Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This was unbelievably bad. It was vomit inducing, and I am a very tolerant person. I respect other people's sexual preferences, and I respect other people's lifestyles, but why disrespect hundreds of millions of people? Just because you can?

Culture is Important!

You even stated as much in the body of the OP.

How many times must I repeat myself?

Culture plus IQ are crucial for understanding aesthetics, and also so much more.

• Agree 1

I didn't pick up on the Last Supper theme at the time; I must be a bit slow on the uptake. 

Easily, the highlight was Celine Dion. I've never really taken to her before but that performance was truly iconic.

2 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Are they members on this forum?

Seventeen individuals who worked at Charlie Hebdo cannot be reached for comment.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

In my view, Olympics Organizers are always too conservative.

This is why, in Beijing, Plant was, so mistakenly, not invited.

Plant would have been too much for the Commies.

Page was invited:

But, Plant, sadly, was not.  Plant would have been Too Powerful For Karl Marx, and Marxism!:

There is just NO ACCOUNTING for TASTE!

26 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

I'm totally against this sort of thing. I think drag queens should stick to the classroom. 🙂 

That's a rather shocking and outrageous thing to say. For shame.

You KNOW the correct answer is "the library"!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Too many uncultured yahoos here.

Art is supposed to be challenging.

Do you think Jesus hates drag queens?

Do you believe in Jesus?

No, like music, if you have to think about it, or if you have to be "cultured" to enjoy it, it's not great. 

21 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Indeed. Pasolini's Mamma Roma caused quite a stir in the sixties with a Last Supper scene with a woman. This stuff is nothing new.

Edited by Baht Simpson

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

No, like music, if you have to think about it, or if you have to be "cultured" to enjoy it, it's not great. 

Not so. Music can be enjoyed at a visceral level of course but much reward can be had through examination of music and particularly lyrics.

22 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

That's a rather shocking and outrageous thing to say. For shame.

You KNOW the correct answer is "the library"!

noun: irony

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Not so. Music can be enjoyed at a visceral level of course but much reward can be had through examination of music and particularly lyrics.

Really? Music is music, and lyrics are lyrics. 

When discussing technical jazz, Duke Ellington was asked how one could determine if jazz was good. He laughed and said: "If it sounds good, it is good." 

12 minutes ago, Baht Simpson said:

Not Groucho though.

Groucho talked truth to power, always.

Nobody and nothing was too powerful for The Marx Brothers.

They were New Yorkers, after all......

Utter tripe. Poorest opening ceremony ever. Artistic expression doesn't really count when it is contrived. Washing over French culture and history for the sake of... blah blah. Was surprised they even included the awful tower at the end. You know, that iconic, quintessential French monument designed by some nice straight white fella. Pfft.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Utter tripe. Poorest opening ceremony ever. Artistic expression doesn't really count when it is contrived. Washing over French culture and history for the sake of... blah blah. Was surprised they even included the awful tower at the end. You know, that iconic, quintessential French monument designed by some nice straight white fella. Pfft.

Correct.

This was actually the trashing of French culture.

And, who was that fat woman with the silver globe on her head supposed to be?

And, if she was attending the Last Supper, why was she so happy?

One would have thought she might have been more worried about receiving her last meal.

But, what I really want to know....

Where were all the Thai Ladyboys in France when this show was organized?

Surely, Thai Ladyboys are far better than anything available in France, these days....

image.png.ef9d9127b2f29608ede934a2aedb9894.png

Edited by GammaGlobulin

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I loved it.

The last supper by drag queens?

What did the Olympics opening ceremony mean?

The ceremony's artistic director Thomas Jolly said it was meant to celebrate diversity and pay tribute to feasting and French gastronomy

The organizers said on Sunday they denied 'any intention to show disrespect to any religious group.' Organizers of the Paris Olympics said Sunday, July 28, they were "really sorry" for any offense caused by their daring and quirky opening ceremony but denied "any intention to show disrespect to any religious

Just now, Hummin said:

The last supper by drag queens?

What did the Olympics opening ceremony mean?

The ceremony's artistic director Thomas Jolly said it was meant to celebrate diversity and pay tribute to feasting and French gastronomy

The organizers said on Sunday they denied 'any intention to show disrespect to any religious group.' Organizers of the Paris Olympics said Sunday, July 28, they were "really sorry" for any offense caused by their daring and quirky opening ceremony but denied "any intention to show disrespect to any religious

"Truth is not a left-wing value." 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Really? Music is music, and lyrics are lyrics. 

When discussing technical jazz, Duke Ellington was asked how one could determine if jazz was good. He laughed and said: "If it sounds good, it is good." 

Yes, but you can listen to a song on the radio whilst your doing the washing and think, "that's good." Then when you sit down with your headphones and listen to the same song carefully you may get a fuller appreciation. Even more so if you read and understand the lyrics. By careful appreciation you may even think a bad song is actually good or vice versa. Of course there's no need to do this if you don't want to. 

I understand what Ellington meant; just enjoy the songs if you want to but I'm sure that he would be flattered if you displayed a deeper understanding of his work. Mingus certainly would.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

your true acceptance character is shining through on this forum today. slinging names left and right.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, stoner said:

your true acceptance character is shining through on this forum today. slinging names left and right.

You have good taste, and you have bad taste.

My opinion, concerning the world wide audience, not appropriate and bad taste. But thats my personal opinion! I accept others have a different view. 

1 minute ago, Baht Simpson said:

Yes, but you can listen to a song on the radio whilst your doing the washing and think, "that's good." Then when you sit down with your headphones and listen to the same song carefully you may get a fuller appreciation. Even more so if you read and understand the lyrics. By careful appreciation you may even think a bad song is actually good or vice versa. Of course there's no need to do this if you don't want to. 

I understand what Ellington meant; just enjoy the songs if you want to but I'm sure that he would be flattered if you displayed a deeper understanding of his work. Mingus certainly would.

I would not argue that you can gain a better appreciation for a piece you study, what I said was that if you have to think about it to like it, or if you don't know if you like it until you study it, it's not great art. 

An art professor did some Pollock type spatter paintings and had prints made of them and had graduate student study and comment on them, pretending they were Pollock prints. The students were all fooled and went on and on about the style and great they were and whatnot.