What essential safe riding habits from back home could put you in danger in Thailand?

Basically as the title.

What are some things that are essential for safe riding back home that might get you in trouble in Thailand?

I've heard of things like obeying traffic signals or zebra crossings can get you read-ended (so have a real good look around).  What else?

Should you still stay in the centre of the lane unless overtaking?  Or should you just constantly lane split like Thais do?

Any tips for what you need to learn/unlearn would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Assume that every driver on the road woke up that day with the sole intention of seeking you out and unaliving you - take the appropriate action.

In my case, that means that any idea of western "defensive driving" technique is totally worthless and will result in your demise. 

Drive aggressively, take every opportunity to remove other driver's options to kill you. :coffee1:

Defensive driving is exactly what you need to do here to survive. They aren't looking to hurt you. They are just incompetent and don't look at life as a precious commodity like most westerners do. If it's going to happen, it will, and thinking that, you don't take precautions to ensure your safety.

I rarely see locals looking in the mirrors besides to put on makeup. I'm constantly looking at all of them while driving, either in a car or scooter, as you never know when someone will be coming up behind you and taking their eyes off the road to look at their phones and running into you. If you see them coming, you can take evasive actions.

They drive under the speed limit right on the line, not looking into their rear view mirror so they can see you want to pass, and move over. You pass them and see their eyes are still looking straight ahead,as if that's all that matters. The best rule here is to stay away from everyone else if at all possible, and to know they aren't paying much attention so be ready. There are some good drivers here as I've seen them, but they are in the small minority.

If you're in the right lane, and either going the speed limit or just over, they will pass you on your right, heading into oncoming traffic, instead of in the lane on your left, showing you they own the road and you should move over even if they haven't flashed their high beams. Risking not only their life but the lives of others instead of just passing you on the left.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems to me that locals "think" this is like a race circuit where nobody has any mirrors.

You look what is in front of you and you don't care what is behind you.

And people behind other riders and drivers know that that the person in front of them does never look into the mirrors to check the traffic behind.

Assuming that the person in front checks their mirrors is a big mistake.

I think everyone on the road doesn't know the basics of road safety and stay as far away as possible.

• Like 2

hand signals... left arm up turn right, left arm down turn left. there isnt a single thai that knows those... 

also right of way at either a roundabout or a T junction. i was taught that if you are on the main road you have right of way turning into the T junction. at the round about?  OMG!!! thais do whatever they want. they think that the one going fastest has right of way

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bbbb1952 said:

If a Thai driver flashes his head lights at you he is telling you not to move in the UK it means the opposite 

i think there is confusion everywhere in the world about that one... it can also mean get out of the way on a 2 way highway if someone is hogging the fast lane... for me, i very often use it at a u-turn if i think someone is going to cut me off and i think they wont hear my horn... at a round about i use it, with my window down and a hand signal, to indicate to the fools that they have right of way

another dangerous one for a car driver, that can  be dangerous to a car but specially a motorcycle is the 'dead zone' in the door mirror where a driver cannot see on his right, if driving on the right, unless he turns his head before making a maneuver. most thais rely solely on their mirrors and cant be bothere to turn and look... prolly the cause of a GREAT deal of accidents here

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

most thais rely solely on their mirrors

For what?.......as it certainly does not stop them from pulling out in front of me. I fully agree about them not turning and looking especially on bikes.

I have also noticed a lot of scooters recently without any mirrors at all......

2 minutes ago, swbaggies said:

Hazard lights on when approaching a soon to turn light, not that it does much.

Hazard lights should only be switched on when the vehicle stationary and is, in fact a hazard. That's why they're called 'hazard lights'.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Hazard lights should only be switched on when the vehicle stationary and is, in fact a hazard. That's why they're called 'hazard lights'.

Changed to suggest I would do the above here (I know not the correct usage), but would not at home.

When riding a 'big bike' in city/suburbs drive like it is a scooter - stay left and take it easy - they will force you over to get in front of you otherwise - they have no idea real bikes are not scooters. 

When riding a big bike on the highways, go faster than all others and stay in front and well away from them, and if not possible to get in front them stay back but remember that Somchai thinks you are a scooter and will force/expect you to move over to the left and get out of his way.

• Agree 2

55 minutes ago, harryviking said:

Rule no. 1 when starting to drive in Thailand. Forget everything you have learned! Start to observe what the Thais do, and do likewise! Thailand rules are "different"! 😆

Following that advice would increase the daily road deaths to 80

• Agree 1