Transgender Woman's Use of Women's locker room at a gym in St. Louis has Ignited Protests

Social Media

image.png.b3bebbd3ef9c41f81d7d5b72a3c1c6fa.png

A suburban St. Louis gym's decision to allow a transgender woman to use the women’s locker room has ignited a firestorm of protests, plans for a boycott, and demands for a state investigation. The incident has drawn sharp reactions and swift action from Missouri's Republican attorney general, raising questions about discrimination and legal rights in the state.

The controversy erupted when the transgender woman joined the gym on a Sunday. By the following Friday, the issue had escalated dramatically. A Republican state lawmaker, Rep. Justin Sparks, held a news conference outside the gym, claiming to have been contacted by numerous concerned constituents. Sparks, who represents a district neighboring the gym, insisted he did not organize the protest but felt compelled to address the issue publicly.

The gym in question, Life Time, defended its policy, stating that the woman had provided a driver's license identifying her as female. Natalie Bushaw, a spokesperson for Life Time, emphasized that the Missouri Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination based on sex. Therefore, the gym allowed the member to use the women’s locker room in accordance with the law. Bushaw's statement underlined the gym's commitment to inclusivity and adherence to state regulations.

The transgender woman recounted an unpleasant encounter in the gym's sauna, where another patron confronted her, accusing her of being a man and asserting that she did not belong there. Efforts to reach the gym member for further comment were not immediately successful.

As tensions mounted, Ellisville police received a report of alleged indecent exposure at the gym, which is currently under investigation. No charges have been filed at this time. Additionally, Attorney General Andrew Bailey announced that his office is investigating the gym's policies. Bailey sent a letter to Life Time warning that their policies could be enabling potentially criminal behavior, stating, "As Attorney General, I will vigorously defend and enforce Missouri’s laws. You face both potential criminal and civil liabilities."

Missouri has not enacted specific laws governing transgender individuals' access to public restrooms. The state's attorney general has limited authority to pursue criminal charges, a responsibility typically reserved for local prosecutors. Bailey referenced a 2015 Missouri appeals court ruling in which a man was convicted of misdemeanor trespassing for occupying a women's restroom at a gas station. In that case, the man, who did not claim to be transgender, had disguised his voice and refused to leave the restroom, leading to his arrest.

Ellisville police clarified that they are not investigating potential trespassing in the current incident, as the gym had granted the member permission to use the women’s locker room. The legal nuances of property owners allowing such use remain ambiguous under Missouri law.

The timing of this controversy is particularly significant as voters are set to decide whether to elect Bailey, who was appointed by Governor Mike Parson, to another term or to nominate Will Scharf as the Republican candidate. Scharf is a member of former President Donald Trump's legal team. In Missouri, a state with strong Republican leanings, the primary winner is likely to have a significant advantage in the November general election.

Rep. Sparks has stated, "I have been contacted by a lot of people," emphasizing the level of concern and engagement from his constituents. Sparks' involvement has highlighted the broader political and social tensions surrounding transgender rights and public accommodations in Missouri.

Life Time's position remains firm, with Bushaw reiterating, "The Missouri Human Rights Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex. Therefore, the member is to use Life Time’s women’s locker room." This stance underscores the gym's adherence to state law and its commitment to providing a non-discriminatory environment for all members.

The ongoing investigation by the attorney general's office and the police department, coupled with the political ramifications of the upcoming election, ensure that this issue will remain in the public eye. The protests and legal challenges reflect the broader national debate over transgender rights and the balance between individual freedoms and societal norms. As the situation develops, it will continue to serve as a focal point for discussions about equality, privacy, and the rule of law in Missouri and beyond.

Credit: US News  2024-08-05

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There was proof given in the media that the Olympics boxer was born a female. 

I was more shocked the first time I played rugby that there were naked men in the showers standing near me. 

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Easy answer is for all objectors to stop using the gym. A few weeks of no customers will soon sort it out.

really with monthly or annual paid memberships?  less work for the gym, same money

• Haha 1

So Missouri allows people to change the sex on the driver's license ... :cheesy:

That certainly could complicate things for gyms and other businesses.  If I had a business, I think I'd hang a sign.  Only 'birth certificates' to be used as ID :coffee1:

Along with designating certain areas for people 'with penises' or 'without penises', not longer using 'male' / 'female' designations :cheesy:

The world is getting sillier by the day.   As stated, a boycott by customers will sort it quickly.  Although the business would probably be sued for discrimination.  Hence the problem with allowing this silliness, of people picking their sex.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ryxyz said:

A lot of people are in denial, but the truth is the truth. You're either born a man or a woman. And if born a man and you decide to wear a dress, please change at home or in your car before going to the gym or other public places, and stop forcing your ideas, ways and beliefs on others. 

It's not as simple as "born and man or a woman." What does that mean? Does that refer to your external genitals, your internal organs, or your chromosomes? Some people are born with a mix of these that is not what is considered normal. Also, of course, there are the psychological issues of what gender you associate with yourself, but those can not be as clearly diagnosed as the three cases above.

I've never had any problem with people of this sort, but I'm a "normal" male, and wouldn't care if some half-woman/half-man shared a public toilet or shower with me. I can understand, however, how a "normal" woman would be more cautious about that.

It's going to be a problem that will not disappear because, as I said above, gender is not as simple as some people think it is. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, WDSmart said:

I've never had any problem with people of this sort, but I'm a "normal" male, and wouldn't care if some half-woman/half-man shared a public toilet or shower with me. I can understand, however, how a "normal" woman would be more cautious about that

It's not you they want to share changing rooms with. This is about guys (dressing as women) wanting to share changing rooms with women and children.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

It's not you they want to share changing rooms with. This is about guys (dressing as women) wanting to share changing rooms with women and children.

Well, "transgender" works both ways: men wanting to be women and women wanting to be men. I know the former is more of a problem because women are more sensitive to this.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nah, it's never women wanting to be men that causes any problems.

And transgender means surgery, if you still have a penis and balls, you ain't transgender.

"Transgender" doesn't have to mean surgery. Here's the definition of the term from WIkipedia:

"A transgender person (often shortened to trans person) is someone whose gender identity differs from that typically associated with the sex they were assigned at birth." Transgender - Wikipedia

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'm more concerned about reality than woke fantasy.

I'm not sure what you mean by that. People are born with a mix of genders according to a mix of their genitals, organs, and chromosomes. That's rare, as far as I know, but it does happen. Also, some people born with what we would call a regular gender BELIEVE (feel like) they are the other gender. So what should we require of them? 

My question to you is, "What determines gender?" You'll probably say the external organs they were born with. But, as I say above, they could have opposite-gender internal organs and/or chromosomes. What then?

To me, this whole uproar is just like the historical uproar about mixing races in public places, like drinking fountains or restaurants.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

Absolutely NO!  If my daughter's were in a school that allowed such activity then I would pull them out in protest.

Oh dear you could be arrested for pulling them out in public.............:giggle: 

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, WDSmart said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that. People are born with a mix of genders according to a mix of their genitals, organs, and chromosomes. That's rare, as far as I know, but it does happen. Also, some people born with what we would call a regular gender BELIEVE (feel like) they are the other gender. So what should we require of them? 

My question to you is, "What determines gender?" You'll probably say the external organs they were born with. But, as I say above, they could have opposite-gender internal organs and/or chromosomes. What then?

To me, this whole uproar is just like the historical uproar about mixing races in public places, like drinking fountains or restaurants.

No, it is not the same as segregated drinking fountains... What are you drinking?

Biology dictates reality..   As you point out there sometimes "mistakes" at birth but that is that person's cross to bear, saying that sympathetically.

Not for society to twist itself in knots to accommodate people who just "think" they are the sex opposite their birth gender..

It's just common sense.

• Like 2

IMHO there are only 2 sexes.

Male or female.

The basic difference is that males cannot conceive or carry a baby. Their internal reproductive organs don't allow it. It is the same for women. They cannot conceive a baby on their own.

Women can carry and give birth to a baby, but men cannot.

If a person wishes to identify as something else, that is something completely different.

IMO if a person was born as a male, identifies themselves as a woman but cannot carry a baby, that person is still male, likewise for a woman.

1 hour ago, bobbin said:

No, it is not the same as segregated drinking fountains... What are you drinking?

Biology dictates reality..   As you point out there sometimes "mistakes" at birth but that is that person's cross to bear, saying that sympathetically.

Not for society to twist itself in knots to accommodate people who just "think" they are the sex opposite their birth gender..

It's just common sense.

I'm drinking the same thing as you, and for the same reason - I'm thirsty. And that happens to both White and Black people and men and women - to all races and all genders. 

The question is not why "society should twist itself in knots to accommodate people who just 'think' they are the sex opposite their birth gender." The question is, "Why does society discriminate against people based on their birth gender?" Why do we treat the two genders (or multiple mixes of genders) differently? Why not treat all people the same?

Edited by WDSmart

I think if that happened locally a few husbands/ fathers would soon sort the situation.

In more woke places a spare room can surely be found for persons identifying as a cat, a dog or a different gender. If they have a bathroom for disabled, just change the sign on the door. It's not as though there will be enough of them to need a larger room.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1