What's happening and when at the Paris Olympics?

CharlieH

Day 1: Thursday 26 July, 0 gold medals

Highlights

The women’s football group stage begins. GB did not qualify via England as the nominated home nation and neither did Sweden, losing finalists at the last two Olympics. Defending champions Canada begin against New Zealand (16:00). Hosts France play Colombia at 20:00.

The men’s sevens isn’t hanging around. A day before the opening ceremony, we’ll be into the quarter-finals by 20:00. Fiji have won both Olympic men’s titles so far. New Zealand, who were the losing finalists last time, play Ireland (15:30) in the day’s final pool game.

Brit watch

Team GB’s archers will take part in their sport’s ranking round for the individual events. This does not eliminate anyone, it is simply a preliminary stage that seeds the archers for the main competition.

World watch

Emma Hayes, who just left Chelsea after 12 years in charge, will coach the US women at Olympic level for the first time when they face Zambia at 20:00. The US won four of the first five Olympic women’s football titles but have only been on the podium once since 2012, a bronze medal in Tokyo.

Expert knowledge

The first handball games of Paris 2024 run throughout the day as the women’s event starts. France’s handball team have shown incredible progress, going from a nation that never qualified for this event to the silver medallists in Rio and champions in Tokyo. They are also the defending world champions after winning gold without losing any of their nine games last year.

Under handball’s rules, France as hosts got to choose their group having seen who had already been drawn. They wisely opted to avoid Norway, Denmark and South Korea, who have collectively won seven of the past nine Olympic titles and are all in the other group. France instead begin their campaign against Hungary, who came through a qualifying tournament to bag one of the remaining places, at 18:00.

More from the BBC

sPORT-bbc.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The opening on the Seine was certainly stylish and innovative.

I bet it could had been to much of creativity for some other parts than Europe, who after all are used to the colorful Euro Song contest 😁

• Confused 2

I almost never watch hockey, although I have played; but today I watched the match between the German ladies and Japan.

It put many Premier League soccer matches to shame!

End to end attacking, fantastic work and fitness levels, skilled wingers. attacking central players, heroic defence - two goal win for Germany.

Great!