Thoughts on the opening ceremony at the Paris Olympics

16 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No, they don't....

Screenshot_4.jpg.c22eb1b86a68b24f79ccc7a99a799e13.jpg

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/newsguard/

If your starting point to come up with your ratings starts left of center then the rest of the ratings are skewed to the right... your source is a prime example... PolitiFact Bias: Can you trust what "Media Bias/Fact Check" says about PolitiFact? (Updated x2)

You can quibble about the last supper scene that wasn't a last supper scene but overall the opening ceremony with boats on the Seine was as Parisian as it gets and it's originality will ultimately be celebrated once the reactionary noise fades away.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You can quibble about the last supper scene that wasn't a last supper scene but overall the opening ceremony with boats on the Seine was as Parisian as it gets and it's originality will ultimately be celebrated once the reactionary noise fades away.

The athletes who dare to swim in the Seine are falling sick as it is absolutely disgusting, it's very dangerous. It's a (predictable) fiasco.

On 7/31/2024 at 9:14 PM, spidermike007 said:

You make a very good point, there is a time and place for everything, and those festivals are a place that people can celebrate in whatever way they want to celebrate, on their own and with their own, and it's all good.

When it comes to the opening ceremony of the Olympics, historically they have usually been carried out with a sense of grace, dignity and elegance. This ceremony did not possess very much of that and there is no need to rub their lifestyle in everyone's faces. 

Ladyboys might be popular in Thailand, and for some there is some appeal. I've seen some lady boys that were very attractive. I've rarely ever seen drag queens that I've said the same thing about. Nor anyone else. Some are a monstrosity. 

Ladyboys and drag queens are completely different. I would say drag queens aren't generally trying to be attractive to straight men. They're about performance art. 

This isn't about lifestyle. Are you stuck in the 1970's and leisure suits?

Sad that you use the homophobic allusion to rubbing or sticking stuff in people's faces.

Another one that is blind to the double standard. Anything LGBTQ is seen as aggressively sexualized while anything straight or cisgender is not. 

2 minutes ago, rattlesnake said:

The athletes who dare to swim in the Seine are falling sick as it is absolutely disgusting, it's very dangerous. It's a (predictable) fiasco.

That's a different issue.

Yes that's a disaster if they said they would clean it up and they didn't. 

1 hour ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

If your starting point to come up with your ratings starts left of center then the rest of the ratings are skewed to the right... your source is a prime example... PolitiFact Bias: Can you trust what "Media Bias/Fact Check" says about PolitiFact? (Updated x2)

If they're telling us that's thigh meat in that photo, they have lost all credibility.  Thigh meat doesn't come in a sack. 

And it seems like such a petty issue to give up so much credibility on.

• Haha 1

On 8/1/2024 at 9:28 AM, impulse said:

You call that credible?  I call it gaslighting.  Those are balls.  Thigh skin doesn't come in a pouch.

They need to deduct credibility points for that one. 

It's clearly a tear in his tights. Your balls may be that shape but mine certainly aren't.  😀 

Screenshot_20240802_140918_Opera.jpg

Edited by Baht Simpson
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

If asked to judge the opening ceremony i would say,

It's immoral.

It was ungodly.

Pandered to 0.02% of the worlds population.

And the participants and organisers should rot in hell.

But i don't really care one way or another.

Ungodly? Mate it literally depicts gods. Just not the one you want.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/1/2024 at 1:06 PM, John Drake said:

Has criticism of the opening had an impact on television audiences watching these games? Viewership up to expectations or below? I have no idea.

Paris Olympics Opening Ceremony Score 28.6 Million Viewers for NBC

Jul 27, 2024

The watery spectacle of Friday’s Opening Ceremony of the 2024 Paris Games delivered 28.6 million viewers for NBCUniversal platforms, making it the most-watched kick off for a summer Olympics since London in 2012.

The theatrical, four-hour ceremony that aired live on Friday afternoon in the U.S. came in 10 million viewers higher than NBCUniversal’s coverage of the Tokyo opening ceremony in 2021 and more than 2 million higher than Rio in 2016, according to NBCUniversal.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/paris-olympics-ratings-opening-ceremonies-most-watched-2012-1236087865/

• Thumbs Up 1

The broader ratings don't appear to be suffering at all... quite the contrary in fact:

Olympics Bring Huge Audiences to NBCUniversal Over Opening Weekend

Across all platforms, the first three days from Paris improve by almost 80 percent over the Tokyo Games three years ago.

July 29, 2024

Through the first three full days of the games, NBCU is averaging 34.5 million viewers across all of its linear networks and digital platforms for its primary telecasts. The ratings figures include both what it calls “Paris Prime” — 2-5 p.m. ET in the United States, when a host of medal events air live — and the U.S. primetime telecasts.

After drawing 28.6 million viewers for Friday’s opening ceremony, the weekend telecasts got even bigger: Saturday’s total audience was 32.4 million, and on Sunday — which featured the first day of competition for Simone Biles and the U.S. women’s gymnastics team — 41.5 million people tuned in, according to custom fast national ratings from Nielsen (for linear broadcasts) and Adobe Analytics (for streaming and digital).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2024-olympics-tv-ratings-opening-weekend-1235961393/

13 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The broader ratings don't appear to be suffering at all... quite the contrary in fact:

Olympics Bring Huge Audiences to NBCUniversal Over Opening Weekend

Across all platforms, the first three days from Paris improve by almost 80 percent over the Tokyo Games three years ago.

July 29, 2024

Through the first three full days of the games, NBCU is averaging 34.5 million viewers across all of its linear networks and digital platforms for its primary telecasts. The ratings figures include both what it calls “Paris Prime” — 2-5 p.m. ET in the United States, when a host of medal events air live — and the U.S. primetime telecasts.

After drawing 28.6 million viewers for Friday’s opening ceremony, the weekend telecasts got even bigger: Saturday’s total audience was 32.4 million, and on Sunday — which featured the first day of competition for Simone Biles and the U.S. women’s gymnastics team — 41.5 million people tuned in, according to custom fast national ratings from Nielsen (for linear broadcasts) and Adobe Analytics (for streaming and digital).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/2024-olympics-tv-ratings-opening-weekend-1235961393/

So the controversy was actually good for US ratings. Is the US doing well or poorly? That usually has an effect as well.

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Or none.

I do not know, 

Nobody do to be honest. Some can think they do, that's okay, and why it's called a belief.

But for those who believe in the Bible, it refers to other gods in the first ammendment 

Edited by Hummin

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kinok Farang said:

There is but one God my son.

Well a lot of people believe that there is just one God, but there are a lot of faiths that believe in multiple deities, and it can be argued whether or not they are Gods, Prophets, Deities or just symbols. And of course the Greeks had multiple Gods that were simply representations of various elements, that doesn't mean that they were all Gods, they were just symbolic deities. 

These kinds of arguments have been the cause of many wars over the past couple of millennia of recorded history. The bottom line is if you have a comfort level in your own belief system you really don't care what other people think. That's why I have such an issue with contemporary Islam. Their hypersensitivity to criticism and ridicule makes me question how deep their faith really is. 

I love this part from True Detective, season one, about religion.

Transference of fear and self-loathing to an authoritarian vessel. It's catharsis. He absorbs their dread with his narrative. Because of this, he's effective in proportion to the amount of certainty he can project. Certain linguistic anthropologists think that religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain and dulls critical thinking.

“I think the honorable thing for our species to do is deny our programming. Stop reproducing. Walk hand in hand into extinction, one last midnight. Brothers and sisters opting out of a raw deal.” 

Great stuff. Dark, but brilliant. 

When I am approached by someone trying to push their religion on me, I ask: tell me about your own realizations. What kind of wisdom have you been able to glean, from the countless hours you are spending in prayer, talking to God, contemplation and deep meditation? What universal knowledge do you have, that you can share with me? Often they will quote scripture. I tell them a parrot can do that. I am asking for some personal realization. It really shuts them up. It never fails to cause them to excuse themselves, and walk away. A truly foolproof technique!

Edited by spidermike007

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That's a different issue.

Yes that's a disaster if they said they would clean it up and they didn't. 

It was a terrible idea and many people warned the mayor Anne Hidalgo, but as usual she wouldn't listen.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2024 at 1:30 PM, Yagoda said:

Religious test? No wonder there are no Jewish people in office whatsoever

Try running and opposing the posting of the 10 Commandments or opposing the religious oriented Christmas decorations on public land?

17 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

Try running and opposing the posting of the 10 Commandments

Do Jews not have the same ten? 

17 minutes ago, Wrwest said:

or opposing the religious oriented Christmas decorations on public land?

Jews aren't haters. 

2 hours ago, Wrwest said:

Try running and opposing the posting of the 10 Commandments or opposing the religious oriented Christmas decorations on public land?

I like the Christmas decorations and Tree at Siam Center.

The 10 Commandments are no longer religious

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Do Jews not have the same ten? 

Jews aren't haters. 

Yes those were "given" to Moses to convey to "chosen people".

but those for "ordinary jews"

for real hardcore orthodox believers there're few hundreds "do" and "don't". Very strict

On 8/2/2024 at 6:24 AM, Jingthing said:

Still, I'd hate to be the guy who has to scrape the poop off all those keels.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Back to the opening ceremony: it was ok. The quibble afterwards was a lot to do about noting.

If you compare it to the past several Opening Ceremonies especially Beijing, it was really marginal, there were no outstanding moments and there were some very bad, cringe worthy moments. I think labeling it is okay it's not really much of an endorsement. The ceremonies are supposed to be a lot better than okay. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If you compare it to the past several Opening Ceremonies especially Beijing, it was really marginal, there were no outstanding moments and there were some very bad, cringe worthy moments. I think labeling it is okay it's not really much of an endorsement. The ceremonies are supposed to be a lot better than okay. 

What, you don't like unattractive people slobbering around in tutus? What're you a bigot? 

Dr. Jill loved it, and she's worried Los Angeles will not be able to top it!  

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think it's time we as society have to understand things will not always be bigger or better.

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

What, you don't like unattractive people slobbering around in tutus? What're you a bigot? 

Dr. Jill loved it, and she's worried Los Angeles will not be able to top it!  

Call me whatever you want, I have pretty thick skin, so names don't hurt me. No, I did not like it, and no I do not like very unattractive people doing absolutely nothing, but looking unappealing.

Dr. Jill doesn't even register on my personal meter, so do not care what she says. The world is full of people doing and saying things these days that me absolutely nothing to me. Maybe I'm getting old. Ha!