Mystery Deepens: Missing British Man Boarded Flight from Thailand

3 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I agree.
Of course, they shouldn’t release details to any Tom, Dick or Harry, but I would think family members have the right to know if a loved one was on a particular flight. 

Why would you think that?? 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never said they should, but they should to his family, That is what is inexcusable.

Oh no they should not!  Indeed it is probably illegal for them to do so, or not? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, tgw said:

this bit already tells everything:

I bet police on both sides did something.

They checked what they could check, probably got him on CCTV and got his immigration checkout photo, and the Finns are also guaranteed to know where he went.

BUT

as he is a grown man over 18, his travels, visa status, passport details, entry and exit stamps and whereabouts are nobody's business but his own.

Why/how would they possibly know to where he went??? 

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

....Some days, SAFETY, I wish that you would be one of them!!

bob.

Hi bob, have you cut off your wife's head now/yet...........:giggle:...............:sorry:

henry.jpg.baea8dbb4f5c7b46998d4870c72ba3ae.jpg

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

He is the one who keeps in touch with his family frequently. This is why they are worried. Him getting on another flight besides the one where he's going home, as told to his girlfriend, is suspicious. Why to Finland? I don't assume things but it does sound fishy, and if it were my son, I would also wonder why he changed plans to a totally different country.

There are Finnair flights to Heathrow via Helsinki, so that's not unusual.  If he normally keeps in touch but hasn't this time then that's more of a problem. It looks like an issue for the police,  mainly in Finland.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never said they should, but they should to his family, That is what is inexcusable.

But it is absolutely clear both that they should not, and that they cannot legally do this! 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

In a recent Facebook announcement, Sarah said, "We have confirmation Simon boarded the flight.

or someone else boarded the flight using his passport!

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Anywhere I've flown, the officer checking passports always scrutinized the passport picture, looking at me to make sure I was the one on the passport. This includes the US where I'm from. As far as I know airline tickets are non transferable. You can change flights for yourself but not let another fly on your ticket.

Really???  And why is US practice at all relevant here? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I rather doubt that any airline would reveal passenger details to anyone other than authorized entities such as the police or immigration. The Sun newspaper hardly falls into that category.

Flew with Finnair from Bangkok, arrived in Helsinki I was starved unbelievable the small amount of food they serve you.

Just now, Unamerican said:

Really???  And why is US practice at all relevant here? 

Because it's what immigration does everywhere I've traveled. Protocol is usually the same as far as travelers on airlines.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Unlikely seeing that he had been in constant contact with his sister. 

That doesn't mean they were on good terms, his family could be a nasty lot, which is why airlines should not disclose any info. on him or any other adult.

Just now, brianthainess said:

That doesn't mean they were on good terms, his family could be a nasty lot, which is why airlines should not disclose any info. on him or any other adult.

Nasty lots usually aren't too concerned about a family member's whereabouts.

7 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

It is not 1993 anymore with Immigration digital photos and fingerprints you think that is easy?

Actually yes.

If your fingerprints are not in Thailand's database, nothing will come up. 

And if I look kind of like you and walk into any of the 50,000 "travel offices" scattered around the country and want to buy a plane ticket, what are they going to do ? Ask for "your" passport and assume you are the rightful owner of it. Travel agents are not "trained Immigration officers charged with protecting the country from nefarious travellers".
So now "you" have a passport and a plane ticket and head for the airport.

And most Immigration officers barely glance at the thousands of passengers they see each day. They check basic details (skin colour, hair colour, roughly the right age and - name on passport matches boarding pass. If nothing pops up on the scanner, away you go.

I've never had one question why my hair is cut shorter than what's in the photo or why I don't have (or do have) a mustache.

It's not a Cold War "Checkpoint Charlie in East Berlin" type interrogation like you see in the movies.

And between 2003-2014 I flew from Canada to the Middle East a couple times, from the ME to Asia a few times, Asia to Canada and back a few times. Essentially went back and forth enough to have circled the globe (west to east and east to west) 3 times. 
Averaged 3 long distance international flights a year. Never had an Immigration Officer anywhere question me about anything more than how long I plan on staying.

I just read an article a couple hours ago where an Interpol spokesman noted that only about 20 member countries actually check passports against the Interpol database.

And MH370 was only 10 years ago. Yet two Iranians were able to board using a stolen Austrian and a stolen Italian passport.

And 5 years ago when I was leaving Canada to come back here I "tested" the system.

I checked in for my flight, girl checked my passport was valid and name matched the ticket. Gave me my boarding pass.

I went to a food court and sat for an hour watching people check in and head to the security check. Or the bathroom. Or the food court. Or the shops.
Then I went to the bathroom and then into Security.

Where they scanned my carry-on and checked the name on my passport against the name on the boarding pass. And as I sort of looked like the person in the photo I was waved through and into the departure area.

Which was why I was paying attention and "testing" the system because once I passed the Security screen - I was in the Departure area and could simply board my flight.

NO Immigration passport check - at all !!! 

And that is in Canada !

I had recalled on a trip in 2014 that I didn't remember going through Immigration when I left but thought I must have just had a brain-fart or something.

But no - when you leave Canada, no one checks your passport to see if you are really you !

Simple as can be. You check in for a flight. Get your boarding pass and go to the bathroom. Mohammed, who more or less kind of looks like you, takes your passport and boarding pass and goes through security.

Security looks, yep, similar skin colour, dark hair, age looks right, name matches boarding pass - "have a nice flight" and away you go.

(I suspect they do that in Canada because they don't really want to know who is leaving the country or accidentally "catch someone" that isn't supposed to be there in the first place.)

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

95 year old grumpy father and 84 year old yes mom... 555 so no...

Ok, I feel you, but I guess you should talk to them little bit, as people many times regret that when it´s too late. 🙂 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Nasty lots usually aren't too concerned about a family member's whereabouts.

That depends on many factors, does it not ? Money owed/stolen, drug dealers the list is endless, wrongly accused of something by the family, none of us know and probably never Will.