VLC Media Player Has Crashed.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I am assuming you are trying to open the movie from VLC.

If you go to windows explorer and then click on the external  hard drive, find the movie folder, the movie you want and click to  open it.

The response time of windows explorer will indicate if there is a problem with the drive.

If all ok there is every chance that it will try and open with Windows Media Player, unless you have changed the default. If it opens and plays ok then the problem may well be down to VLC, if it doesn't play then would appear to be the drive.

I will try and see what you and kannikaP Have told me. Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What makes it better than VLC please?

Used VLC for a few years before discovering Xplayer. Found X more user friendly on Android and managed some formats better than VLC. I still use VLC only on my Windows laptop...and it's my backup on my Android devices. 

32 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Used VLC for a few years before discovering Xplayer. Found X more user friendly on Android and managed some formats better than VLC. I still use VLC only on my Windows laptop...and it's my backup on my Android devices. 

What do you mean by more user friendly. You click on a movie or music file to play it, and that's what it does.

VLC has the ability to convert files, and to extract audio from movies/you tubes. Maybe X Player does as well, I shall give it a go.

Just installed and tried it. I shall stick with VLC, no difference in sound quality.

Edited by KannikaP

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Glary Utilities also scans the Registry when a programme is uninstalled.

Sure, there are actually quite many on the market. I just took 2 that I thought should do the work 🙂 

if you suspect your external drive might be the cause (being half full should not be an issue tho)
copy the file you want to watch to internal drive
then watch and see if VLC still crashes
this will confirm if due to external drive or not
is the crash random?
happening with any file?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

VLC is working fine for me on Windows, Ubuntu & Android.

Include OSX.

VLC is an amazing open source piece of software, but I became unfaithful to it once I found PLEX. I know the latter isn't for everyone, but once you have a family with about 15 devices that can access it around the house the media server becomes a must.

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

It is built in.

Go to windows explorer and click on the drive, Right click and select "Properties", from the options at top click on "tools",  lower  option should be "organise and defragment".

I have been to the local computer shop, the guy does not speak any English, I think things OK now but thanks to both you and KannikaP for your help.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Mostly, it will not be enough with just uninstalling a crashed program in the Windows standard way. I suggest you download IObit Uninstaller, and after uninstall the program from that interface. Usually it will make a more clean uninstall and also remove registry entries as well as settings for a program. An alternative to IObit is Advanced PC Cleanup.

After that, you should restart your computer, and reinstall the VLC player. Hopefully, that will help you with your problem.

I installed that 10 bit uninstaller, that's been a great help thanks.

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

if you suspect your external drive might be the cause (being half full should not be an issue tho)
copy the file you want to watch to internal drive
then watch and see if VLC still crashes
this will confirm if due to external drive or not
is the crash random?
happening with any file?

I tried it with my other player MPC-HC (+64) and at one point the characters kept going into slow motion.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

I installed that 10 bit uninstaller, that's been a great help thanks.

Glad it helps you. Hope you get it running again with no problem.

• Thanks 1

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.  First time in many years I had a problem with VLC. 

First, I downloaded and installed an update, but still no luv.  So I deleted the program and as many folders as I could identify that were associated with it (manually, no dedicated cleanup software. It's been years since I needed cleanup software, and I didn't want to spend the time relearning the software unless I had to).  Since I downloaded and installed the latest version, it's been working fine.

Win 10 laptop, playing off about 6 USB 2-1/2" Hard Drives (Not SSD's) with capacity of 1, 2 and 4 TB each. They're connected to my laptop through an Orico 13 port powered USB adapter, which I absolutely love.

Obviously, YMMV.

Edit:  I don't know if it matters, but I avoid 4K and higher resolution videos since my 40" screen is 1920x1080, the 4K files are so big, and they eat bandwidth downloading them.  I stick to 1080P and 720P, depending on the media.

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I tried it with my other player MPC-HC (+64) and at one point the characters kept going into slow motion.

if the problem is due to external hdd, like you state you think,
using a different player will not help
hence why i suggested copying the file to internal drive to confirm if external hdd is cause or not
but i have never had VLC crash and if it did due to connection loss of external hdd i would expect it to throw an error message on screen stating so
what does it say in windows event viewer when VLC crashes?

On 8/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, NoshowJones said:

"It." A particular file? Could be corrupt. Can you copy the file to internal storage?

7 hours ago, patman30 said:

if the problem is due to external hdd, like you state you think,
using a different player will not help
hence why i suggested copying the file to internal drive to confirm if external hdd is cause or not
but i have never had VLC crash and if it did due to connection loss of external hdd i would expect it to throw an error message on screen stating so
what does it say in windows event viewer when VLC crashes?

I have found out more now, the problem lies when you put a PSV stick, I think it's called, into the laptop, it causes the VLC player to crash, but not the Pot Player. after a little while the VLC player is OK again as long as I don't use a PSV stick.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, BigStar said:

"It." A particular file? Could be corrupt. Can you copy the file to internal storage?

No not corrupt, read the next post, and thanks for your help. Sorry I meant the previous post.

Edited by NoshowJones
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2024 at 4:14 PM, NoshowJones said:

No not corrupt, read the next post, and thanks for your help. Sorry I meant the previous post.

Thank you all for your help. Here is the situation. Everything has worked out OK, but for one thing. I cannot use VLC in my Acer laptop as when I try, a notice comes up saying that the VLC player has crashed, this happens every time without fail, but my other player Pot Player, has no such problem.

I showed it to my local computer guy who cannot speak a word of English, so he translated it on his phone and will get back in touch with me.

• Thanks 1