Thai customer complains about buffet restaurant staff service

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

post-3-1.jpg

A heated social media argument erupted between a buffet restaurant and a dissatisfied customer, leading to a legal dispute. The incident began when a Facebook user posted a critical review of a conveyor belt hotpot buffet restaurant in the New Students MSU 68 group, citing poor service, especially in terms of the staff’s communication.

The restaurant owner responded with a detailed explanation, defending the establishment. The owner stated that the customer had inappropriately taken a communal dish (tteok-bokki) and placed it on their lap, despite being in the company of four other diners.

The manager had merely requested that the customer cover the dish to prevent it from drying out, contradicting claims of any aggressive behaviour as alleged in the customer’s post.

The owner further disputed the claim that the manager had shouted at the customer to close the door gently. Surveillance footage, reviewed from the time the customer entered until they left, reportedly showed no such incident occurred.

The owner expressed frustration at the customer’s suggestion that others should think twice before going, emphasising that the issue stemmed from the customer’s behaviour at the table, which was disrespectful to other diners.

In a passionate message, the owner swore on sacred entities that their account was truthful and challenged the customer to present any evidence of misconduct, proposing that the CCTV footage be used in court if necessary. The owner declared their intention to pursue legal action against the individual, identified only as Miss D, without any possibility of settlement.

Inappropriate complaint

The owner implored the public to consider that even anonymous posts can be traced and that such damaging actions should cease. They emphasised that there are many appropriate channels for complaints and that no business wants to face ruin. The restaurant is open to constructive feedback and willing to make improvements, but the owner felt compelled to defend their business against false accusations.

Ultimately, the customer who posted the critical review issued a public apology, admitting that the post was made in anger and that they only wanted the staff to communicate more politely. The customer expressed willingness to apologise formally if needed and stated their intention to remain a regular patron of the restaurant.

They also mentioned their financial inability to compensate the restaurant, having only a little over a thousand baht to their name.

In response, the restaurant owner reiterated that monetary compensation was required and confirmed that legal action had been initiated against the customer, reported KhaoSod.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

Full story: The Thaiger 2024-08-01

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

These are just Undergraduates with very little money to their name. Live abd let Live. Your good name will spread if you let the youngsters off. I mean the restaurant. Don't stress the students out unnecessarily. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, worgeordie said:

The West is to blame for this , thats where Karen's started , now Thailand  has them ......

it's mostly the HiSo folks that have this attitude , but this one has only a 1000 Baht to

her name ..

regards Worgeordie

Totally agree.

It does look like, there's a couple of  Karen's on this thread,  as well. 

judging by some comments. :giggle:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, bluemoon58 said:

Excuse my ignorance, what's Karen's? 

Women who in a public setting make a scene. Yelling , cursing, complaining, prejudiced slurs etc. Happens here with Asians also, just isn't publicized like back home. I hear screaming locals weekly here.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

Women who in a public setting make a scene. Yelling , cursing, complaining, prejudiced slurs etc. Happens here with Asians also, just isn't publicized like back home. I hear screaming locals weekly here.

Thanks for that. I thought I was pretty "down with the kids" but that term seems to have passed me by! 

Reviews on social media are a social curse for business ,

If you have nothing to say positive about a business then forget any written review.

It is time that the media that print bad reviews face the consequences as much as the disgruntaled customer for doing there best to ruin a persons income.

• Confused 3
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

I have never written a bad review on social media in my life.

No benefit to me if I did.

I have never written a sterling review on social media in my life.

Not benefit to me if I did.

If I should ever write a review on social media, then let it be completely ambiguous.

In 5 words or LESS, Thx!

24 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

Excuse my ignorance, what's Karen's? 

It's a kind of female renamed Karen because someone thought it was a good idea and deserved it ! I call them Somsri's!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sig said:

That's a pretty sad and telling commentary on yourself. Not that there's anything wrong with never leaving any reviews on social media, but with your own stated reason being that either way you don't see any benefit to yourself. You seem to be completely blind to the purpose of reviews. They are not intended to be for selfish purposes. Apparently you only post something if you see something in it for yourself. So, I guess this comment you left here was for your own benefit too? The only self-perceived benefit I can imagine would be some sort of ego booster. Reviews are supposed to be for the benefit of OTHERS! Positive reviews help businesses and also help people find good businesses. Negative reviews (preferably constructive criticism rather than bloviating complaints) are to help businesses know where they need improvement and to give possible customers a heads up if it hasn't been dealt with yet (which can be seen by the business's response to the review). Reviews should be a very helpful thing for all, unless they are only being made by people who only think of making the reviews to benefit themselves... which is about as useful as making comments here, only to benefit yourself. Seems like there must be something better to do with your day...?

And, I also do not post 'reviews" of other members on TV.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

On the face f it this seems to be a spat about nothing.

However, these bad reviews can have a serious impact on the income of a business. Some have even been forced to close due to these reviews.

Should these reviews be vindictive and baseless the business should have the right to financial compensation. It may may people think twice about posting false reviews. 

You are absolutely right. Someone with a bee in their bonnet can give you a lousy review out of pure spite. I have an rental mainly let through Airbnb. I have been letting since last December. I had seventeen 5 star reviews, but one 2 star review from a petty guest because I couldn't let him have early check in, since someone checked out the same day. Of course this drastically affected my rating and, a huge fault with Airbnb, they don't support hosts, said it couldn't be removed because it was the "subjective opinion of a guest". Utter rubbish, it was a total lie, but as Nakhonandy says it can seriously affect your business.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

If you run a business you have understand that there are always people who complain, but to make a legal action of it is over the top, but as everything in Thailand people think they are perfect, their business is a 6 star Michellin star establishment and comments are loosing face for them.. So stop with it if you can't accept critics and find a normal job. It just another case... hotels, restaurants shops.. everybody has such a long toes when they get comments

• Confused 1

Bad reviews can definitely have a negative impact on business and even when the establishment is the victim of an unreasonable customer Google and Trip advisor will not remove the review. 

Personality conflicts often influence these reviews and have no real indication of whether the establishment in question is a good prospect or a bad one. 

I have a restaurant and had a situation where a lady requested a table for herself and a very loudly screaming child, she was politely asked if she could control the Childs behaviour which she replied she could not so she was refused a table, she gave me a terrible review which has no bearing on the quality of my food, service & value for money which is what review's are supposed to indicate.

Edited by paul1804
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

You are absolutely right. Someone with a bee in their bonnet can give you a lousy review out of pure spite. I have an rental mainly let through Airbnb. I have been letting since last December. I had seventeen 5 star reviews, but one 2 star review from a petty guest because I couldn't let him have early check in, since someone checked out the same day. Of course this drastically affected my rating and, a huge fault with Airbnb, they don't support hosts, said it couldn't be removed because it was the "subjective opinion of a guest". Utter rubbish, it was a total lie, but as Nakhonandy says it can seriously affect your business.

Make sure in your listing details you have it worded, "Subject to Availability" and always make sure you reply to that review with the facts, everybody love reading a good rebuttal, 

35 minutes ago, Older and Wiser said:

Airbnb are ready to print guests lies .

a big minus with using Airbnb.

• Like 1

The only thing what counts about this review is, the owner of the restaurant is suing the customer.That sticks!!!!So this restaurant is a no go.

Since Thailand has a defamition law what surpresses free speach and the truth nobody actually leaves bad reviews.I don't care the review was correct or bull....The owner could reply with an apology and set things straight without threaten the customer.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Saying legit complaints should be allowed is not understanding Thai society. The individual is not primary over the interests of a larger group.

Wrong, very wrong. It's just the other way round, a powerful selfish individual takes preference over society. 

Take yesterday's fire "in a famous shopping mall in the Rama 9 area" that cannot be named 

(I cannot find it in the BP)

There were much more people endangered by this fire than the ultra-rich family who owns this place (just bought the 3 most expensive department stores in one of the riches countries in the world).

Many more examples,  just open your eyes

• Like 1

The owner of that restaurant also has to be careful he could create his own bad publicity and could back fire on him, suing a customer, normal people would think im not going there, 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

19 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

On the face f it this seems to be a spat about nothing.

However, these bad reviews can have a serious impact on the income of a business. Some have even been forced to close due to these reviews.

Should these reviews be vindictive and baseless the business should have the right to financial compensation. It may may people think twice about posting false reviews. 

Yes, but on the reviews always better use a nickname, never the real name!
Tony

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The owner of that restaurant also has to be careful he could create his own bad publicity and could back fire on him, suing a customer, normal people would think im not going there, 

Or start welcoming complaining customers and filming it 🤣 to sue later on.

20 hours ago, StandardIssue said:

There was also a farang at the Nana Sukumvit McDonalds complaining his fries were cold and that he ordered a hamburger not a pork burger. ALERT THE MEDIA!!

Yes all the important breaking news is on here 

• Haha 1