Heroic Security Guard Stops Leicester Square Knife Attack: Two Injured in Horrific Incident

Social Media

image.png.1c3a7cad0c04749abc026d8e762d2147.png

A shocking and violent attack unfolded in London’s bustling Leicester Square, leaving an 11-year-old girl and her 34-year-old mother injured after a random stabbing. The incident occurred in broad daylight, in front of horrified workers and tourists, and was only brought to an end by the quick and brave actions of a local security guard.

Leicester Square stab victims were 'attacked by stranger': Police believe  mother, 34, and daughter, 11, didn't know knifeman who set upon them in  broad daylight before hero security guard leapt to their

The attacker, a 32-year-old man, who is not believed to have known his victims, was quickly subdued and disarmed by the security guard, Abdullah, who works at the TWG Tea shop located in Leicester Square. Abdullah, 29, described how he sprang into action after hearing a scream, witnessing the man stabbing the young girl. He immediately intervened, tackling the assailant and taking the knife from him while others helped hold the man down until the police arrived.

Shop security guard 'jumped on and disarmed' Leicester Square knifeman |  Central Fife Times

"I heard a scream," Abdullah recounted to the PA news agency. "I saw there was one person, roughly [in their] mid-30s or early 30s, and he was like stabbing a kid—I jumped on him, held the hand in which he was [carrying] a knife, and just put him down on the floor and just held him and took the knife away from him." Abdullah's quick response, along with the help of others, ensured that the attacker was restrained until police arrived on the scene, taking the man into custody within minutes.

The girl, who was reportedly grabbed and held in a headlock by the attacker before being stabbed, sustained serious injuries, particularly near her right eye. Despite the severity of her injuries, medical professionals have indicated that her condition is not life-threatening. Her mother also sustained minor injuries during the attack. Both victims were taken to the hospital by paramedics, where the girl continues to receive treatment.

Police officers at the scene

Eyewitness accounts paint a harrowing picture of the incident. Desmond, a 45-year-old street performer known for his Darth Vader costume, described the chilling moment he saw the attack. "When I looked to my side, I saw a young man... stabbing her several [times] with a knife," he said. "It was so terrible, I’ve never seen a thing like that. I was heartbroken; I saw the woman was screaming with all her strength."

Another witness, who preferred to remain anonymous, noted that the suspect had been seen earlier in the day, behaving erratically, "standing, doing nothing, eating and talking to himself."

A man is seen being arrested in Leicester Square, London, shortly after the attack.

The attacker, described as a white, skinny male wearing a black T-shirt and jeans, was quickly apprehended, and a police cordon was established around the scene, particularly around the entrance to the TWG Tea shop where the incident occurred.

Ezat Katerzis, a manager with the Toot buses tour company, described the suspect as appearing “mentally disturbed,” suggesting that the attack was unprovoked and possibly influenced by the assailant's mental state. “It looked like he had something missing. He just stabbed the girl out of the blue. She was with her family,” Katerzis told The Guardian. He detailed the aftermath, noting the blood pouring from the girl's face and speculated that she was likely a tourist based on her appearance.

Katerzis further described the attacker’s demeanor as disconnected and unresponsive, suggesting that he might have been under the influence of drugs. “I think the guy was mentally disturbed. He is only a skinny guy. He didn’t say anything when they arrested him and took him to the van. It was like he was on drugs or something. I don’t think it was a robbery. He just started stabbing her for no reason.”

Another witness, Joy Akan, who also works for Toot buses, captured footage of the suspect after his arrest. The video, timestamped at 11:41 am, shows a lightly built man in a black T-shirt featuring an Abbey Road logo, wearing black tracksuit trousers. The video has circulated widely, illustrating the chaotic and disturbing nature of the incident.

In response to the attack, DCS Christina Jessah, who oversees policing for Westminster, called the event a “horrific incident” and praised the bravery of those who intervened. "The members of the public, including staff from local businesses, who bravely intervened in this incident... showed the best of London in doing so,” she stated, underscoring the courage displayed by ordinary citizens in the face of violence.

As the Metropolitan Police continue their investigation, the focus remains on understanding the motive behind the attack and ensuring the safety of the public. The incident has shocked the local community and tourists alike, serving as a reminder of the unpredictability of such acts of violence. While the police have indicated that the attack is not being treated as terrorism-related, the urgency of the investigation reflects the serious nature of the crime and its impact on those involved.

Credit: The Guardian  2024-08-13

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

I watched  some of the interview it was very difficult understanding the situation !

Sub titles are appropriate and appreciated!

imop

Edited by riclag
  • Confused 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

It seemed remarkably clear to me. Abdullah saw the woman and child being attacked, went to their aid, disarmed the attacker and held him until the Police arrived.

He was the security guard, that is his job 

• Like 1
  • Confused 7
  • Sad 2

Sad that a Tea Shop has to have a security guard. Regardless, brave man for acting. Fortunately it appears the two victims will recover physically, unfortunately they will probably suffer mentally for many years if not for the rest of their lives.

Edited by DaLa
Missing word.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let me help you out.

A white guy was stabbing a young girl with a knife in the middle of Trafalgar square.

A young man called Abdullah, see photo above, was the right man, in the right place at the right time. 

While unarmed himself and with complete disregard for his own safety he tackled the knife wielding attacker, subdued him and took the knife from him.

His swift and selfless actions undoubtedly saved the girl’s life and perhaps the lives of others too.

Abdullah is very clearly a hero, don’t you agree?!

OK, Why is his Skin colour relevant ?

• Confused 1

Just now, Nick Carter icp said:

You wrote it and I was asking you why you wrote it , why is his skin colour relevant ?

No I didn’t write the article Nick, I summered it for a guy having difficulty understanding.

But, let’s put a pin in that objection you have to the mention of someone being white, well come back to it I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

But, let’s put a pin in that objection you have to the mention of someone being white, well come back to it I’m sure.

False accusation there .

I have not objecting to you pointing out his skin colour

I just asked you why you needed to mention  it 

Its just considered to be racist these days , if you use a persons skin colour to describe them 

• Confused 4