Just Stop Oil Protesters Convicted for Soup Attack on Van Gogh's Sunflowers

Social Media

image.png.5e39e588867e8df755f7f41dd491d346.png

Two Just Stop Oil activists have been found guilty of criminal damage after throwing soup over Vincent van Gogh’s renowned painting, "Sunflowers." Anna Holland and Phoebe Plummer, both 22, faced trial at Southwark Crown Court for their actions in October 2022, when they splashed tinned soup over the iconic artwork. 

image.png.6ab3aef270d98d39c5560ddb36248729.png

The protesters, donned in Just Stop Oil T-shirts, hurled two tins of Heinz tomato soup at the 1888 masterpiece, which was displayed in the National Gallery. Following the act, they knelt in front of the painting and glued their hands to the wall beneath it. Although the painting itself remained unharmed, the 17th-century gold-coloured frame sustained damage. Prosecutors highlighted that the soup, purchased from a nearby Tesco, acted like paint stripper on the wooden frame, which they described as "a piece of art in itself."

image.png.cb6a920299c657777d4711f843139836.png

In a video captured during the protest, Plummer can be heard questioning, "What is worth more, art or life? Is it worth more than food? Worth more than justice?" She continued, "Are you more concerned about the protection of a painting, or the protection of our planet and people? The cost of living crisis is part of the cost of oil crisis." Despite their arguments, the two women denied the charge of criminal damage.

Judge Christopher Hehir, who recently sentenced five other Just Stop Oil activists to prison terms ranging from four to five years for disruptions on the M25, released Holland and Plummer on bail. Their sentencing is scheduled for September 27. Until then, their bail conditions prohibit them from carrying glue, paint, or any adhesive substances in public, and they are barred from visiting galleries or museums.

This incident was not an isolated one; it was the second attack on the National Gallery by Just Stop Oil in 2022. Earlier in July, two other supporters of the group glued themselves to John Constable’s "The Hay Wain."

Credit: Daily Telegraph 2024-07-27

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, animalmagic said:

I'll bet they will then support some petrochemical products....like vaseline?

then ? 

in the pic of phoebe i can see about 17913 things that are made with oil. plus she is smoking a ciggy which is a little ironic as they are polluting the environment with all kinds of nasty shhh. 

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Of course , the fact she is polluting other people's lungs with her ciggie is irrelevant to her. 

I am fairly confident that when she gets lung cancer she will be blaming people driving their cars for this and not the 100s of harmful toxic chemicals in that cigarette, such is the insane level of brainwashing that has infected her mind. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

12 hours ago, Social Media said:

Plummer can be heard questioning, "What is worth more, art or life? Is it worth more than food? Worth more than justice?"

Rather strange that they are concerned about the worth of food, yet they have just wasted 2 tins of soup for a pointless gesture!

Just stop oil, yes I may have some sympathy for the cause although They should accept that life would be very difficult without any oil products.

Just stop oil paintings, I don't understand that at all!

32 minutes ago, loong said:

Rather strange that they are concerned about the worth of food, yet they have just wasted 2 tins of soup for a pointless gesture!

Just stop oil, yes I may have some sympathy for the cause although They should accept that life would be very difficult without any oil products.

Just stop oil paintings, I don't understand that at all!

Considering the attention they got, the gesture was far from pointless.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 300sd said:

They are as dumb as a can of tomato soup for that painting would most likely be made from linseed oil!

And it was protected by glass...........🤭

But, these numpties probably didn't know any of that, and they should do time, because it is time to shut these stupid people down...🤔

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 7/27/2024 at 10:49 AM, Gandtee said:

Who in their right mind would have a picture of a TV set tattooed on them?

Aaaaah but it worked, it got your attention (and the parents too I bet) lol!

Soup will not permanently damage an oil painting 

https://fineart-restoration.co.uk/news/can-soup-damage-a-painting/

Mary Raleigh Richardson's slashing of a Velasquez painting in 1910 was probably equally shocking to elderly ASEAN Now members at the time but several protestor actions eventually led to women getting the vote.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Aaaaah but it worked, it got your attention (and the parents too I bet) lol!

Maybe the parents are tattooed? Fruit never falls far from the tree. But what can one do about rebellious children?😉

• Like 1

The unfortunate near juxtaposition of the word 'stripper' and these photos have left me with a very bad taste in my mouth. But OMG please No, nurse, take that bloody awful tomato soup away!

• Confused 1

On 7/27/2024 at 9:15 AM, RichardColeman said:

Of course , the fact she is polluting other people's lungs with her ciggie is irrelevant to her. 

Just look at the poor misguided girl covered in Tats, Her backpack Plastic, her earpods Plastic, her phone plastic, and her Sunglasses guess what Plastic.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2024 at 6:11 PM, stevenl said:

Considering the attention they got, the gesture was far from pointless.

How many did they alienate against their cause?  More than they attracted...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1