Pattaya Plans Red Line Monorail to Boost Urban Mobility

webfact

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The TNT report I saw yesterday gave me an impression of work will be starting soon..... should be great for traffic.

Yeah, the traffic that everyone will have to walk in when they put up the stairs that will likely occupy the entire width of the pavement. Some of them in Bkk take up so much of the pavement that one can barely squeeze past.

14 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Monorails are a total waste of money, they fail and breakdown frequently in nearly every country that has  installed them. The only one that really works is in Japan.

Perfect for Pattaya, as every public project has been a disaster.

15 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Monorails are a total waste of money, they fail and breakdown frequently in nearly every country that has  installed them. The only one that really works is in Japan.

Building the monorail is not the objective of the exercise. The objective is to get new Mercs for all of those in charge of the project.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

Kuala Lumpur working good.

On 8/1/2024 at 7:51 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

That old rubbish again.

A :cheesy: for every time it's been trotted out.

Must be time for a few more brown envelopes.

...must be time for a few more, trite, banal and unimaginative 'brown envelope' comments.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Nonsense project and waaaay to expensive and long construction time. 

Why not starting with a proper bus system (real buses) on dedicated lanes. 

Close beach road for public traffic FFS and regulate the tour buses.

Most of the problems solved 

• Like 1

Shame we cant go back years and look at the old TV thread on this.

I'm sure it's the same picture they have used from years way back.

But remember seeing a Baht bus,  superimposed on that monorail, by some naughty poster. 

Was very funny at the time.

On 8/1/2024 at 9:06 AM, Gsxrnz said:

That 90 degree turn might pose some issues.:coffee1:

Why should it? Monorails can make very sharp turns if they're designed to do so. Short cars and articulate bogies will take care of that problem.

19 hours ago, DGS1244 said:

'Is monorail reliable?

Yes. There are 42 urban monorail systems operating in the world today. Each day they safely shuttle millions of passengers between hundreds of stations with 99.5% reliability -- the highest reliability of any transit mode. Weather has a limited impact on service and it is totally segregated from automobiles and pedestrians and animals'.

https://www.thehighroadfoundation.org/faq#:~:text=Each day they safely shuttle,reliability of any transit mode.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

...must be time for a few more, trite, banal and unimaginative 'brown envelope' comments.

The comments can stop when the envelopes do I suppose!

On 7/31/2024 at 6:27 PM, Henryford said:

Can you imagine the chaos it would cause if they ever started to build it. The whole of Pattaya would grind to a halt.

The whole of Pattaya is already grinding to a halt.  They have to do something because it will only get worse.  They already made beach road and 2nd road (and probably buakao soon) one way so some kind of mass transportation is the next step.

Edited by shdmn

16 minutes ago, shdmn said:

The whole of Pattaya is already grinding to a halt.  They have to do something because it will only get worse.  They already made beach road and 2nd road (and probably buakao soon) one way so some kind of mass transportation is the next step.

Stand by, the monorail project is coming to rescue us all!

On 8/1/2024 at 1:10 PM, Jumbo1968 said:

Will there be access for the elderly and the disabled at every station ?

Agree, there are no Elevators for wheel chairs in the Piss Artists impression as usual Thailand don't care about disabled wheel chair bound people. ......:coffee1:

On 8/2/2024 at 2:10 PM, NanLaew said:

It is indeed and obviously time for a few more, trite, banal and unimaginative 'moaning about them' comments.

On 8/3/2024 at 2:59 PM, brianthainess said:

Agree, there are no Elevators for wheel chairs in the Piss Artists impression as usual Thailand don't care about disabled wheel chair bound people. ......:coffee1:

When there are no accessible places for the disabled to go, it would be somewhat pointless installing such.

Accessibility has to be everything or it doesn't work, and the only way to make that happen is for the government to pass laws to make all buildings accessible.

Do you want to make people in wheelchairs mingle with the traffic, given the pavements in Pattaya are impassable for such?

On 8/3/2024 at 9:59 AM, brianthainess said:

I wouldn't put much store in an artists impression.

When get the BTS from Kheha into Bangkok I get the lift from the carpark up to the ticket area. There is another lift up to the platforms but I just use the elevator.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Do you want to make people in wheelchairs mingle with the traffic, given the pavements in Pattaya are impassable for such?

Me ? what are you on about, many in Pattaya in wheelchairs are left with no option but to mingle with traffic and they do. No parking now on beach road beach side causes even more disabled to 'mingle' with traffic. 

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

When there are no accessible places for the disabled to go, it would be somewhat pointless installing such.

Accessibility has to be everything or it doesn't work, and the only way to make that happen is for the government to pass laws to make all buildings accessible.

As I drove down soi Yume Sunday, trying to pass a parked vehicle that blocked both the disabled lane, and the main traffic lane, I concluded there never will be!