Expats angry at huge concessions in latest Thai visa announcements

9 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

If anyone on Non-O hops abroad once a year they also do not "need" to report TM47....just go abroad less than 90 days before your annual extension.

Or ditch your Non-O and buy a DTV...this is an additional choice, not a restriction on anyone.

Whingers whinging for the sake of it.

PH

Not only do you have to travel, but you will also need a reentry permit. Still have to do a TM30 and they might inquire as to the other 3 missing 90 day reports.

Seems anybody making a point is a whinger to you. Perhaps this board is not for you - maybe Hello magazine has a forum where you might feel more comfortable.

Edited by mokwit

19 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I remember Taksin raised the price of PR from 20k to 200k in 2003. he also raised visa extensions from 500 to 1900 baht. Also increased marriage visa bank deposits by 100%.

In 2003 it was still "raining" money with no end in sight. 

Easy task, then.

24/7 tourist business for anyone, even street vendors.

But stupid regulations by "green desk" jockeys followed later.

"Never change a running system!"

Nowadays in sheer desperation, clueless activism is the last resort.

Edited by Maitdjai
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, bdenner said:

Wot's wrong with you??

I'm trying to defend those who try their best to communicate on an English WEB site without full knowledge of the language.

Spare me days!!!!

Let me welcome you to "ba ba bor bor"

Sorry,

I paraphrased it as sarcasm.

Those English lecturers in this forum, whether NES or not, are quite annoying to me.

17 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

If you don't extend your stay then it's quite obvious that you don't need to pay taxes

179 days plus 5 seconds makes it 180 days. And eligible to get a taxed resident. Including reentries.

I don't get this fuzz and the winging about the tax regime anyway.

This country must be crowded with "Alien" Dollar Millionaires, thinking about a "Gipsy" life now, to evade tax paying in TiT.

The rates, including many exemptions, are very comfortable, compared to Western countries.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

20 years ago they started the visa clampdowns. 

Around 2002 and earlier you didn't need to leave the country to get any type of visa you needed. 

You always had to officially, being able to convert to a NON Imm in country was a fairly recent concession - I got  TR converted to a Non B in country in 1995 when it was supposedly impossible. An agent said: "I'd like to know how that got done"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Not only do you have to travel, but you will also need a reentry permit. Still have to do a TM30 and they might inquire as to the other 3 missing 90 day reports.

Seems anybody making a point is a whinger to you. Perhaps this board is not for you - maybe Hello magazine has a forum where you might feel more comfortable.

So half as often as DTV, or DTV gets same reentry permit which, if they do, will require a preeceding 90 day...)

Then again I do both TM30 and TM47 online so take me seconds.

You do what you want, let others do the same but FFS stop whinging.

PH

21 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

TM47 online so take me seconds.

Used to for me, then with the upgrade it got rejected.

Anybody else who thinks I am "whinging" please say so, as I think someone has some kind of internal problem. seriously, keep the Regimental Sergeant Major stuff where it belongs, on an army base.

Edited by mokwit

27 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Used to for me, then with the upgrade it got rejected.

Anybody else who thinks I am "whinging" please say so, as I think someone has some kind of internal problem.

Dont worry, the word whinging is used frequently in the sunburnt country that nobody takes much notice of.

• Love It 1

2 hours ago, Phulublub said:

If anyone on Non-O hops abroad once a year they also do not "need" to report TM47....just go abroad less than 90 days before your annual extension.

Or ditch your Non-O and buy a DTV...this is an additional choice, not a restriction on anyone.

Whingers whinging for the sake of it.

PH

The fact is, Non-O, or -B, is still the "key" visa for many variations of EOS, and even more.

You can ditch it, for the DTV.

To get a "Nomad" of whatever sort. "Bagpacker" might suit.

Lol.

If they flip-flop the rule, you're starting over, right from scratch!

No worries about taxes, tm-30, -47, or residence (at all) anymore. Lol.

"Bad" guys could say, it is a temporary tool to clean up,

when the time seems right.

And "Digital Nomads, Muay Thai" boxing trainees, and cooking course attendees have become obsolete again.

Edited by Maitdjai

On 7/20/2024 at 10:20 AM, racket said:

If he stays on the elite visa program for 16 years, he’ll end up paying just 6,770 baht per month, which is quite reasonable compared to other long-term residency options..

Indeed!  Just 81,240 per year is quite reasonable compared to 2,000 per year for retirement option.  

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, amexpat said:

Indeed!  Just 81,240 per year is quite reasonable compared to 2,000 per year for retirement option.  

No discount at selected spas with retirement option.

• Haha 2

On 7/20/2024 at 9:55 AM, sungod said:

Nothing is stopping whingers like Dan Silverman to ditch his current visa and opt for the new options.

He won't qualify for the DTV.

He's retired. 

• Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, retarius said:

Goodbye Thailand. I made the decision a couple of months back to spend fewer than 180 days a year in Thailand each year, starting this year, and not to file any tax return in Thailand for 2024 nor get a TIN. I also plan to ditch my non-O visa next year at extension time if it turns out that the rumours about the 60 day visa free (+ 30 day extension) are true. Henceforth, I will come only once or twice a year and for 179 days or less, and hope this is a legal way of avoiding taxes in Thailand. If I have to give up my bank account and drivers licence then so be it. If this is incorrect, please let me know. 

The Dual taxation treaty with my home country provides limited relief against Thai taxes. But tax rates in Thailand are so high, and are very high at very low incomes, meaning I am not protected as a reasonably well-off, but by no means rich, person. 

Frankly I am sick to death of the constant, endless and stupid revisions in visa regulations. I lived fully 20 years in another location, before coming here. That country had zero changes to immigration laws during the whole period. The endless tinkering with laws here in Thailand is a symptom of the third-world mentality of Thailand's politicians.

In addition, Thailand seems to me, to becoming more and more racist and hostile to foreigners and expats even though they covet our money. They should be happy enough with the hundred plus thousand dollars I spend here every year. But no, every year there is another new idea to soak foreigners and expats. 

I am sick and tired of politicians spreading dirt about foreigners, during COVID some were really objectionable. And it is not the taxes I object to, I willingly pay my taxes each year in my tax home and will continue to do so, but the atmosphere shows signs of becoming more hostile that is really turning me off the whole idea of Thailand. You don't see organised and overt racism in governments in decent places elsewhere. It sickens me.

Like every other aspect of Thai life, I am convinced that the taxation system here will become totally corrupted and the vile tax inspectors will be looking to make a bundle from overcharging honest expats.  I don't want to ever to be registered as a taxpayer in Thailand and have to sit in front of a corrupt tax inspector looking for a quick bribe. I feel that if I sign up even once and get a TIN number I will be forever hounded by these parasites. I figure in I never sign up, they will be trying to extort those who do sign up way before me. 

Fortunately I have a house elsewhere where I can spend another 179 days each year, then spend a few days each year in Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia or Laos and simply pay taxes to my domicile country as I do now. 

So in the headline tourism figures you now become 2 tourists a year from a higher spending long stay market. Congratulations for contributing to the growth of tourism and vindication of this governments new tourist policy. 😂

• Agree 1

I've got permanent residence, it wasn't cheap and had to use several forests of paper and pass a Thai speaking test, and I can confirm I'm not angry about the new visa rules.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, bradiston said:

Maybe off topic but I think I'll keep my non O with retirement ext. No knowing when they'll rescind this order.

Me, too. But nice to know there would be something to fall back on if this thing is legit and sticks.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Why would an incel not be interested in Malaysia? 

Indeed.

Obviously I didn't think that one through to the end ... 🤣

5 hours ago, john donson said:

If my mom on visit, would have gotten her 60 days, she would have stayed, eat, shop, spend money for 60 days, now she will go back after 30...  last 'extension' took half a day samut prakarn hell hole, no thank you

tried all the banks, even kasikorn where I am a THE WISDOM client, did not want to open an account for her to convert easy to retirement visa... red tape

malaysia has been giving 90 day on entry for ages and thailand thinks they invented hot water again with the temporary 60

Be good if they just moved 1900 bath extensions to online portal method.

Simple.

Can do that in Sri Lanka I believe.

It should come soon as numbers swell in the future beyond breaking pount at offices.

• Haha 1