Is this Apple Video insulting to Thailand ?

No, not particulary, makes it look a bit charming in an eccentric sort of way.

I'm sure plenty of Thai "netizens" will find offence however...

• Agree 2

To the title, almost On Topic, I think ...

At the mall and saw this shop "Apple Sheep" ... for the sheep that buy overpriced Apple accessories for their phones. OK, plenty of knock off shops, phone accessory shops everywhere.

Funny part here is, the name & location, right across from Apple store ... 😂

(look at top of vid, read fast)

image.png.79845610c5d6c1e249fca2327f538a63.png

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, CharlieH said:

portray the country as a third-world nation

It's not?

Anyway, this is just another tone deaf American take on a country they haven't visited. They could at least have got a Thai to watch it before it was finalized.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 2

Victimization seems to be a new form of heroism, so many people have succumbed to the disease of being a victim and being outraged. Better to save your outrage for something that's worthwhile, this is such a nothing burger.

I suggest to the Thai people that are outraged that they try using a train in France which is nearly always in time, is modern, and takes two and a half hours to go 600 km. Or they try using a luxury bus elsewhere in the world and then compare it to the local Thai buses. Or try using a Mercedes taxi in Nice, instead of a rundown Corolla here.

Some of the depictions are not all that far from the truth. Thailand is not exactly all glitz and glamour. Many of us would argue that though it contains some modern spots, it is still very much a third world nation. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I guess that sums up the thinking of Apple. Infantile video for small mined people. I very much doubt if Steve Jobs would have let this garbage go out.

I wouldn't just say it is insulting to Thailand but is insulting to any sentient being.

Edited by Photoguy21
  • Love It 2

Is this Apple Video insulting to Thailand ? 

Huh,It seems like they tried to film the Real Thailand .

What's wrong with that, The truth Hurts ?

Bad luck It is what it is ,can't change that ,can't get upset about that. 

It seems very complementary.  If anyone was expecting that the story would go that the Americans would travel to Thailand, realise that it was lightyears ahead of them in terms of technology, infrastructure, business, and culture, then spend the rest of the advert performing some kind of worship, then they're a bit crazy.

On 7/29/2024 at 4:36 PM, CharlieH said:

the ad’s old-fashioned colour tones and dated appearance portray the country as a third-world nation.

It is.....get over it.

A condescending new advertisement by US giant Apple sparked outrage in Thailand, with locals threatening to ditch Apple and their iPhones for Samsung.

Thai resident and English teacher David William, who boasts 1.6 million Facebook followers and 2.9 million TikTok followers, slammed the ad on his TikTok account @davidwilliamdw. His critique of the ad, The Underdogs: OOO (Out Of Office) | Apple at Work, has racked up over 9.7 million views and more than 10,000 comments.

William and many netizens are furious with Apple’s depiction of Thailand. Although filmed in Thailand and featuring Thai elements like food, clothing, and public transport, the ad’s old-fashioned colour tones and dated appearance portray the country as a third-world nation.

The 9.57-minute Apple ad follows the “Underdogs” on a business trip to Thailand to find a new packaging factory. It showcases Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Vision Pro, all while tackling last-minute design changes and language barriers.

Thai netizens are up in arms over the ad’s portrayal of Thailand. They criticise the adjusted colour tones, costumes, props, and vehicles, which all create a dated and backward image.

Full story

I'd say it portrayed a fair view of Thailand and actually showed that, regardless, you can get your <deleted> done here.  I don't know what everyone is complaining about, it'll probably bring in more tourism and business. 

On 7/29/2024 at 12:45 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

I gave up after a minute or so. It looks like a bunch of stupid tourists. Did I miss anything important?

wow! a minute! what a patience. I clicked after 40 seconds. utter cr*p!

• Like 1

I don't think Thais should be insulted. It's the Americans that should be insulted by this video, showing them off as a bunch of idiots as soon as they leave their home country.

But, let's face it, it's that Jewish comedy style that is so prevalent now in comedy movies. Anybody watched Dumb & Dumber, or The Interview? 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, SpaceKadet said:

It's the Americans that should be insulted by this video, showing them off as a bunch of idiots as soon as they leave their home country.

As soon as they leave their country?

It seems to me many of them don't have to leave their country for that. 😉 

Although filmed in Thailand and featuring Thai elements like food, clothing, and public transport, the ad’s old-fashioned colour tones and dated appearance portray the country as a third-world nation.

Seriously now? Others would like a retro look.

Don't know how anyone can be offended by that ... :coffee1:

I guess they, crying snowflakes don't watch their own local programming on TV,   Not that's embarrassing :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA