Was I being mean?

7 minutes ago, Terrance8812 said:

Where is Soi Cowboy? Sounds like it could be a place up in Korat near the Chokchai Farm. Is it also a good place though for live music in Thailand in general?

Soi Cowboy is in Phuket and yes, all the most famous Thai bands play there. I heard that Lamyai has just taken up a one year residency 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Soi Cowboy is in Phuket and yes, all the most famous Thai bands play there. I heard that Lamyai has just taken up a one year residency 🤣

Thank you for the great advice. I'll definitely check it out when I'm down there next week.

It's great to get some solid Intel for once on the local music scene because the last time someone gave me some advice on live music venues, I ended up in some Soi with dodgy bars close to the Sukhumvit/Asoke intersection.

I didn't stay long enough to listen to any music because I got chased down the street by a band of ladyboys who were flashing me their giblets. 

They kept calling me Dull-ling-Dull-ling. Not sure how they knew my middle name is Darren, but I guess that's just their funny way of pronouncing it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, James9999 said:

I went to few music bars in Pattaya and Bangkok and was in the penny Black in Soi Cow last night with the gf. We had been there before and the other two in Soi Cowboy. Last night we happend to have been there when they came around for tips for the band. There had been five vocalists there plus sax, guita, bass, drums and keyboard player. I put 100 baht in. Then I had to pay the bar bill that was 1050 baht. I had a 1000 baht note and a 50 baht note so put that down. The gf said to give the waitress a tip so I took the 50 baht note back and put a 100 baht note down so the waitress could take the 50 baht change assuming that was hers and it wasn't a communial tipping system. Afterwards the gf took me to task for giving 100 baht to the band, 10 people and only 50 baht to waitress, who basically hadn't done very much anyway, just brought us the drinks. The band had been going non stop for about at least the 3 hours that we were there. She said I should have made the tips the same. I don't know if that meant only giving the band 10 people 50 or give the waitress 100. What is the tipping etiquette?

Thai girlfriends/wives are good at spending other peoples money, tell her to get a real job and she can tip whatever she wants

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You did the right thing but ask your concerned girlfriend if the band was performing free and relying on tips (they weren't) or whether they were getting paid by the bar and ask her how much she tipped the band in comparison to your tip.     

The band typically gets a portion of the drink bill, 10 baht a beer I was told in Toy's music bar on 2nd road in Pattaya when I used to drink there years ago when they had the wonderful Filipino band with the excellent guitarist.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, James9999 said:

Afterwards the gf took me to task

How much did the gf tip? 

Sometimes these Thai chicks are over the top, there was no need for her to get hostile, it just spoils the moment. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, James9999 said:
16 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You did the right thing but ask your concerned girlfriend if the band was performing free and relying on tips (they weren't) or whether they were getting paid by the bar and ask her how much she tipped the band in comparison to your tip.     

I just assumed the band were paid.

They were.  There's no way that any band is going to perform for the evening for nothing but tips...unless they're a crappy amateur band with day jobs.

15 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Muslims drinking alcohol in Malaysia is frowned upon, as is oiled massages.

The do both when they cross the border into Thailand.

When I was in Pakistan, when departing from Karachi, as soon as the airplane was airborne, most of the females immediately went to the bathrooms to change into western garb.  The males meanwhile almost all ordered booze of some type.  Out of their country they feel that they do not have to obey the regligious rules.  

17 hours ago, Cameroni said:

You don't give tips inThailand.

Mainly due to Chinese practices being adopted. I always pretend I'm Chinese.

Nonsense, when it comes to music there is no limit. 16 year old nong Aung Ing a morlam singer got 4.7 million baht in one week two months ago in tips (mali). 

This is one million, the day before she got almost 4 million in tips

1723536256201.jpg

Edited by proton

16 hours ago, James9999 said:

I just assumed the band were paid. It was't the amount as such it was the fact I gave a 100 to band, but 10 members and 50 to the waitress. She said both should have been the same but I dont see why.

Because women are carp at math.

16 minutes ago, proton said:

Nonsense, when it comes to music there is no limit. 16 year old nong Aung Ing a morlam singer got 4.7 million baht in one week two months ago in tips (mali). 

This is one million, the day before she got almost 4 million in tips

Not from me.

1 minute ago, proton said:

Obviously, stingy foreigner. The old Thais don't tip myth is just that, they are some of the biggest tippers on the planet.

and what planet would that be :coffee1:

11 minutes ago, proton said:

Obviously, stingy foreigner. The old Thais don't tip myth is just that, they are some of the biggest tippers on the planet.

Not from the conditions of the restaurants I've seen.

I very much doubt Thais are among the biggest tippers on the planet. Americans yes, Thais, no.

I tip and would do as you did however if your girlfriend has given you some earache why didn’t she put her hand in her purse to balance out what she is not happy about. My view is you tip as you see fit.

15 minutes ago, Cameroni said:

Not from the conditions of the restaurants I've seen.

I very much doubt Thais are among the biggest tippers on the planet. Americans yes, Thais, no.

When did Americans last tip a 16 year old singer $133.500k dollars in a week? Americans think they are the biggest and best at everything.:sleep:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, RSD1 said:

I heard the female caddies in Thailand are great for rounding up your balls on the back nine. And I always get a hole in one when they are managing my gear. 

What's the par for the nineteenth? 

4 minutes ago, proton said:

When did Americans last tip a 16 year old singer $133.500k dollars in a week? Americans think they are the biggest and best at everything.:sleep:

Well, they made Taylor Swift a billionaire, which is bad enough.