Warning Signs of US Recession: A Potential Setback for Kamala Harris

Social Media

On 8/7/2024 at 8:14 AM, stoner said:

could of fooled me with the constant chanting about it over the last year.

IMO rich people love the stock market as it allows them to transfer money from the sheeple to themselves.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How does it feel to have Trump loom so large in your life that you have to add a snide remark about him to your post in a thread that is zero to do with him?

Mind your own business

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, simple1 said:

Mind your own business

Why all the hate and anger? If you are not careful it will eat you alive. Open your heart and let some love in, it won't hurt you, I promise. 

• Love It 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO rich people love the stock market as it allows them to transfer money from the sheeple to themselves.

Tax cuts for the rich are also appreciated! 😅

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Why all the hate and anger? If you are not careful it will eat you alive. Open your heart and let some love in, it won't hurt you, I promise. 

Pot, kettle, black

20 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

The numbers coming out tomorrow and particularly Wednesday morning will be interesting. Any signs of inflation running hot will send the market tumbling.

Good News! The first of those numbers is in

Dow rallies more than 350 points as tame inflation data fuels market comeback

The Dow Jones Industrial Average  rallied Tuesday, as equities moving closer to last month’s record levels following the first of two key U.S. inflation reports this week...

The producer price index — a measure of wholesale prices — increased 0.1% last month. Economists expected the reading to show a monthly gain of 0.2% in July, in line with the previous month’s reading, according to Dow Jones consensus estimates.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/12/stock-market-today-live-updates.html

Last time I checked it was up around 400 points.

It seem unlikely that inflation will be show to be running hot. And the decline in the PPI is especially good news since it's more predictive of future inflation levels.

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Good News! The first of those numbers is in

Dow rallies more than 350 points as tame inflation data fuels market comeback

The Dow Jones Industrial Average  rallied Tuesday, as equities moving closer to last month’s record levels following the first of two key U.S. inflation reports this week...

The producer price index — a measure of wholesale prices — increased 0.1% last month. Economists expected the reading to show a monthly gain of 0.2% in July, in line with the previous month’s reading, according to Dow Jones consensus estimates.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/12/stock-market-today-live-updates.html

Last time I checked it was up around 400 points.

It seem unlikely that inflation will be show to be running hot. And the decline in the PPI is especially good news since it's more predictive of future inflation levels.

So far so good. See what tomorrows brings as that is the big one.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

I don't see why that's the big one. Stock markets are forward looking. The producer price index gives an indication of how much consumer prices will rise. Maybe in popular reporting it's paid more attention to, but for investors and economists the PPI seems to be more important.

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

Hopefully it’s good I’d sure like to see interest rates go down!

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

faux news, right. 

So only ~53% higher than when Biden took office and, and 45% over target, great news! 

You sound disappointed……me I’m looking forward to an interest rate cut!!thanks to the fed and this administration’s wisdom in keeping out of their way

2 hours ago, Tug said:

You sound disappointed……me I’m looking forward to an interest rate cut!!thanks to the fed and this administration’s wisdom in keeping out of their way

The "administration’s wisdom" gave us the right rates via high inflation. 

56 minutes ago, TedG said:

The "administration’s wisdom" gave us the right rates via high inflation. 

You know full well inflation has been a worldwide scourge after Covid the USA has had the best results fighting it amongst the developed nations I for one am delighted to see we are continuing to make progress taming it.

1 hour ago, TedG said:

It's been a brutal three years of JoeFlatioin. 

Really? Is he responsible for the high inflation that afflicted most of the world also? Reasonable people would understand to look elsewhere. Obviously supply chain disruption was a huge Factor.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps the 1% are taking their cut before the entire rotten edifice collapses.

I was thinking something with Iran. I am a market watcher and notice the small things. A pull back right before 8 pm is unusual at the very last minute. Who knows?  

Just now, Cryingdick said:

I was thinking something with Iran. I am a market watcher and notice the small things. A pull back right before 8 pm is unusual at the very last minute. Who knows?  

Who knows indeed. Certainly none of us little people.

Okay so the jobs numbers are coming out in the morning. If inflation has cooled because people don't have jobs or money that will be bad. I am not saying that will be the case but the algos sold off tonight. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Tug said:

I'm happy it's coming down, but yeah, we could use a rate cut to drive it back up, but whatever we do, do not quit printing money or letting illegals in.

Along with inflation, look at home loans. It's amazing the bottom has not fallen out of that market yet. 

"In 2020, interest on a 30 year fixed was just under 3%, now it’s over 7%. The median home price in the US is about $425K. With 20% down, P & I at 3% is a $ 1,433   per month payment, at 7% that jumps to $2,262. That’s almost a 60% increase in less than four years."

Yeah, inflation is way down: 

Inflation.thumb.png.27758d603480ad9cc4478026e948d3d2.png

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data (bls.gov)

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

All i can say is it was a weird movement.

The Dow closed above 4,000 not bad,there was an all hands meeting today in the situation room today in regards to Iran that could be a wild card hopefully all will be ok and we can continue on a positive trajectory!

Just now, Tug said:

The Dow closed above 4,000 not bad,there was an all hands meeting today in the situation room today in regards to Iran that could be a wild card hopefully all will be ok and we can continue on a positive trajectory!

Yeah, no one ever said the rich were not getting richer. Income for the rich outpacing inflation. The poor? No so much. 

Hey Kamala, throw them some crumbs...