Pattaya underpass

Mika78

The underpass on Sukhumvit is prohibited for scooters, as there is a sign indicating this. But I still see people using it all the time: is this because T.I.T or because there are no checkpoints anyway?

I might be interested s to why they prohibit M/Cs under there, seeing as how they are te most common mode of transport here.....when 60% of the ligts were out and it was dark down there I could certainly see reason. 

As to OP, lack of policing and the fact most Thais are scofflaws is why!

If it was a substantial monetary fine, then the BIB's would be all over it. It's rather difficult to make a decent earner for the BIB's given the petty fines here.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I might be interested s to why they prohibit M/Cs under there, seeing as how they are te most common mode of transport here....

I was thinking the same thing. Does the fact that motorbikes cannot use it, apply to all underpasses in the Kingdom?

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/19/2024 at 7:57 AM, Mika78 said:

The underpass on Sukhumvit is prohibited for scooters, as there is a sign indicating this. But I still see people using it all the time:

Road signs generally are an alien concept for Thai drivers.

They have huge directional signs across the motorway and my wife says "Which way?"

28 minutes ago, Mika78 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Does the fact that motorbikes cannot use it, apply to all underpasses in the Kingdom?

Yes it does, same as they are not allowed on flyovers either

• Haha 1

all underpass and overpass, the law was from when motorcycle was not as powerful and often need to be ridden on the hard shoulders, which overpass bridges and tunnels rarely have

even today some would ride too slowly still

• Thanks 1

For a good reason. This is also a motorbike by definition, just imagine you have one of these in front of you in an underpass.

He might even stop to serve a coffee

image.jpeg.bda500f0deebcbb53bce451a3d9efef9.jpeg

Edited by CallumWK

On 7/19/2024 at 7:57 AM, Mika78 said:

The underpass on Sukhumvit is prohibited for scooters, as there is a sign indicating this. But I still see people using it all the time: is this because T.I.T or because there are no checkpoints anyway?

The underpass and overpass regulations are enforced by occasional checkpoints. So you can almost always get away with it, until you finally get caught, as I once did. B400, a warning, and I was on my way. However, in the future I didn't ride my bike on that overpass. I'm normally quite law-abiding and try to maintain a low profile. YMMV.

20 hours ago, Mika78 said:

Not sure on that, but very likely. Also banned on motorways and elevated highways.