Thailand's Digital Wallet Scheme: The Future of Money

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has launched a ground-breaking digital wallet stipend scheme for eligible citizens, offering a potential glimpse into the future of money management.

Just to be clear, this is NOT a stipend.

A stipend is a regular, recurring payment.

This 10,000 baht digital wallet scheme is a one-time payment.

And the over-under on the number of people charged with implementing or corrupting this scheme is 1,500.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:
6 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand has launched a ground-breaking digital wallet stipend scheme for eligible citizens, offering a potential glimpse into the future of money management.

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Just to be clear, this is NOT a stipend.

A stipend is a regular, recurring payment.

This 10,000 baht digital wallet scheme is a one-time payment.

And the over-under on the number of people charged with implementing or corrupting this scheme is 1,500.

Just to be clear It is not going to be paid out as a 'one time payment'. It will be spread out over 6 months. So it's a bit of a stretch, but 'stipend' fits, just.

5 hours ago, patman30 said:

Sorry poor people, because your government is corrupt
you will not be allowed to save any of the pittance you earn to try and bring your family out of poverty
you will also be restricted where you can spend your pittance to ensure you cannot buy any goods that would help you be less poor

No one has ever claimed that it will 'bring them out of poverty.

Its purpose is to 'stimulate the local economy' which is why they can only use it in their local area, so saving their money isn't going to achieve that is it.

There are so many misconceptions about this scheme.  

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The author has believed the hype from the  government's PR people.

Wrong the author has believed misinformation from other sources.

The author also appears to believe, like many others, that Thailand has never had any previous digital wallet initiatives.

The 50/50 scheme had 5 phases with participation over 28 million.

Edited by sandyf

Just had a conversation with my wife, about this, who is entitled and she said " I not give any details about me to anyone, they will steal my money from my bank "

Fair Enough I can understand her reasoning, we will see what happens only time will tell.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Just to be clear It is not going to be paid out as a 'one time payment'. It will be spread out over 6 months. So it's a bit of a stretch, but 'stipend' fits, just.

So will it be 1000/6 = 1666 per month. My Mrs spends more than that at Makro per month. Can it be accumulated?

How will anyone without a phone get access to the money?

What are the geographical limitations on spending this money?

Edited by KannikaP

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just had a conversation with my wife, about this, who is entitled and she said " I not give any details about me to anyone, they will steal my money from my bank "

Fair Enough I can understand her reasoning, we will see what happens only time will tell.

She will not have to give bank details when she registers. This is a digital wallet remember. The money will not be deposited into her bank account.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

So will it be 1000/6 = 1666 per month. My Mrs spends more than that at Makro per month. Can it be accumulated?

How will anyone without a phone get access to the money?

What are the geographical limitations on spending this money?

1. I don't know but it's a reasonable guess. It has to be spent within 6 months.

2. Those without smartphones will be able to use their Thai ID cards.

3. Your guess is as good as mine. How does one define 'local' in Thailand?

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thanks 1

Dystopian future that says, you could spend your money but you couldn't save it and so you wouldn't own anything and everyone would be happy.

Welcome in your happy future.

Edited by BE88
  • Agree 1