Ex-Pats targeted on Sky Train

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's an opinion, not a fact.

perhaps I've been watching the wrong news and podcasts. Perhaps you could educate me as to why this is just an opinion. There is no need for this to go through parliament apparently, the present tax laws with tweeks are sufficient to put this into operation. It's clear that the tax office is targeting Thai companies and rich individuals who are taking advantage of the one year rule to avoid taxation but unfortunately we are now under the same umbrella.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:

Seriously, WTF are you taking about?

The OP was talking about current concessions and you are babbling on about future changes to match 'possible' future tax payments.

And you had the Cojones to tell me to keep up.  :cheesy:

I'm referring to concessions, and future tax payments are fact, not just 'possible'

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I'm referring to concessions, and future tax payments are fact, not just 'possible'

and future tax payments are fact, not just 'possible'

Are you suggesting that every ex-pat will have to pay tax????????????

Again babbling on and not making no sense.

You really should learn when it is better to shut up and let the adults talk, lest you show how dense a person can truly be.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Bert got kinky said:

and future tax payments are fact, not just 'possible'

Are you suggesting that every ex-pat will have to pay tax????????????

Again babbling on and not making no sense.

You really should learn when it is better to shut up and let the adults talk, lest you show how dense a person can truly be.

Yes that is what is being broadcast, a Brit I know has already been to a tax accountant and had his future tax worked out, 40k Baht. I've worked out mine using the table for deductions, wife, child, age, etc. and come to 28k.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

"Ex-Pats targeted on Sky Train"

What a stupid headline.

Nobody is targeting ex-pats.

If you want to be a group of targeted people, then call it old foreigners in Thailand who think they deserve a discount. 

I am an expat, and I am not targeted.

How much tax do you pay, or did you pay in Thailand? Do you think you deserve to get a discount? 

And are you so poor that you can't afford the very reasonable adult price for a ticket?

Stop whining!

It isn't the amount that is important it's the principle, I will probably be the only person in my village paying tax and yet they can get concessions that I don't qualify for.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Dual pricing has never bothered me. Happens world-wide. In my own country, for example, foreign students at universities are charged up to 4 times more than locals.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, connda said:

But trust me.  Any Thai living in the Thai enclaves around North Hollywood would be screaming bloody murder if Los Angles Metro ran a "senior discount" and Thai were told, "Sorry.  American citizen only."  Oh people would be screaming, "RACISM", and the entire fiasco would end up in US Federal Court as discrimination.

In Thailand?  Racism is institutionalized and approved by the government and society.  "Solly farang."

Maybe Thailand has it right, and the collective West is wrong?

3 hours ago, soalbundy said:

We pay tax on every purchase we make but at the end of this year we are expected to pay an income tax on money remitted to Thailand, even worse is the consideration that we may be taxed on any earnings made in our home countries.

Would banks pass on this information considering we're led to believe that all banking is confidential.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

It's amazing all the Tax accountants that can predict the future tax rules for foreigners.

Meanwhile the Thai government changes it's mind every week or so.

Ganja ...... legal or not.

VISA ....... 30 days, 60 days, 180 days

10k wallet ........ maybe

MFP ban or keep

The rules are the same as for Thais, no prediction needed. The tax on remittance of money to Thailand is fixed, the only thing in the balance is whether they will tax all earnings, dividends,interest etc. in our home countries. The German consulate letter I received for proof of pension for the IO contained a clause asking that I be spared paying tax in Thailand due to the double taxation agreement. As I don't pay tax in Germany I asked the German tax office for clarification, they told me that I am not taxed in Germany as they assumed I would pay tax in Thailand, so no help there.

48 minutes ago, connda said:

But trust me.  Any Thai living in the Thai enclaves around North Hollywood would be screaming bloody murder if Los Angles Metro ran a "senior discount" and Thai were told, "Sorry.  American citizen only."  Oh people would be screaming, "RACISM", and the entire fiasco would end up in US Federal Court as discrimination.

In Thailand?  Racism is institutionalized and approved by the government and society.  "Solly farang."

How is this racism?

There are many countries in the world that have discounts/concessions for residents, including Los Angles and the rest of America ?

It's sad how easily people cry racism just because they don't agree with something.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mason45 said:

Would banks pass on this information considering we're led to believe that all banking is confidential.

Yes as there is an international agreement concerning tax liabilities and Thailand (under pressure so I read somewhere) has just signed up to this agreement, information from banks and other such organizations will pass freely to the tax offices of any signed up country, there is a big clamp down on tax avoidance.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

People, we are all immigrants in this country - and judging by posts I've read here over the last few years, many if you are "economic migrants" taking advantage of the lower cost of living. 

Check out how your own country treats immigrants and, in particular , economic migrants, before complaining about Thailand. 

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The British Museum, Tate Modern and Science Museum are among the UK cultural institutions being encouraged to charge foreign visitors to see their treasures. The former interim director of London's British Museum, Sir Mark Jones, believes foreign visitors to the UK's museums and galleries should pay a £20 entrance fee.2 Jul 2024

Plenty of countries have concessions for their own citizens

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I topped up my Elder Card last week, but I didn't look to see if I'm still getting the discount.  It's peanuts, so I really don't care.  In fact, I felt guilty when I was getting the discounted rate, knowing what a lot of the Thai people make.  To whom even small money makes a big difference.

Bless your heart.

The title of this needs to be changed.

Expats are not targeted on Sky Train.

Old Western senile seniors are not given the same rights as Thai seniors.

If you want the same rights, go back to your country. You are too old to be in Thailand anyway. Next you will be complaining how there are no accessible wheelchairs for you on Thai roads,

I dislike Thailand about certain issues as much as the next old senile sexpat, but this title is a bit too much. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/20/2024 at 5:42 PM, DaLa said:

I can't afford to travel to the theme parks any longer though.

Last tourist places visited was monthlong trip 2023 to USA. Let’s see Georgia’s Aquarium, Coca-Cola Museum, DisneyWorld, Universal Studios, NASA Kennedy Space Center, St. Augustine Nat’l Fort, Patriot Point, Montecello, Williamsburg, Jamestown, then a week going to the National Mall, sites, museums, White House, Capitol. My Thai Wife and Stepdaughter were changed any admission costs the same as myself as a U.S. citizen. No, Royal Thailand Tourism … discriminatory admission charges for non-Thais is not a wise not good thing to attract tourists. I am a Thai resident Expat for over a decade and should not be charged more for not being Thai.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2024 at 4:44 PM, marin said:

I had 3 covid injections all free and provided by the government. 3 different locations in reality.

I also got the free shots … as a result of the USA COVID Vaccine donations to Thailand for all.

• Like 1