Hong Kong policeman’s fatal fall from baht bus sparks safety outcry

webfact

10 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Classic "nanny" stater... what happened to self awareness?

I don't know why they needed to state he was a Hong Kong cop, but as a cop there, you'd expect him to be more aware of his safety than the average person.

In Pattaya he is a tourist, not a cop. Saying he was a cop will likely diminish sympathy for him, here and in China.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

He was facing the wrong way for that to be true.

So no.

Have a look at the clip of the accident.

To me it looked like he was being cocky thinking he didn't need to wait for the bus to stop. I've seen people jump off moving busses here before without incident. Generally a young man's thing.

• Agree 1

Just now, Jingthing said:

To me it looked like he was being cocky thinking he didn't need to wait for the bus to stop. I've seen people jump off moving busses here before without incident. Generally a young man's thing.

Could be.

I've seen people get off to quickly and trip, but not die like this guy.

19 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I still maintain he stepped off the moving bus, that was going at a constant speed, he never rang the bell either.

Well I didn't notice whether he rang the bell or not, but certainly appears he stepped off the back while it was moving quite fast. Facing rearward too, so his feet would immediately be whipped from under him. 

• Agree 1

I seen a drunk fall from a baht bus in Pattaya, and lucky for him he only bruised his ego. He got up and stumbled into a near by bar.

I guess this Hong Kong guy was not as lucky.

I like the baht buses, very effective and low costi I just try not to get that drunk, and so far so good.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/26/2024 at 6:24 AM, hotchilli said:

That's what foreigners who die mean to Thailand...

Never heard of anyone going to be compensated for that amount. This story rolling out the red carpet of help when they wouldn't lift a finger to help those who got burn alive or hurt in the Sattahip fire the dead got offered 50,000 baht. Writer must have accidently added a 0. 😃

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I will take that as an insult, but what is a democrat?😁 Is that one of those American thingies?

NO... it is worldwide by definition... One who believes in social equality or discounts distinctions in rank.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

NO... it is worldwide by definition... One who believes in social equality or discounts distinctions in rank.

One may believe in social equality. Putting it into practice is a whole different ball game, especially when it is supposedly practiced by governments.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Well I didn't notice whether he rang the bell or not, but certainly appears he stepped off the back while it was moving quite fast. Facing rearward too, so his feet would immediately be whipped from under him. 

The driver told the cops he never rang the bell............

The bus was empty bar for this poor fella unfortunately, it serves as a warning, if a baht bus arrives full don't ride on the steps, wait for the next one, otherwise it could be a 10 baht ride to oblivion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Polaky said:

The bus was empty bar for this poor fella unfortunately, it serves as a warning, if a baht bus arrives full don't ride on the steps, wait for the next one, otherwise it could be a 10 baht ride to oblivion. 

What?

I thought we went to heaven (or Pattaya?)

• Haha 2

In the CCTV footage shown (with blurred out images) you can clearly see the average speed of these busses as one of the same color goes by. Then some time elapses and you see a blue 'bus' clearly slow down, literally 'drop off' the passenger onto the road, and then the driver speeds off as the passenger lay on the street, dead upon impact. 

Edited by Foreign Jim

On 7/26/2024 at 6:54 AM, 2baht said:

Geniuses. as a rule, don't ride or drive baht busses on Beach Road! If you know one, let me know!

I don't know many geniuses, but I know of plenty of people who have been passengers on Baht buses, myself included. Being a passenger on a Baht bus, does not make a person an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/26/2024 at 10:44 AM, newnative said:

Watch the video. The rider either fell off or tried to jump off while the baht bus was moving at a normal rate of speed.  Sorry, but an accident entirely the rider's fault.

Impossible to see exactly what happened!

This is crazy. Clip shows baht bus at constant speed and the guy just went out the back of the bus. There'd be no one yelling at baht bus to stop as he is long gone at that same speed

Looks like the guy just decided to step off a moving bus

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

This is crazy. Clip shows baht bus at constant speed and the guy just went out the back of the bus. There'd be no one yelling at baht bus to stop as he is long gone at that same speed

Looks like the guy just decided to step off a moving bus

Watched the video, he was facing the direction of stepping off but my gut reaction is something was wrong... to me he did not seem to be in the motion of stepping off a moving vehicle... so I have lots of questions, was he having a medical episode that disoriented him, was he dangerously intoxicated,... I have so so many possible questions that may never be answered...  I won't make the assumption at this point it was the passengers fault, just know it is not the driver's fault... in any case it was a freak incident.

On 7/26/2024 at 5:11 AM, scubascuba3 said:

500k death compensation is nothing for a foreigner

For a Thai, it's the going rate. For everyone else, there's travel insurance.

On 7/26/2024 at 5:22 PM, tonypattaya said:

The most likely cause was that the baht bus pulled away before the passenger took his seat. thereby jolting him backwards. The fact that the driver sped away when the public were shouting at him to stop is reprehensible and, for that alone, he should serve a long prison sentence.

If he was getting on the songthaew he would have been leaning forward and usually grabbing a rail to pull yourself in.  It takes at most 2 seconds to step up and in, and it does not look like that person boarded at that point.  The video shows the vehicle moving forward at a constant speed at the time it records the person in question.  The person is not facing forward as he would be if he was getting in at that point, the person is facing away from the driver when he exits and his feet go down and he falls towards the driver backwards as the vehicle moves forward (and he is not in a spinning motion).  The back of the persons head hits the ground hard... One person is who saw the person fall on the ground ran to him, there were no other people responding to the incident. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/26/2024 at 8:15 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Darwin rules the world... let's make all riders put on helmets before boarding a baht bus that might keep the idiots safer.

🤡 

• Haha 1