The New ICE Engines..

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

There are still plenty of pickups on the roads in Thailand, as distinct from cars.

IMO the first manufacturer that comes up with a hybrid pickup is going to do very well.

My car of choice but to be honest mine just sits outside and rests for sometimes weeks.  I might buy a SUV next purchase but leaning towards an EV and don't want to buy that expensive Tesla truck.  Wish I was wealthier at times.

14 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There are still plenty of pickups on the roads in Thailand, as distinct from cars.

EV's growth can't remain the same because there simply are not enough raw materials to grow the EV percentage to 90%. It's about 30% at best.

IMO the first manufacturer that comes up with a hybrid pickup is going to do very well.

I've read that before too but I think there are some strong arguments that disprove it.  Lithium batteries are currently the best option but new technologies will replace them if it becomes a necessity.  I doubt electric vehicles powered by lithium will be the only option in the next 15 years.  Just a hunch...

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I've read that before too but I think there are some strong arguments that disprove it.  Lithium batteries are currently the best option but new technologies will replace them if it becomes a necessity.  I doubt electric vehicles powered by lithium will be the only option in the next 15 years.  Just a hunch...

You may be right, lithium and the other elements are difficult to process, and are expensive.

OTOH, a battery based on sodium would be far cheaper, with unlimited supply.

Apologies Trans, the steering on this thread seems to be quite wonky.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Assume you didn't read the article.  EV sales are flat while ICE vehicles are down 43%.  If EVs growth remained the same as 2024 nearly 90% of cars on the road would be EV in the next decade.  I own an ICE car and am happy with it.  You are delusional.  Open your eyes and see what is really happening on the roads. It is an amazing transition. There will be years when EV sales drop 20% but at this point it is ICE  cars that are being hammered.

Currently 0.45% of ALL registered vehicles in Thailand are EVs. Unless we start shooting ICE owners on sight, your dream of 90% EVs on the road will be just that.....a dream 😴

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, transam said:

I watched this vid last night, will be interesting to see the outcome, I knew Toyota was not convinced 'at this time' about EV's, and it seems others have been having their own thoughts too.....🤔.

I prefer my version.

image.jpeg.305a0a327cf3feb2ce24af5b33fe6126.jpeg

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

There aren't any EV pickups on the market yet, when there are, I will gladly compare them to ICE pickups.

The same goes for tractors, road rollers and all the others you wanted included.

My figures include ALL of the RY.1 passenger cars.  That is where we currently have EV's sold.

ALL petrol/diesel RY.1 were included and the same for EV's

I compared apples to apples, not apples to apples, pears, oranges, prunes, grapes and other irrelevancies.

Not in Thailand but there are EV pickups.  EV sales in the USA are not going well.

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/07/gm-and-ford-are-powering-down-electric-plans-will-make-more-ice-cars-and-trucks-instead/

https://www.axios.com/2024/01/19/ev-cars-ford-lightning-gm-chevy-blazer-cuts

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/19/business/ford-trimming-ev-pickup-production/index.html

7 hours ago, LosLobo said:

We were considering buying one next year, after seeing what bugs get worked out in the first model year, but will be holding off a few more years until we know how the tax situation works out.

In the meantime, our Hilux petrol/CNG dual fuel pickup with 400K on the clock is still going strong.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, CallumWK said:

Yes I see your post, and the one from Mistral53, but where is the link to EVAT's post ?

The statement is on their Facebook OFFICIAL page, made by them, not a member of the public.  https://www.facebook.com/EVAT2015

12 hours ago, atpeace said:

Assume you didn't read the article.  EV sales are flat while ICE vehicles are down 43%.  If EVs growth remained the same as 2024 nearly 90% of cars on the road would be EV in the next decade.  I own an ICE car and am happy with it.  You are delusional.  Open your eyes and see what is really happening on the roads. It is an amazing transition. There will be years when EV sales drop 20% but at this point it is ICE  cars that are being hammered.

This is the whole point I was making.  People are switching from ICE to EV.  The whole car industry is down over 40% but the share of EV's is growing to the detriment of the ICE market share.

4 hours ago, NoDisplayName said:

We were considering buying one next year, after seeing what bugs get worked out in the first model year, but will be holding off a few more years until we know how the tax situation works out.

In the meantime, our Hilux petrol/CNG dual fuel pickup with 400K on the clock is still going strong.

Totally off topic, but something very important to bear in mind regarding the Tax situation.

If you have been bringing money here from a pension or from earnings, and at any time in the last couple of decades you brought it in during the year you earned it.  Tax is due.

Don't think it all changes from 1st January 2024 - It doesn't.  There are only 2 changes effective from 1/1/2024, the first is tax on crypto and the 2nd is bringing in funds you earned in previous years (i.e. savings).

If you do a tax return for this year, expect them to ask about the last decade too.  So in other words, do nothing.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you do a tax return for this year, expect them to ask about the last decade too.  So in other words, do nothing.

no one knows if anything will happen or what will happen with the new tax law.

bringing money into thailand for buying a new car (house, etc.) will be tricky,

but burying your head in the sand and pretending to be oblivious isn't what i would personally do.

5 minutes ago, motdaeng said:

bringing money into thailand for buying a new car (house, etc.) will be tricky,

but burying your head in the sand and pretending to be oblivious isn't what i would personally do.

I don't propose burying your head in the sand.  I propose waiting to see what happens.

My own personal strategy is I won't bring any amount that incurs a tax liability this year.

But in any event, under no circumstances would I be among those first guys filing tax returns.  Just remember, in general, nothing significant has changed.

• Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

You won’t get an intelligent response. At best, you might be called a commie or a Red. He might have been the thread’s OP, but so far, only content free posts. As normal.

Transam has found a new way to troll.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I never said that.

Yes you can rapidly discharge any battery and it will overheat.  But the video you showed was a puncture test.  There is a video out there from BYD comparing that with one of their own batteries.  Their own battery reached 60C only.

I used to know a guy that would put some butane in the palm of his hand and set it alight, no problem. Yet there are quite stringent safety measures around LPG in cylinders.

It is all about potential energy and danger from rapid release, there is a reason airlines have restrictions on the carriage of power packs. When it comes to standard fuels they do not have "stored"  energy as such, energy is realised when other factors are brought into play.

Battery technology has advanced at an alarming rate in recent years with energy capacity being significantly higher than the types that evolved over decades.

I often wonder how may EV owners were on the soapbox of "untested" vaccines.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

It is all about potential energy and danger from rapid release, there is a reason airlines have restrictions on the carriage of power packs. When it comes to standard fuels they do not have "stored"  energy as such, energy is realised when other factors are brought into play.

Battery technology has advanced at an alarming rate in recent years with energy capacity being significantly higher than the types that evolved over decades.

I often wonder how may EV owners were on the soapbox of "untested" vaccines.

There is a lot more stored energy in the equivalent weight (or volume) of petrol or diesel.

Try taking than on board an airline!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

We are also on an adoption curve for EV's that I think is hard to derail.  Customers like them, they like not having to visit a fuel station.

They are not going to like them so much if governments have to introduce disposal charges, and/or offers incentives to switch to aviation fuel.

Initial popularity was always essential, every experiment needs the guinea pigs.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, KhunLA said:

EV now able to be mass produced at very low cost, with battery technology and cost improving almost every month.

So the actual EV batteries are getting cheaper by the month? If the price is decreasing monthly, it's not because the cost to manufacture batteries is decreasing. 

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

They are not going to like them so much if governments have to introduce disposal charges, and/or offers incentives to switch to aviation fuel.

Initial popularity was always essential, every experiment needs the guinea pigs.

Lithium is a fairly scarce resource and difficult to mine.  It makes a lot of sense to recycle the batteries at end of life (EOL).

however, EOL in an EV is probably the beginning of another decade's use in a solar storage project.

I agree with you on initial popularity, Tesla did that for everyone.

15 hours ago, LosLobo said:

It isn't a pickup though, but a small flat bed truck.

From the link.

All of the Toyota Hilux Champ versions in Thailand come with a single-cab design, two doors, and a two-seater cabin. The interior is as basic as the exterior, with orange accents making the black plastic more bearable to look at. The lack of an infotainment display or any sort of multimedia system makes the instrument cluster the only source of information for the driver. The only visible features in the pictured example are a fan (no fancy A/C or climate control), two cupholders, a power outlet, electric windows, and a few storage compartments.

The Thai-spec pickup will be offered with three powertrain options – a 2.0-liter petrol (1TR-FE), a 2.7-liter petrol (2TR-FE), and a 2.4-liter turbodiesel (2GD-FTV).

The base engine is exclusively mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox while the other two options are available with a 6-speed torque converter automatic. In all cases power is transmitted to the rear axle, meaning there is no 4WD option for the Hilux Champ – at least for Thai buyers.

54 minutes ago, billd766 said:

It isn't a pickup though, but a small flat bed truck.

From the link.

All of the Toyota Hilux Champ versions in Thailand come with a single-cab design, two doors, and a two-seater cabin. The interior is as basic as the exterior, with orange accents making the black plastic more bearable to look at. The lack of an infotainment display or any sort of multimedia system makes the instrument cluster the only source of information for the driver. The only visible features in the pictured example are a fan (no fancy A/C or climate control), two cupholders, a power outlet, electric windows, and a few storage compartments.

The Thai-spec pickup will be offered with three powertrain options – a 2.0-liter petrol (1TR-FE), a 2.7-liter petrol (2TR-FE), and a 2.4-liter turbodiesel (2GD-FTV).

The base engine is exclusively mated to a 5-speed manual gearbox while the other two options are available with a 6-speed torque converter automatic. In all cases power is transmitted to the rear axle, meaning there is no 4WD option for the Hilux Champ – at least for Thai buyers.

The one I looked at in my local Thai Toyota dealer had A/C.

The strange thing is the supposedly cheap Hilux Champ does not seem to be selling.  It has been on the market for a good few months but I have not seen a single one on the road.

I think the problem is that if you spec what to me is the most sensible spec for a workhorse, diesel plus MT, it is priced too close to a basic single cab Revo.

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

And there you go again, ignoring questions, and posting silly emojis. You are not interested in a discussion. One last try as you did post the video:

What is the breakthrough? What is the new technology in these engines? Why are these any different from any other hybrid engine? 

Please try to answer a question, just once.

Didn't you watch the video, the explanations....? 

I am not going to write a paperback on the subject just for someone who is confused over it..........🤕

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, motdaeng said:

Its not a new tax law, it is the intended enforcement of an existing one.

1 minute ago, transam said:

I am not going to write a paperback on the subject just for someone who is confused over it..........🤕

What is the breakthrough? What is the new technology in these engines? Why are these any different from any other hybrid engine? 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Yet again transam fails to answer a direct question, fails to deliver anything at all. A whole thread of nothing.

I watched the video, twice. There is nothing in there at all. Is this the first time you've heard of a hybrid engine? Maybe that would explain why you think it is new or exciting. These are just standard hybrid engines. There is no breakthrough, no new technology, no big announcement.

You are clearly not as knowledgable about cars as you think. Variable valve timing is not new, it is very old. Direct injection is not new, it is very old. That was all the technical detail offered in this nothing of a video.

Next thread: transam posts that commodore have just announced a new breakthrough that is going to DESTROY the gaming industry, GAME OVER!! - a new computer with 64kb of RAM!!!

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Tell me one engine that is in production that is identical to those in the vid...?

You are in the business, so you should know....🤗

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

The one I looked at in my local Thai Toyota dealer had A/C.

The strange thing is the supposedly cheap Hilux Champ does not seem to be selling.  It has been on the market for a good few months but I have not seen a single one on the road.

I think the problem is that if you spec what to me is the most sensible spec for a workhorse, diesel plus MT, it is priced too close to a basic single cab Revo.

opposing anecdote.

They appear to be selling.  We have three on the road in our small city outside of Korat.  Two work trucks and one daily driver.

You won't see them in Bangkok of course, for obvious reasons.  They're too small, too slow, too unflashy, don't have gold hubcaps and cost less than three million baht.

• Haha 1