What is the combo method for a Non-O visa.

Can someone please explain the "combo method ", for getting a Non-o visa ? I know from internet searches, I need total of 800K baht in the Bank. So for example, if I had 6 months income from  American Social Security at 65K per month, could I make the difference by money in the bank ?  Of would need 12 straight months of deposits still ?  

• Like 1

I am allowed to use the Combo Method for my Retirement Extension. Instead of 800k in the bank, or 65k per month, my IO accepts 400k in the bank and 35k per month, the total of which is 420k. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Can someone please explain the "combo method ", for getting a Non-o visa ? I know from internet searches, I need total of 800K baht in the Bank. So for example, if I had 6 months income from  American Social Security at 65K per month, could I make the difference by money in the bank ?  Of would need 12 straight months of deposits still ?  

depends on the Immigration office, got one at Rayong about a year and a half ago and they wanted to see 800,000 in the bank on day of application. On my first extension I used the monthly method which I was covered for over twelve months

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

You cannot use the Combo method to obtain a Non Imm O visa.
It can only be used to obtain a 1-year extension of your permit to stay based on retirement.

It's a combination of monthly overseas transfers and funds deposited in a Thai bank, totalling 800K THB for the year.
You require 12 x overseas monthly overseas transfers.

Best answer on here 👍 👍 👍 Billpro785  follow this advice 🙂 

• Like 1

OP, only thing to add to some earlier replies is that you also need check with your immigration office.

Some straight up refuse to accept combination method.

Unlikely but check.

You will need to show 12 month of transfers for your extension.

Discussed by ubonjoe here

https://aseannow.com/topic/1259738-combination-method-for-retirement-extension/

• Like 2

Screenshot2024-07-23075201.png.f9c8c6f3ad6ce6ccefac9f914e9f8465.png

Clause (3) using the income method.
Clause (4) using the funds method.
Clause (5) using the combo method.

If you are not a national of the US, UK or Australia, you may be able to obtain a certificate of income from your Embassy.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, only thing to add to some earlier replies is that you also need check with your immigration office.

Some straight up refuse to accept combination method.

Other Immigration offices insist the minimum funds must be 400K maintained throughout the year, which would then require 12 x 35K THB monthly overseas transfers.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

Other Immigration offices insist the minimum funds must be 400K maintained throughout the year, which would then require 12 x 35K THB monthly overseas transfers.

Indeed and I get the impression most guys using combo method maintain the 400k all year as you outlined. 

• Agree 2

Thanks for all the replies. I will check with my local immigration office in Kanchanaburi to see exactly what they accept. My visa expires in Feb 2025. I will use the money in the bank method this time, and for 2026 use the income method. Have been using an agent but want to get away from that. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Have been using an agent but want to get away from that. 

Not exactly clear what service the agent has provided.

If in fact he has covered the financial requirements then you may need to start over with a new non O.

You state ..."My visa expires in Feb 2025.'

Just be clear you have a permission of stay. Valid till Feb 2025 not a visa. 

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

My visa expires in Feb 2025

Your Non Imm O visa would have expired or been 'used' a long time ago.
It's only purpose now is to denote you have 'Non Immigrant' status, as opposed to 'Tourist' status.

You were originally granted a permission of stay for 90 days, and it is that permission of stay you extend each year, a permit, not a visa.

Your current stamp states 'permitted to stay until xx Feb 2025'.

55 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Thanks for all the replies. I will check with my local immigration office in Kanchanaburi to see exactly what they accept. My visa expires in Feb 2025. I will use the money in the bank method this time, and for 2026 use the income method. Have been using an agent but want to get away from that. 

Just a word of caution when changing from funds to income method.

Using the 800K funds method in 2025, you are agreeing to the conditions of maintaining 800K for 3 months after the extension is issued, then maintain a minimum of 400K BHT.

To change to income based in 2026, you must still meet the conditions for the extension based on funds, issued in 2025.

• Agree 1

I'm no EXPERT but. #4  ( #2 TRAT immigration. as some say it is allowed at some I.O. Although this is not clear as it mentions Thai banks.

1227268801_RETIREVISA(2).JPG.94d6d3c322b25b6386ce6f7c4b94f438.thumb.jpg.ee6d6ab0a69c0918bbe3f58334c10634.jpg

Edited by brianthainess

If you wire in 65,000 each month, you do not need to keep any money in the bank. Be sure that the code indicates that the money comes from a foreign source.   The Bangkok Bank code is TFT.  If you want to extend your permission to stay, either partially or completely based on money wired in, I think that you should start wiring it in now.  Any combination of money in the bank and money wired in should get prior approval from your IO just to be safe.

4 hours ago, DogNo1 said:

The Bangkok Bank code is TFT

Correction: it is actually FTT (standing for Foreign Telegraphic Transfer). Not sure whether any of the remaining banks indicate the foreign origin of monthly 65k transfers in a similar manner, though - meaning that the OP might need to obtain credit advice notes unless his monthly transfers are to be made into a Bangkok Bank account solely in his name.

Edited by OJAS
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Not sure whether any of the remaining banks indicate the foreign origin of monthly 65k transfers in a similar manner, though

. . . . .

From Wise' website:

For Kasikorn Bank, ‘Trade Finance Deposit' marking is equivalent to ‘International Funds Transfer’.

• Thanks 2

My bad.  It is FTT.  My memory is unreliable these day.  Immigration requires that the money comes from a foreign source each month. For the retirement-based extension of stay, you must wire in at least 65,000 each month with no months skipped.  Some money transfer services wire money to a different bank and then transfer the 65,000 to your bank account.  This is not acceptable to immigration since the transfer code in your bankbook will not be FTT.

8 minutes ago, DogNo1 said:

Some money transfer services wire money to a different bank and then transfer the 65,000 to your bank account.  This is not acceptable to immigration since the transfer code in your bankbook will not be FTT.

It is acceptable, however in the example you outlined you would need to obtain "credit advice" from bank.

That will show internal transfer and initial foreign transfer 

Yes, you can go through the steps with the bank which originally received the money to prove that it came from a foreign source.

On 7/23/2024 at 9:48 AM, Liquorice said:

Just a word of caution when changing from funds to income method.

Using the 800K funds method in 2025, you are agreeing to the conditions of maintaining 800K for 3 months after the extension is issued, then maintain a minimum of 400K BHT.

To change to income based in 2026, you must still meet the conditions for the extension based on funds, issued in 2025.

Greetings. I am aware f the requirements you've stated. However, for my 2nd one year extension, meeting those requirements, I was given a notice to return in 90 days to prove I had maintained 800K. When I returned in June, Jomtien IO said I could now use 400K, maintain 65K per month transfer, but 2 months prior to next year's renewal I'd have to transfer 400K back to meet the 800K for my next extension.

Is that the case or did the IO screw up? I'm now nearing 2 years of maintaining 800K AND 65K monthly. Unfortunately, my embassy is to lazy to provide income letters even for government Social Security benefits.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

The io is correct

Well, I forgot to mention that he asked if I was married to a Thai. I said "No". He said "YES, you have to send back money to make 800K two months before next application."

Seems kind of ridiculous to me to send 400K back and forth.

Thanks for your reply.

On 7/23/2024 at 8:10 AM, Liquorice said:

That's the policy at Hua Hin, PKK province.

1 hour ago, Joebuzzz said:

However, for my 2nd one year extension, meeting those requirements, I was given a notice to return in 90 days to prove I had maintained 800K. When I returned in June, Jomtien IO said I could now use 400K, maintain 65K per month transfer, but 2 months prior to next year's renewal I'd have to transfer 400K back to meet the 800K for my next extension.

Is that the case or did the IO screw up?

57 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The io is correct

I disagree Jack.

If I'm interpreting @Joebuzzz post correctly, his extension renewal date was in March.

In June, he was required to evidence the 800K had remained in his account for 3 months after his extension was approved.

Provided he maintains a minimum of 400K balance for the next 7 months, he has met the financial requirement of his current extension.

(800K for 2 months prior, 3 months after, then 400K for 7 months = the 12-month qualifying period).

For his next extension, March 2025 - March 2026, using the Combo method, it would only require 400K for 2 months prior to the application, maintained for the next 10 months, and proof of International overseas transfers from Jan 2024 to Jan 2025 of 35K.

If correct in what the IO stated, that is maintaining 65K overseas transfers and 2 months prior to his 2025 extension renewal date top up the funds to 800K, then that is just confusing. It would mean Joebuzz would qualify for the extension based on funds, income and the combo methods.

Maybe a miscommunication, or one or the other is confused.

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

If correct in what the IO stated, that is maintaining 65K overseas transfers and 2 months prior to his 2025 extension renewal date top up the funds to 800K, then that is just confusing. It would mean Joebuzz would qualify for the extension based on funds, income and the combo methods

You are correct about not needing to take bank balance back up to 800k two months prior to extension for 2025..... However as always with immigration best practice is to "cover all bases" 

If there is slightest issue with OP changing to income or combo method he can fall back on him meeting funds in the bank method

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

You are correct about not needing to take bank balance back up to 800k two months prior to extension for 2025..... However as always with immigration best practice is to "cover all bases" 

If there is slightest issue with OP changing to income or combo method he can fall back on him meeting funds in the bank method

The only issue with that is, when applying, if the IO sees 800K funds in an account for the previous 2 months, he'll process it based on using that method. If @Joebuzz ensures he has at least 12 x 65K monthly overseas transfers on the day of submitting the application and only 400K funds deposited, he would at least qualify for the extension using the income method.

8 minutes ago, Liquorice said:

The only issue with that is, when applying, if the IO sees 800K funds in an account for the previous 2 months, he'll process it based on using that method

In future (Nov) will post my experience. Currently I'm in process of changing from funds in bank to income method. 

I will maintain 800k+ since last (current) extension.

At same time I have been doing monthly transfers of 65k +.

Intend to point 12 months of transfers to io and hopefully that will be all good to continue with the transfers and drop the funds in bank options

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/28/2024 at 9:13 AM, Liquorice said:

I disagree Jack.

If I'm interpreting @Joebuzzz post correctly, his extension renewal date was in March.

In June, he was required to evidence the 800K had remained in his account for 3 months after his extension was approved.

Provided he maintains a minimum of 400K balance for the next 7 months, he has met the financial requirement of his current extension.

(800K for 2 months prior, 3 months after, then 400K for 7 months = the 12-month qualifying period).

For his next extension, March 2025 - March 2026, using the Combo method, it would only require 400K for 2 months prior to the application, maintained for the next 10 months, and proof of International overseas transfers from Jan 2024 to Jan 2025 of 35K.

If correct in what the IO stated, that is maintaining 65K overseas transfers and 2 months prior to his 2025 extension renewal date top up the funds to 800K, then that is just confusing. It would mean Joebuzz would qualify for the extension based on funds, income and the combo methods.

Maybe a miscommunication, or one or the other is confused.

Thanks for the reply.

You understood my post. I did provide 800K for over a year, plus 65K for 15 months, got O-Visa March 2023, first extension March 2024, had to return and show 800K in June 2024.

IO said I could go to 400K for 7 months and would have to top up back to 800K. He said I could only stay at 400K if I were married.

Maybe I'll go talk to them during my 90 day next month and see if there's a different opinion. I have read where someone else had a note or something put in their passport regarding income method on Retirement Visa.

In the end, this garbage is the direct result of the US Embassy refusing to notarize a benefit letter from Social Security. Why? I guess they're just plain lazy. It was good when they just lied for everybody for 50 bucks 7 years ago.

Edited by Joebuzzz
text error

33 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

IO said I could go to 400K for 7 months and would have to top up back to 800K. He said I could only stay at 400K if I were married.

The IO is incorrect if you intend to use the Combo method.

That would only require 400K funds for 12 months prior to the date of application, plus 12 months evidence of 35K overseas transfers, which would total 820K for the year.

33 minutes ago, Joebuzzz said:

In the end, this garbage is the direct result of the US Embassy refusing to notarize a benefit letter from Social Security. Why? I guess they're just plain lazy. It was good when they just lied for everybody for 50 bucks 7 years ago.

It's because folk lied on their affidavits and Stat Decs, which was an abuse of the system, that led to the meetings between Thai Immigration and Foreign Embassies and the eventual withdrawal of the service.

Edited by Liquorice