Help needed to be able to transfer money from my UK bank

Hi,

I am a UK citizen having an extended holiday in Thailand. I want to transfer money from my Nationwide current account to a new payee but to do that Nationwide insists that I insert my Debit card into a card reader.

I did not bring my Nationwide Debit or Credit cards with me to Thailand.

I can log into my Nationwide account via the internet and they send a OTP to my UK SIM card.

Nationwide via secure messages after I am logged in still insist that to send money to a new payee I would need to insert my card into a card reader.

I have just had a conversation with a friend and they firmly believe that because I have a UK SIM card I can download Nationwide banking App to my phone, then I can transfer to a new payee without needing my debit card or card reader.

I have a gut feeling that to fully install the App I would need to be in the UK but I don’t have specific details and I might be wrong. Maybe to set up and register the App I would need my card and a card reader? I am just guessing.

It just seems too easy to just install the banking App. to overcome my problem.

Does anyone have any information about this?

It would help me decide whether to try installing the banking App or wait until I am back in the UK early next year.

Thanks in advance

Keith

23 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Instead of faffing about with the Nationwide banking app, why not use Wise to make transfers from your Nationwide current account to your new payee (who, I assume, has a Thai bank account)? That's how many of us Brit expats living in Thailand (myself included) transfer monies from UK bank accounts to our Thai accounts.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers

https://wise.com/gb/send-money/

Probably, because Wise would also be a 'new payee' he would be right back where he started

To the OP go with Nationwide's App (most things authorised by biometrics, failing that using digits from your login number)- what's to lose?

• Love It 1

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Instead of faffing about with the Nationwide banking app, why not use Wise to make transfers from your Nationwide current account to your new payee (who, I assume, has a Thai bank account)? That's how many of us Brit expats living in Thailand (myself included) transfer monies from UK bank accounts to our Thai accounts.

https://wise.com/help/articles/2932335/guide-to-thb-transfers

https://wise.com/gb/send-money/

@OJAS Thanks for the links and I know you mean well but I have used Wise a few times in the past to transfer UKpounds to my Thai bank. Nationwide now regards Wise as a new payee and so it cannot be done.

16 hours ago, Regyai said:

Probably, because Wise would also be a 'new payee' he would be right back where he started

To the OP go with Nationwide's App (most things authorised by biometrics, failing that using digits from your login number)- what's to lose?

Exactly right @Regyai I haven't been able to transfer money out of Nationwide to a new payee for about 2 years. I have used my other bank Cahoot to transfer money via Wise to my Thai bank but they even blocked the transfer and I had to phone their fraud dept and answer lots of security questions before they unblocked the transfer. 

I'm not complaining as the security is done to help to protect us against all those nasty people.

I was going to try to install the Nationwide App as you suggest but I had a further problem after I posted in that my UK SIM card has now stopped working.

2 days ago it did not receive a OTP text, I removed the SIM card, cleaned it with a little alcohol, re-inserted and it was then good.

Yesterday the SIM was again faulty, I tried it in a different phone, I had an online chat with a Vodapone guy who was good, the SIM has gone faulty!

Again I am not complaining or in trouble, I have been in Thailand now continuously for 7 years and love life here. I need to go back to the UK to sort out many things and plan to do so early next year.

I have more than enough Thai baht in my Thai bank to last until I return to the UK.

After I am in the UK I will buy at least 2 more SIM PAYG, one being an eSIM etc etc

I was going to try to install the Nationwide App but now because I not have a working SIM phone number that is registered with Nationwide I don't think it will be sucessful, just my gut feeling.

Actually now, since yesterday when my UK SIM card stopped working I cannot login to any of my UK bank accounts! I am alright but it could be a big problem for some people.

Sorry I am running on as I am having a beer.

Thanks for your comment.   

I concur. You'll only be impersonating the futility of King Canute with the kaput SIM in the mix and not physically being in the UK.

Having been in the reverse situation - being in the UK when the Thai SIM registered with both my Thai banks drew it's last breath. It's a nightmare. Only one of my Thai banks permits registering an additional second phone #/SIM (switchable on-line) which was set up too on my return to LOS.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2024 at 12:19 PM, Keith5588 said:

Nationwide via secure messages after I am logged in still insist that to send money to a new payee I would need to insert my card into a card reader.

I believe that any banks card reader can be used. Do you know anyone who will let you use theirs?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I believe that any banks card reader can be used. Do you know anyone who will let you use theirs?

Thanks @chickenslegs I am aware of that, actually I have 2 card readers I brought with me to Thailand 7 years ago .................  I do not have my card!

11 minutes ago, Keith5588 said:

Thanks @chickenslegs I am aware of that, actually I have 2 card readers I brought with me to Thailand 7 years ago .................  I do not have my card!

Are there not óther methods' like via email.

On 8/7/2024 at 12:19 PM, Keith5588 said:

I have just had a conversation with a friend and they firmly believe that because I have a UK SIM card I can download Nationwide banking App to my phone, then I can transfer to a new payee without needing my debit card or card reader.

I have a gut feeling that to fully install the App I would need to be in the UK but I don’t have specific details and I might be wrong. Maybe to set up and register the App I would need my card and a card reader? I am just guessing.

Thanks in advance

Keith

You need to install a VPN on your phone....I used KIWI VPN its free and downloaded it from the PlayStore....set your location to the UK and google search for the Nationwide  Banking app it should show it available through the Playstore download then log in.....I did this for a mate here last month and it worked a treat....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, petermik said:

You need to install a VPN on your phone....I used KIWI VPN its free and downloaded it from the PlayStore....set your location to the UK and google search for the Nationwide  Banking app it should show it available through the Playstore download then log in.....I did this for a mate here last month and it worked a treat....:thumbsup:

Thanks for the information @petermik  As I have written above my UK SIM has now stopped working. So if I do as you suggest I don't think I will be able to log in as my phone number registered with Nationwide now does not work. 

I wish that I tried what you suggest when my UK SIM was working.

Also when I exchanged messages after logging in with Nationwide they said the only way to transfer money to a new payee was to use my card and card reader. I assume that I wouldn't need that if I have the App installed. They never mentioned that but I think I wrote that I was in Thailand which is why I not have my debit card. So maybe she assumed that I would not be able to install the Nationwide App?

Do you agree with my thinking?