Government to Crack Down on Low-Quality Chinese Imports

4 hours ago, Elkski said:

Temu does have super low prices.  I looked after the super bowl ad but never bought anything.  Prices so low shipped I thought it can't be real .  Some might be crap but it shows you how much profit American companies have been making for their made in China products  these last 25 years.  

Regarding 🇺🇸pricing for Chinese products- agree 100%!  

Took a chance- first TEMU purchase recently, a Revasri golf rangefinder ฿3400- may as well be no name. It has more features than the $250 Callaway range finder I mistakenly left in the U.S. It’s just as quick/accurate- maybe quicker. Selection on Temu is beyond anything else available in the land of smiles. Much of my life I’ve used online shopping (even once bought a Lincoln Navigator via eBay motors😆).  For me, Temu app/website is the next best thing to Amazon-shopping online with respect to ease of use and product availability.

Lazada app is less than intuitive with heaps of spam marketing. many things I want or need I cannot even find there. I have purchased several thingamajigs and dohickeys via Lazada- some ship from Thailand, some ship from China… but 99% from China. 

To that point, China manufactures a lot of big-brand stuff including my Iphone, Nikes and a myriad of products I’ve used over time… aside from “junk“, they do have some know-how to produce a lot of stuff I want/need… like a golf rangefinder!

Cheers!

12 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

In a bid to protect local businesses, the Thai Ministry of Commerce is considering stringent measures against the influx of cheap and substandard products from China. Local enterprises have been clamouring for action, citing the overwhelming presence of these products both online and in physical stores, which is threatening their survival.

Recently, a significant meeting was convened, attended by representatives from the Commerce Ministry, the Ministries of Public Health, Digital Economy and Society, Finance, and various regulatory bodies. The focal point of the discussion was the negative impact of low-quality Chinese imports on local markets. 

A surge in possibly illegal Chinese establishments in tourist areas has also raised eyebrows, further aggravating the issue. Adding to these concerns is the impending launch of a major Chinese online platform, Temu, which promises to deliver goods at staggeringly low prices within five days.

Commerce Permanent Secretary Vuttikrai Leewiraphan addressed the media today, shedding light on the planned approach. The crackdown will target both physical and online trade models. Officials will scrutinise whether the products entering the Thai market are imported legally and have undergone necessary quality checks.

In physical stores, particularly those in Chinese-dominated areas, officials will verify whether the workforce includes non-Thai employees without proper work permits, as well as whether these establishments are legally registered and compliant with intellectual property laws.

For the online market, collaboration with the Customs Department will be crucial. By monitoring the top ten most popular online products, authorities can ensure they meet Thailand's quality standards and are legally permissible.

This decisive action by the government aims to stem the flood of inferior goods, thereby levelling the playing field for local businesses and ensuring consumer safety. As Thai officials gear up for this crackdown, it remains to be seen how swiftly and effectively these measures will be implemented.

TOP File photo for reference only. Courtesy: ThaiSMEeCenter

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-09

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Oh, what will the Big Boss in China say? 

8 hours ago, renaissanc said:

I won't buy anything Chinese as they break quickly. Chinese foods are likely to be toxic. 

I challenge you to look around yourself, your house, your car, everything, and find anything that's not made in China. You must not be paying attention. Chinese products are here to stay. 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I challenge you to look around yourself, your house, your car, everything, and find anything that's not made in China. You must not be paying attention. Chinese products are here to stay. 

Come to OZ the biggest hardware chain stocks nothing but Chinese goods every second car is Chinese-made 

19 hours ago, JoePai said:

Crack Down on Low-Quality Chinese Imports

Unfortunately that is all the majority of Thais can afford

I remember a similar complaint in Nigeria by some 'politicians' who said China should stop selling cheap crap to Nigeria, to which the Chinese Embassador said 'China can produce very high quality goods, its just Nigeria won't pay for them!'

Edited by Ricardo99
Typo

16 hours ago, hotchilli said:

So why are most of the cheap Chinese/Asian products available in every market, shop, stall and supermarket?

Because Thailand doesn't make them themselves.

Get rid of the cheap options and the markets/traders would be out of work.

Its like the cheap ' Chinese Silk' shirt you can sometimes find, has a Made in Thailand label on the inside of the collar, but the waah tage says made in china 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, KannikaP said:

I am posting this using my 2018 Huawei phone. Not broken. 

And every component in my 8 year old PC is Made in China. As is my Karcher pressure washer.

I was thinking the same as you!

They probably posted that on their "American" iPhone... made in China! 

• Love It 1

This seems totally unbelievable! I was under the impression that Thailand was a client state of the CCP?

The "Big Money" crooks in Bangkok are bought and paid for by Chinese. Why else would they allow "Zero Dollar"

Chinese tourists to pay for their entire Thai holiday in China. Follow the money!!!! Thailand is a great country with

wonderful people but the leaders do the country a disservice daily. 

22 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

The same scenerio has been going on for decades, from the post war factories in Japan  to South Korea, Taiwan to Indonesia, the Philipines and Thailand etc.  They have all had their turn as the Tiger and faced the same criticism over "low quality goods".   And now its Chinas turn but still to this day there are those that still dont get the fact that "low quality goods" is exactly what people want!   Otherwise the whole thing wouldnt be happening again and again would it?                     :stoner:

heard that Thailand is already taxing goods coming from China, do you know anything about that. Friends wife bought some bedding in China to be shipped to Thailand the seller said no problem, but that would have a 50 or 60 Rmb (around 280-300 baht for a 4k baht purchase) tax added to the price

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

heard that Thailand is already taxing goods coming from China, do you know anything about that. Friends wife bought some bedding in China to be shipped to Thailand the seller said no problem, but that would have a 50 or 60 Rmb (around 280-300 baht for a 4k baht purchase) tax added to the price

Its nothing new, I have brought a lot in from China and its hit and miss at the border, same with Thai post, sometimes they open and charge import duty sometimes they let them go.  Obviously the bigger the item the more chance of scrutiny.

On 8/9/2024 at 3:11 PM, kensisaket said:

"In a bid to protect local businesses, the Thai Ministry of Commerce is considering stringent measures against the influx of cheap and substandard products from China. Local enterprises have been clamouring for action, citing the overwhelming presence of these products both online and in physical stores, which is threatening their survival."

Am I the only one who sees this as B.S.?  Not one of the products ordered from the major online sources like Lazada which are shipped from China incur import duties; or, taxes.  You want to stop that "influx", add 20% import duty + 7% tax on that stuff. The reality is that will NEVER happen.  Thus, I call B.S. 

First person that actually wants higher taxes on imported goods.

Thailand already has some of the highest import/Duty taxes in the world.  

Almost impossible. Who is to say what is low quality? There are two scenarios for product specifications. The manufacturer makes what they think will sell and people buy it or not. Alternatively, the customer provides a specification and pays for the manufacturer to meet it. Either way, the market will determine what people want and what they will provide.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Mavideol said:

you can tell the friends wife they do sell bedding in Thailand. 

• Confused 1

The PM Stretha and those advising him are probably the worst leadership Thailand has seen in it's history (including coups). 

The man has made no attempts to diversify the economy, despite most international organisations suggesting they should.

Instead he has double downed and struck Thailand on course for decades more of cheap mass tourism. 

No attempts to clean up tourism (scams, taxis, hotel standards, safety)

No attempts to improve the infrustructure to compliment his attempts at doubling visitor numbers. 

The scanadalous and immoral decision to allow Russians to hide out in Thailand - and the problems they bough to Phuket with taking over mass residences (forcing Thai's out), working, and taking over businesses illegally. 

His wreckless and needless removal of chinese visa fees was one thing, but to then double down the crazy decisions he then decides to remove all checks and balances for Indian visitors! Indians can't get into any other country the way they are getting into Thailand, not even third world African countries allow them in this easily. Their GDP per person is 3 times less than the average Thai. There was simply no need for it. Indian tourists, whilst welcome, are very low spenders. Who did he consult in removing billions from the visa fees they bought in, as well as the checks and balances they bought? 

By creating a country that is reliant on cheap mass tourists you turn away quality spending tourists. With a country with so much beauty it's a scandal he would introduce such an ecological disaster to the place. Why would a quality high spending tourist come to Thailand and surround himself with mass Chinese and Indian tourists?

The man is from the background of a real estate company - all these policies will definately help that. By allowing foreigners to stay long term in a country that is still developing, you are risking throwing out local Thai's from housing and making life harder for them. 

The net effect of accomodation being too expensive for Thai people will be that they will demand more wages, which will in turn push prices up. A nice mix of things getting expensive and cheap tourists. 

Even now there is no stopping him. Revenue per head down in Thailand, so his answer is to increase the numbers to make up for the loss in revenue. 

The enviromental impact. Some of the most natural beautiful places in the world, all set to be destroyed as millions of cheap visitors wreck them. 

Build an airport here and there, doesn't mean you can ignore the blatant appalling infrustructure on the roads, flooding, traffic chaos. 

Nothing to address pollution. Chiang Mai will be once again the most polluted city in the world next year burning season. Scandalous. 

And what about the experience he hopes to give to visitors? If you are packing them in like sardines you will have very low enjoyment. 

Absurd, dangerous and wrong. The worst PM at the worst possible time. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2024 at 1:09 PM, renaissanc said:

I won't buy anything Chinese as they break quickly. Chinese foods are likely to be toxic. 

Exactly where do you shop now pray tell?

One of the principles of capitalism is supply and demand. The Chinese are able to supply at a price the Thais demand. 

How can it be stopped by government interference? Isn't that communism?

Edited by Purdey