Mystery Deepens: Missing British Man Boarded Flight from Thailand

5 hours ago, Geo. T said:

Why would you think the poster is fake? It seems likely it was made by his friend or his family, and they put the information in, so it's not quite up to official standards ie metric or Imperial. Also, if it was made by a friend or family member when they say to contact British police, they might mean to contact British, not try and contact Thai police.

By 'fake' I simply mean not produced by an official source, i.e. the South Yorkshire Police and on that point. you do seem to agree with me.

And indeed I do agree with you as to their (the producers) intent in producing it.

20 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I agree.
Of course, they shouldn’t release details to any Tom, Dick or Harry, but I would think family members have the right to know if a loved one was on a particular flight. 

When it's a missing person's case, the police would get information. Brits didn't declare it as a missing person's case and no personal details should be released of any private person to anyone but themselves. Not family, not friends, not spouse. 

Edited by artotle
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

any update   ?   is he in Finland or Thailand   

the plot thickens ...

He didn't have funds for a direct flight to UK so a stopover in finland sounds resonably,  what ever happened there nobody knows.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, watchcat said:

He didn't have funds for a direct flight to UK so a stopover in finland sounds resonably,  what ever happened there nobody knows.

aha .... maybe he has friends in Helsinki that he is staying with ...  we just don't know.

after boarding ...  he vanished into Finnair 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, steven100 said:

aha .... maybe he has friends in Helsinki that he is staying with ...  we just don't know.

after boarding ...  he vanished into Finnair 

He's probably here,...

Somewhereimage.thumb.jpeg.59caa065b6e4ed2f887debd0447b2635.jpeg

It would have been easy to just exit the airport doors, and continue walking in almost any direction.

Norway is very sparsely populated, and this time of year the climate is good for camping.

If I were he, I would just take the supplies I could carry in a backpack, and leave the world, with its troubles, behind.

We all know that young people, today, and around the world, especially in China, are choosing to Lie Flat, and the Lying Flat Movement is all about no marriage, no job, no house, and no children to care for.

I believe that this is a possibility.

Sometimes, the stress of society becomes too much for any thinking individual to bear.

(Speaking of Bears, I happen to know that part of the woods has bears, very close to Helsinki:

image.png.75981255eefdf42edc5de4ca91064f3a.png)

Edited by GammaGlobulin

I was a flight attendant for 10 years. It is entirely possible that a person can board a flight and during the ensuing commotion of passengers getting on he/she could get off the airplane and bugger off. I've known it to happen. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think  we are not getting the whole story. 

Someone going on a 'dream holiday' from UK to Thailand, does not go for only 3 to 5 days, they would be gong to spend 3 to 5 weeks in LOS, and they would have been planning the trip for weeks.  Most likely been studying LP guides and have some travel plans, which they would have told all their close friends.

Why  so much a secret where he went and where he stayed?  

Why goon holiday without his 'girlfriend."   Would she have let him free in Bangkok?  Just to seethe temples?

Was this one of those 'bargains'?  Free ticket to Bangkok with 5 day stop-over in exchange for carrying a 'package' to Bangkok?

Did he get inquisitive and look in the package?   

Decide to keep the contents and doa runner back to safety in UK?

Package recipient in Bangkok very upset and deals him?

Now look in drainage ditches near Swampy.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

It would have been easy to just exit the airport doors, and continue walking in almost any direction.

Airports tend to be pretty secure, so he would have had to clear Finnish immigration to do that. No evidence offered yet that he did do that.

4 hours ago, watchcat said:

He didn't have what now? He most likely had a r/t ticket on AY and, if his flight originated from MAN (he lives in the north of England so unlikely to have used LHR), there's no same-day transfer BKK-HEL-MAN so a +16 hour layover. Even if he had used LHR, most of those connections also require clearing immigration and a night in a hotel.

HEL air side is single-terminal so no need to pass through immigration. It's a very nice airport, but not so big that one could 'disappear' for 16 hours, let alone several days.

47 minutes ago, Robin said:

Someone going on a 'dream holiday' from UK to Thailand, does not go for only 3 to 5 days, they would be gong to spend 3 to 5 weeks in LOS, and they would have been planning the trip for weeks. 

Where is the information that he was on a "dream holiday"?

His original trip itinerary was 13 days and not 'only 3 to 5 days'. So he shaved three days off. That still leaves about 10 days in Thailand.

That's long enough to catch the clap and not know about it until he pisses razor blades on the plane, panics and decides he can't go see his girlfriend straight away.

Maybe hiding in a dunny at Helsinki-Vantaa?

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Where is the information that he was on a "dream holiday"?

His original trip itinerary was 13 days and not 'only 3 to 5 days'. So he shaved three days off. That still leaves about 10 days in Thailand.

That's long enough to catch the clap and not know about it until he pisses razor blades on the plane, panics and decides he can't go see his girlfriend straight away.

Maybe hiding in a dunny at Helsinki-Vantaa?

That sounds reasonable.

Always stay protected or celibate.

On 8/7/2024 at 3:18 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

What's all the fuss, hundreds of people go missing around the world daily. 

Nonsense article, He will turn up, good to go. 

All that we can do is hope your right.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Is that why road distances and speed limits are still in MILES?

I think the simplest and most logical answer to that is the huge cost of changing all the road signs. (plus maps and travel guides etc)

The bigger confusion came when they switched from selling fuel in gallons to liters in 1995. So now how does the Great British public express fuel consumption?

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

He's already been found, he was never lost. 

They never are lost, they just don't talk to their interfering, irritating, smothering  families, who they left to get away from.  I know, I have kids. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

All because of a woman he'd met on a 2 week holiday.

Not the first. After suffering the attitude of western woman, meeting a woman that seems to actually like one can be such a shock that many western men lose their minds and think the woman is "in love". Obviously the woman isn't going to spill the beans till he has transferred as much money as going to.

After my first visit I thought I'd met the love of my life, but after I returned to the land of reality realised it was just my imagination.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

We all know that young people, today, and around the world, especially in China, are choosing to Lie Flat, and the Lying Flat Movement is all about no marriage, no job, no house, and no children to care for.

They are obviously the clever ones. While I happily never had sprogs, marriage was only a one way ticket to horror. However, if they don't have a job, how do they live?

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, if they don't have a job, how do they live?

They just lie flat.

I think, given the world situation that young people today face, there are many who will be bugging out, even without thought to the future...since there is, very likely, no future ahead for anyone.

Young people realize this, even better than older generations.

There is no longer any point in many of the institutions that older people and earlier generations once held sacred.

The end is nigh...

And, many more people are going to just drop out of society.

How can you blame them?

2 hours ago, Robin said:

I think  we are not getting the whole story. 

Someone going on a 'dream holiday' from UK to Thailand, does not go for only 3 to 5 days, they would be gong to spend 3 to 5 weeks in LOS, and they would have been planning the trip for weeks.  Most likely been studying LP guides and have some travel plans, which they would have told all their close friends.

Why  so much a secret where he went and where he stayed?  

Why goon holiday without his 'girlfriend."   Would she have let him free in Bangkok?  Just to seethe temples?

Was this one of those 'bargains'?  Free ticket to Bangkok with 5 day stop-over in exchange for carrying a 'package' to Bangkok?

Did he get inquisitive and look in the package?   

Decide to keep the contents and doa runner back to safety in UK?

Package recipient in Bangkok very upset and deals him?

Now look in drainage ditches near Swampy.

are you saying like ....     maybe a mule    ? 

16 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Why?

Do I really need to point out that the distance to motorway junctions is in miles, and to Give Way signs in Yards. And Speed Limits in MPH.

Edited by KannikaP

9 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do I really need to point out that the distance to motorway junctions is in miles, and to Give Way signs in Yards. And Speed Limits in MPH.

Absolutely you're correct, but you're confused with road markings and road signage, all road markings are measured in metric, even motorway marker posts are 100mtrs apart, I was involved in road markings from 1975, they were using the metric system before that.

Like I said in my original post, all road markings are in metric. 

Edited by roo860

11 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Absolutely you're correct, but you're confused with road markings and road signage, all road markings are measured in metric, even motorway marker posts are 100mtrs apart, I was involved in road markings from 1975, they were using the metric system before that.

Like I said in my original post, all road markings are in metric. 

How confusing for the poor motorists! You break down and call the AA who asks where you are.

Oh, I am at motorway marker post no. 5      Where's that asks AA    3 miles from the junction   555

Glad to see that Google Maps etc are still in miles in UK.

Edited by KannikaP