"I've seen 'em come and go and I've seen 'em die. And long ago I stopped askin' why."

19 hours ago, simon43 said:

Beat you by 18 months 🙂  Such a lot has changed with this forum - and mostly not for the better...

Here another one

October 30, 2004

19 hours ago, FriscoKid said:

Who cares. Get a life. There is a lot more to think about in the world other than some anonymous cyber community where many create fake characters, moan about everything and seem drunk most of the time like @bob smith. Those who place that much importance on a forum probably stay home all day, have nothing going on and no real friends. Think about it. 

Thought about it and...

...you're mostly wrong FriscoNewb

:coffee1:

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:53 AM, simon43 said:

Beat you by 18 months 🙂  Such a lot has changed with this forum - and mostly not for the better...

Sorry, I joined the forum in 2011 and I think the forum has got better especially more recently when the mods have stopped being so heavy handed, I can now give my opinions a lot  easier now without wondering if I am going to get a suspension.

23 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

Some, trollers, do exactly that. Low self esteem or narcissism shows it's ugly head, arguing because they always think they are right, even when proven wrong. Some just post things to get a rise out of people, or a laugh. Some target certain people who have proven them wrong before, and they feel the need to argue with those people just because. Some think they are actually smarter than people they've never met, which is usually due to low self esteem. Instead of just sitting back and learning from others, they have to jump in and try and prove them wrong by posting links by people who make opinions on subjects, just because they believed  them before.

"Some, trollers, do exactly that. Low self esteem or narcissism shows it's ugly head," I see what you mean, one poster thinks it is OK to drive when you are drunk, and another thinks it is OK for the UK government to steal the OAP's state pension annual increases from them.

On 7/24/2024 at 1:43 PM, FriscoKid said:

No, those are for children who like to doom scroll all day looking at garbage. You use those too? I only use YouTube, but I guess that's not what you were hoping for. 

I thought You Tube was for watching, not communicating as is FBook and the others.

On 7/24/2024 at 1:43 PM, FriscoKid said:

No, those are for children who like to doom scroll all day looking at garbage. You use those too? I only use YouTube, but I guess that's not what you were hoping for. 

Children under 18 aren't allowed on Facebook. Most of the people are 25-34 as you can see in this link.........https://www.statista.com/statistics/187549/facebook-distribution-of-users-age-group-usa/

On 7/24/2024 at 12:38 AM, FriscoKid said:

Right. But I don't take it as seriously as some who consider this forum their life. 

I joined back in 2009.It was never 'my life' I had/have a real life. 

Back then before bots and AI, it was a lot more informative and fun banter, although I may be remembering that through rose colored online spectacles!

In that time I've seen a lot come and go.

Some leave just because they get fed up of it, or unfortunately due to the demographics of the forum a lot are dead.

We moved back to the US as our primary, and Thailand is the vacation home, so I've seen my interest decline.

I dont participate in Thai news any more, doesn't concern or interest me anymore, far cry from the coup days.

But the Pub & Lounge they'll spark my interest from time to time.

The other reason I started losing interest was, and we can all tell, the clickbate posts have gone through the roof, and I just have lost the interest to wade through the detritus just to get to something interesting.

I've had some wonderful online ding dongs with folks, but never vicious and we always kissed and made up (with some exceptions), not so sure thats true now.

Not sure what the future of this forum holds, but clearly for some of us it has changed beyond what we remember

• Agree 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:53 AM, simon43 said:

The wig wam hotel in Phuket and radio ham in Laos...remember many of your posts 👍 

On 7/24/2024 at 7:11 AM, Neeranam said:

I remember you from my early days. Yes, we know why. 

I joined in 2004 too. I must admit the wonderful characters that were there then have not been replaced. 

On 7/24/2024 at 4:17 PM, simon43 said:

Hi, how did you dig out your first post on ThaiVisa?  I think my profile messages only go back a short time...

He must have been a very good boy. IME any time I copped a suspension, all my posts got wiped.

6 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Sorry, I joined the forum in 2011 and I think the forum has got better especially more recently when the mods have stopped being so heavy handed, I can now give my opinions a lot  easier now without wondering if I am going to get a suspension.

Agree. If the mods find a post objectionable, simply deleting it is a much better way to manage than acting like Goebbels or Khomeini.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2024 at 11:03 AM, Terrance8812 said:

But so does Covfefe, I mean Trump, no wait...

Cant the GOP come up with a candidate who isn't a convicted criminal felon, a confirmed sex offender, and who isn't almost 80 years old? 🤦🏻‍♂️

I hope not.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2024 at 1:31 PM, BobBKK said:

Many of us have been here in a past life - reincarnation is a beautiful thing 😉

I had a laptop completely crash, and got locked out of my e-mail and all google accounts, I had to re-register with a new e-mail, but I was here years before that. just saying. 

• Haha 1