Why is it important to get colorectal cancer screening?

Assuming the title is a rhetorical statement ... :coffee1:

Get it done as early as you please, especially if your insurance will cover 100% of cost.  Don't assume that minor trace of blood is from your hemorrhoids :cheesy:

I had full coverage in USA, so early 40s had it done, knowing I was going to retire early.  Saying colon cancer runs in the family, and you noticed blood in you BM will get the procedure done for you.

Had it done here/TH also, about 5 yrs ago, (65 yrs old ?) and 2 polyps removed.  Memory serves, about ฿12k, and same for endoscopy done at same time, just for the hell of it.   Latter did find a Hiatal hernia, which I passed on simple repair.   Explained those 'GERD' symptoms, and simply adjusting diet and sleeping position 'cured' them.

Just for the hell of it, if you are not in TH yet, I compared average price of, at Philadelphia area, PA, USA.  $1400 mark  or ฿50k :shock1:

A (Thai) friend of mine's father died of colorectal cancer aged 60. Totally unnecessary. When it became symptomatic it was far advanced. All they could do by then was resection his bowel to give him an extra two years.

When she gets to 45 I'm gonna make sure my friend gets a colonoscopy.

Had two myself. One at 55 (standard, paid by public health insurance) - all clear. Then again at 65 (standard) follow up - this time they removed a small polyp and said come back in three years.

Damn sure I will.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I’ve been here full time since 2007. I’ve had four camera up and three camera down. I’m close to 79 now. In the past they gave me another five year appointment but not last time. Wonder if they know something!! Always have it done at Chulabhorn, it’s not very expensive. My wife had the look up and down last month …I’ve just checked the amount 8520thb.

I think it’s a little more if they take a sample …but so far that has never happened.

Edited by PFMills
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, PFMills said:

I’ve been here full time since 2007. I’ve had four camera up and three camera down. I’m close to 79 now. In the past they gave me another five year appointment but not last time. Wonder if they know something!! Always have it done at Chulabhorn, it’s not very expensive. My wife had the look up and down last month …I’ve just checked the amount 8520thb.

I think it’s a little more if they take a sample …but so far that has never happened.

4 times in 17 years, may be a bit of overkill.   Think the new recommendation is every 10 years, if an all clear, or a polyp or 2 are removed.  Also had mine done at Chula, and Q was about 9 months, so paid extra for off hours appointment.  Still cheaper than most places, especially private, which charge the same for one of, instead of both done at same time.

12 hours ago, Sheryl said:

As you get older the risks of the procedure vs potential benefits change.

Most doctors would agree that for a 79 year old if all prior colonoscopies were normal, can cease doing them.

But you could do periodic flstool tests for occult blood. 

Appreciate that Sheryl … thanks

It’s a slow growing cancer, usually, and if detected early, can be stopped.  So, why not check? I know people who died from colon cancer. Totally unnecessary.  Then again, maybe some of you have a death wish?

I had a colonoscopy done in May and removal of 2 polyps, non- malignant.

Was suffering from diarrhea for 2 months and one of my brothers had colorectal cancer ( diagnosed in his 80’s)!
At first I had several antibiotics which never worked and saw a Gastroenterologist (Asst. Prof) who advised conservative treatment to try before colonoscopy. But it didn’t help and my stool occult blood was positive. So I went ahead with the colonoscopy. The sedation given was excellent, I never felt a thing and it was over quickly. Cost me over 25K Thai baht and follow up histology test showed no cancer. Follow up in a year. But my diarrhea persisted ( even though he said it will get better!)

So I went for a second opinion and saw another Gastroenterologist who diagnosed that I had an Irritable Bowel. He gave me some new medication which helped, but I wasn’t able to keep the follow up appointment.

However, I still have diarrhea unless I avoid certain foods, beer or Guinness 0% alcohol, the yeast seems to set it off ; no fried food, chips or fries in particular; no spicy food ; any milk except for soya!

Found a new herbal medicine,FyboCalm at Holland and Barrett whilst on vacation in the UK, that helps.

I will have a check up again, but felt more confident with the second Gastroenterologist, a less expensive hospital than my previous. And he was more thorough and showed understanding.

From my research I couldn’t find any explanation for my condition, I conclude it’s an age thing, in my mid 70’s!

25 minutes ago, Tazmo said:

I had a colonoscopy done in May and removal of 2 polyps, non- malignant.

Was suffering from diarrhea for 2 months and one of my brothers had colorectal cancer ( diagnosed in his 80’s)!
At first I had several antibiotics which never worked and saw a Gastroenterologist (Asst. Prof) who advised conservative treatment to try before colonoscopy. But it didn’t help and my stool occult blood was positive. So I went ahead with the colonoscopy. The sedation given was excellent, I never felt a thing and it was over quickly. Cost me over 25K Thai baht and follow up histology test showed no cancer. Follow up in a year. But my diarrhea persisted ( even though he said it will get better!)

So I went for a second opinion and saw another Gastroenterologist who diagnosed that I had an Irritable Bowel. He gave me some new medication which helped, but I wasn’t able to keep the follow up appointment.

However, I still have diarrhea unless I avoid certain foods, beer or Guinness 0% alcohol, the yeast seems to set it off ; no fried food, chips or fries in particular; no spicy food ; any milk except for soya!

Found a new herbal medicine,FyboCalm at Holland and Barrett whilst on vacation in the UK, that helps.

I will have a check up again, but felt more confident with the second Gastroenterologist, a less expensive hospital than my previous. And he was more thorough and showed understanding.

From my research I couldn’t find any explanation for my condition, I conclude it’s an age thing, in my mid 70’s!

Just had my first one done at 67. No polyps or cancer but they found H Pylori, which was a concern because I had the same symptoms you have. Loose and normal stools , stomach pain, gas. No blood I could see in stool, but did that colonoscopy and endoscopy because I'm 17 years overdue. My daughter had one at 36 and had many polyps removed, so I was concerned. I'm on two antibiotics and an antacid, seems to be working fine. I also stopped coffee, which I love, because it makes you loose. I'll have it every now and then, but not daily like before. Always ate healthy, plenty of fiber, veggies and lean meat and fish, exercised all my life, so I know I helped myself all these years.

A western Doctor told me several years ago to take a good dose of Metamucil 4 to 5 days a week.  Sure keeps me regular and had a Colonoscopy 2 months ago totally clean.  As you get older a good BM sure makes the day.

29 minutes ago, nakhonandy said:

I'm not sure about that.

However, in the UK they use "stool" testing.

Maybe he meant Fecal occult blood test?

Edited by mokwit

One reason to get a colorectal cancer screening is that if it is caught early you could save yourself from a horrible death. Main metastasis sites are peritoneum, liver, and lung.

On 8/9/2024 at 4:38 PM, sangtip2 said:

I read that there is now a blood test which works pretty good.

I think the Blood test is for PSA (which is a marker for prostate cancer - if I'm not mistaken).

These threads are good - because I've been putting off having Colarectal-Cancer Screening, because its something I just don't want to to do... no logic in that at all, I know its something I should do... but just don't want to go through the process.

Thus: threads such as this are great for people like myself who keep putting this off...

This week I'm going to 'go visit a Dr. and state that I saw a dash of blood' and request a scan - which means my work insurance will pay (as i don't think many insurance policies pay for 'pre-emptive' screening and checks as indicated in the article).

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

but just don't want to go through the process.

I didn't and paid the price - my objection was not the procedure but the prepping - didn't want to spend all night going to the toilet, they now have a prep where you drink it at 6 and you can go to bed by 9 all done. You are knocked out for the actual procedure and know nothing about it.

1 hour ago, mokwit said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

but just don't want to go through the process.

I didn't and paid the price - my objection was not the procedure but the prepping - didn't want to spend all night going to the toilet, they now have a prep where you drink it at 6 and you can go to bed by 9 all done. You are knocked out for the actual procedure and know nothing about it.

Thanks...  just spoke to the Wife and said I'm going to get this done this week... 

Threads like this and comments such as yours help those like me who are reluctant to take the step and require a nudge...   

This is quite a strange situation for me, because if its a knee-operation, or a fully body medical check-up etc (which I take yearly), a trip to the dentist etc - then I have no hesitation whatsoever.

Having the chutney tunnel visited by items and eyes unknown (or known to that matter) is somewhat off-putting, I'm fully aware of what an extremely juvenile outlook that is... nevertheless - this is something which really should be done and I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger so to speak.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Having the chutney tunnel visited by items and eyes unknown (or known to that matter) is somewhat off-putting, I'm fully aware of what an extremely juvenile outlook that is... nevertheless - this is something which really should be done and I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger so to speak.

It's a nothingburger. They put you to sleep and you come 'round when it's all over without having felt a thing..