Thaksin Tells Pheu Thai to Abandon Digital Wallet Plan

now Thaksins fall guy has been removed he may cancel the 10,000 baht givaway. Perhaps now his daughter may be in the firing line he does not want risk a family  member.

Not one Thaksin supported prime minister has ever completed a full term because of legal objections. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, samtam said:

Surely the Digital Wallet scheme was exactly why Srettha was kicked out. The elites (quite rightly) deemed it an economically dangerous idea, with little or no benefit to the Thai economy or those who were eligible to receive it.

Elite did not like it as it was giving money to the poor.

3 hours ago, lordgrinz said:

B450 Billion would do a lot more good being spent on education, especially in poor areas. 

Potentially, but the education system has to be totally transformed for this money to be useful for education in Thailand.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, John Drake said:

Yes, that is a good point. Also medicine and that medical care which is otherwise delayed due to waiting periods.

You forget... that money was to be borrowed so they can give it to the people to help the economy. do you really think they will borrow the money to aid medicine and education? 

Education is on top in the budget for Thailand. So it is doubtful they would do anything to help it more. 

Wife just tells me it is in the Thai news online already that she is the new PM. I guess now we will see if the people will accept her and be blinded by how she got into this position cheating elections and side deals by her daddy. It it pretty obvious with this news article that Thaksin is the new leader via proxy his daughter. He is giving orders now. 

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

isnt one of taks_i_parole conditions not to dabble in politics?

That was stated a week or 2 ago in the news. He is not to do anything in politics or with the PTP as part of his parole. Hence his friendly get togethers that were not politically motivated yet, decisions were made the next day about the countries affairs suddenly. 

I recall Thaksin meeting Srettha the day before he appointed the criminal as a minister. 

Wife tells me that there is nothing Thais can do about Thaksins daughter either. If the Senators vote her in then she is legitimate. There is no proof Thaksin set this up so he could run the country through his daughter. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Significantly good?......20,000 baht next time maybe?

Wife just voted in, I guess, a local election of some sort. Picked up 800 B on the way to the polling station?????

Hope she voted for the one not paying bribes. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MikeandDow said:

This is the End of the PT party  Thai People have a long memory come voting time

Not all of them have. Let's hope enough do at the next election. 

2 hours ago, MarcelV said:

My Thai wife hates PT/Thaksin and everything they stand for. Unfortunately, being a civil servant, she also dislikes MF/PP as she is afraid they may cost her her job. She actually misses "Lung Tu" (Prayut), as I imagine many civil servants do.

800 baht would never be an incentive to go vote a certain way. Nor should it be.

My wife is in civil government and has hated Thaksin for years but she did support MFP.

5 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Wow, this just gets better and better.

Just blatantly thumbing their noses at the Thai populatiion.

Might not be!!!! Think about what could be behind it. He says this, but she does not stop it to win the hearts of the people!!!! Who knows😏😏😏😏

This is interesting, the digital wallet scheme was very much Srettha's baby and, although Thailand has been signed up to CRS for a decade or so, the decision to start taxing all foreign remittances into Thailand was made on Srettha's watch. Given his financial background, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was the one pushing it from within government. Now that he's history maybe the pressure on the TRD to try and crowbar a few satangs out of reluctant expats will hit the rails, too?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, lordgrinz said:

He seems to be in the hip pocket of the one we can't talk about, until that relationship sours, he isn't doing any time behind bars.

The pair of them need to be put on a new diet.

Wink.

4 hours ago, mokwit said:

Well, the "1 million baht for every village" partly manifested as contracts for concreting and tarmacing of muu baan roads.

Well, they have completely resurfaced and fixed the borders on our village main road.

My wife never expected to see the 10k anyhow.

I'm a bit confused.

When this digital wallet was proposed at the last election it seemed as if it might be a good idea in principle, although I wasn't sure how much effect it would have. I was a bit surprised after the election to find that not only was there no money for it but seemingly no plan on how to fund it. The election was in May last year, and presumably the proposal was put forward some time before that. Well over a year later the only thing achieved is subcommittees, which Thai politicians can create endlessly very quickly, but little else.

I can see Thaksin's reasons against it, although surely the fact the economy is struggling is why it was thought it was needed in the first place. But let's go with him on this, it's a bad idea and it should be dropped, which it most likely will be as he's the de facto leader of PT. De facto leaders seem very popular in Thailand right now. Since Thaksin was the de facto leader before, during and after the election, who came up with the idea for the digital wallet, and how come he didn't stop it at that time?

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

isnt one of taks_i_parole conditions not to dabble in politics?

He is not dabbling in politics, it is  his obedient daughter who is just doing what daddy tells her to do like all obedient children do

1 hour ago, kimamey said:

Since Thaksin was the de facto leader before, during and after the election, who came up with the idea for the digital wallet, and how come he didn't stop it at that time?

Plan B maybe. Have Sretta removed for failing to provide his election promise? Then place daughter in his position. 

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And to hell with what the people want.

If this doesn't gt a reaction from the population nothing will and Thailand will forever be under the the foot of the Shin clan.

Thailand has never really been under the control of the shin clan.  Since it started elections it has always been under the elite military control.  As long as shin did what they wanted they were happy to leave him.  Once he stepped out they slammed him down.

Make no mistake anutin has more power that paetong

9 hours ago, webfact said:

With the economy on shaky ground, he argued the timing was inappropriate for such an extensive expenditure

Look at that, the economy is shaky..., but stable enough for the submarine deal. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Time now to make visa issues less a bureaucratic nightmare for the quality foreigners and retirees and stop all the absurd hassles for translations, specific mentions of amount coverage in foreign health insurance certificates and stop all the 90 day reporting and other reporting at immigration when a house owner has friends or family come over to visit.

Time also to change the rules and allow all house owners on leasehold to be able to purchase at a reasonable rate the piece of land as to stop the leasehold scheme where a foreigner can never own his one piece of land. In fact any house or condo owner in Thailand either on freehold or lease hold, should get a visa waiver for 90 days.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Sigmund said:

Time now to make visa issues less a bureaucratic nightmare for the quality foreigners and retirees and stop all the absurd hassles for translations, specific mentions of amount coverage in foreign health insurance certificates and stop all the 90 day reporting and other reporting at immigration when a house owner has friends or family come over to visit.

Time also to change the rules and allow all house owners on leasehold to be able to purchase at a reasonable rate the piece of land as to stop the leasehold scheme where a foreigner can never own his one piece of land. In fact any house or condo owner in Thailand either on freehold or lease hold, should get a visa waiver for 90 days.

There are a lot of country's that carry out this " Time also to change the rules and allow all house owners on leasehold to be able to purchase at a reasonable rate the piece of land as to stop the leasehold scheme where a foreigner can never own his one piece of land." Main one i can think of is the UK lots of houses in the uk are built on church land and are leasehold and you cannot purchase the lease so what is the difference and for immigration i dont find it a nightmare just follow the rules