I'm starting to feel sorry for Joe Biden...

2 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Very true. We had to have that conversation with my father after he had a stroke. It was not pleasant...  Imagine how peaceful life would have been if Joe has simply stated he was not standing for re-election BEFORE the Democratic primaries started. Plus better for the country overall, America is now showing its ass around the world and people are not impressed.

Well you have to admit, tactical it is geniously done, and in comes Kamala as a fresh wind the last minute. I was quite sure Joe would be put aside just in time to announce a new candidate. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good riddance.  Unfortunately no term limits for Congress members, as another career politician leaves the stage, after telling us how things need to be better and he/she is the person to do it.

Yet, when he first got in office, one income was enough for the American Dream.  Now two incomes, 2-3X the minimum wage, and public assistance, to help feed the family, doesn't seem to be enough for the basics and savings for the future.

Good job Joe ... 50+ yrs of failure to change anything for the good... IMHO

• Sad 4
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Poor old guy, he gave it his best shot.  Now he has been hung out to dry by his party. They forced him into a debate that they knew he wasn't ready for, used that as an excuse to sharpen the knives, then threw him under the bus. Now, just a couple of days later, crickets.  It is as if he never existed. Never mind, everyone, nothing to see here, we have a new queen to coronate! The media has forgotten him in the stampede to rehabilitate Kamala and elevate her to the big chair. 

He resigned by Tweet in a letter written by someone else, has yet to appear before the American people to explain what happened.

Et tu, Nancy? 

Democracy , dem style , Elites rule!

remember obama pulled bernie aside and convinced him to stand down during 2020.

https://www.businessinsider.com/obama-convinced-bernie-sanders-to-drop-out-2020-race-2020-4

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

That is right .

The Trump team has to rethink it's strategy now .

Kamala was a prosecutor , Trump is a convicted felon .

Gonna be interesting ...

see the thing is though that she was also rumored to be other things and that will be used against her. no matter ones opinion. 

the court of public opinion and all that. 

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Good riddance.  Unfortunately no term limits for Congress members, as another career politician leaves the stage, after telling us how things need to be better and he/she is the person to do it.

Yet, when he first got in office, one income was enough for the American Dream.  Now two incomes, 2-3X the minimum wage, and public assistance, to help feed the family, doesn't seem to be enough for the basics and savings for the future.

Good job Joe ... 50+ yrs of failure to change anything for the good... IMHO

IMHO

The only true bit in this comment!

• Sad 1

37 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

That is right .

The Trump team has to rethink it's strategy now .

Kamala was a prosecutor , Trump is a convicted felon .

Gonna be interesting ...

True, but Kamala the Prosecutor was a long time ago. Her more recent record as Attorney General (an election she came very close to losing), her utter failure in 2020, and her invisibility (to be generous) as VP matter far more. There needs to be some extensive rebranding of her image to make her palatable to the public. She has supported some very radical measures that are not in line with the general public zeitgeist in the US.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, stoner said:

see the thing is though that she was also rumored to be other things and that will be used against her. no matter ones opinion. 

Over the last 48 hours, Harris has been derided as a radical California liberal; she has been smeared as a “DEI” candidate; she has been denigrated as a “mistress” for her previous relationship with former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown, even though it occurred after Brown was separated from his wife and was not a secret; she has been ridiculed for her laugh and described as unlikeable; she has been characterized as having been too tough on crime as a prosecutor, but also pro-illegal immigration; she has had her candidacy labeled a “coup”; and she has been subjected to commentators mocking even the pronunciation of her name, among other things.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/24/media/right-wing-media-kamala-harris-dei-race-attacks/index.html

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Over the last 48 hours, Harris has been derided as a radical California liberal; she has been smeared as a “DEI” candidate; she has been denigrated as a “mistress” for her previous relationship with former San Francisco Mayor Willie Brown, even though it occurred after Brown was separated from his wife and was not a secret; she has been ridiculed for her laugh and described as unlikeable; she has been characterized as having been too tough on crime as a prosecutor, but also pro-illegal immigration; she has had her candidacy labeled a “coup”; and she has been subjected to commentators mocking even the pronunciation of her name, among other things.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/24/media/right-wing-media-kamala-harris-dei-race-attacks/index.html

They are not 'slurs' if they are true.

She was and is a California liberal, judging by her political positions.

She was chosen as VP on the basis of her race and gender.

She DID have an affair with a married man. Separated yes, but married. Also 30 years older. Also the purpose was to further her career- and it worked, according to the married man she was sleeping with. THAT is the problem. 

She may very well be unlikeable if you go by the turnover of her staff. More than 90% have left since 2020.

Time will tell. The GOP should focus on her politics and her failures.

17 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Perhaps if anything good comes out of this debacle, that might be it. Term limits for all levels, not just President. I mean, look at who is running both parties, from Pelosi to Schumer to Grassley... all dinosaurs.  I would venture that 2 terms at each level, and no more re-election after 70, would be reasonable. There is no reason for someone to be in Congress for 3 decades.

Or the Supreme Court! I'm not an American, but from an outsider's perspective...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, bradiston said:

Or the Supreme Court! I'm not an American, but from an outsider's perspective...

Something could be worked out. But the key is to keep the Supremes away from politics. Having fixed terms would make the justices part of the political system and vulnerable to responding to politics rather than ruling based on the Constitution. Almost by nature a judgeship needs to be a terminal position, followed by retirement or death. 

2 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

True, but Kamala the Prosecutor was a long time ago. Her more recent record as Attorney General (an election she came very close to losing), her utter failure in 2020, and her invisibility (to be generous) as VP matter far more. There needs to be some extensive rebranding of her image to make her palatable to the public. She has supported some very radical measures that are not in line with the general public zeitgeist in the US.

Aren't VPs always near invisible? But you seem to suggest she was far from invisible. She was well known outside the US for sure. Probably would get along well with the EU's Ursula for one. I hope she makes it. Great chance for change in US politics. One of the few remaining democracies that has failed to elect a woman as president or equivalent. And I think it shows. Stupid men!

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Something could be worked out. But the key is to keep the Supremes away from politics. Having fixed terms would make the justices part of the political system and vulnerable to responding to politics rather than ruling based on the Constitution. Almost by nature a judgeship needs to be a terminal position, followed by retirement or death. 

But every administration given the opportunity, which isn't very often, makes sure their man or woman is "on side" with regards to the administration's requirements, forever! Imagine! 30 years of nodding through contentious legislation. Give them a 5 year term. Enough already!

No, I don't feel sorry for him. I'm grateful for his service to his country over the past 50 years or so, but I'm just relieved he decided to step aside and let Harris face Trump in the upcoming elections. I think she has a lot better chance than he would have.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Hummin said:

It is like a dear family member who do not want to give up driving car and someone have to say stop before it is to late. Joe should have understood he could not continue himself. 

What a <deleted>show it is

Like Trump , he can’t even remember what he read a second ago off a teleprompter, Johnson also , Donnie Dementia should step down , someone needs a Diaper Change Bigly 

IMG_2365.png

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I smell a Trumpanzee