Zebra crossing drama: Pickup truck hits student outside school - video

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

It wasn't particularly massive, and he really should have slowed down rather than weaving around it at speed as he approached the crossing.

even a grain of sand has mass

or a proton

12 hours ago, Silencer said:

Certainly vision was blocked for a bit but it also looks as if pickup was driving a little fast. He almost stopped in time. Whether he was distracted on phone, not forgivable, is unknown. Also, although these are just kids, you need to tell your kids to keep looking at oncoming traffic here, you can't assume vehicles see you and will stop whether at a zebra crossing or even a red light. 

Educate Thai what a zebra crossing is. Educate Thai what a school is. Educate Thais to be more courteous while driving & not aggressive. How about police ticket people who don't follow traffic rules. Nothing to deter them for such terrible driving. Driving the wrong way in front of a police station & police officer without ramifications doesn't help either. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, jerrytr said:

Educate Thai what a zebra crossing is. Educate Thai what a school is. Educate Thais to be more courteous while driving & not aggressive. How about police ticket people who don't follow traffic rules. Nothing to deter them for such terrible driving. Driving the wrong way in front of a police station & police officer without ramifications doesn't help either. 

As I witnessed many times.

13 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

Yes, but only if you are a complete moron who shouldn't be in charge of anything more complicated than a shopping trolley.

2 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Time to install traffic lights or at least orange flashing Belisha beacons at all pedestrian crossings, as well as zig zag lines (no stopping zones) as done in the UK. 

In Bangkok, I often see songtaews stop actually on crossings and alighting passengers try to cross immediately with driver’s view blocked. 

Schools/local authorities could also appoint school crossing patrols with flags or signs to help kids cross the roads.

Doesn’t anyone care about their kids’ safety here?

Good points.

In Australia this subject is very serious, all zebra crossings 24 hrs a day. And at a very large % of crossings there's 24/7 HD cameras. Break the law and there's very serious punishments including jail.

At all schools even more strict. Before start time, lunch breaks, after school numerous crossing monitors (paid adults not school kids) with flags and drivers must obey the monitors. Plus HD cameras, break the law and there's even more serious punishments including jail. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

For the driver children were hidden behind truck doing u-turn.

1.png.caccae4ad8fe0684ae1a45d02d1cbe11.png

From his point of view they appeared in the middle of the road out of nowhere.

The guy had only this distance to react.

2.png.470904c7da39cae323867fd96b599134.png

And he almost managed to stop before the crosswalk. Stopping in the middle.

3.png.375fcbc998573f5dc34a6c20981ff2c4.png

I don't see a reason why so much hate against the guy. Acceptable reaction.

damn, fancy going out of your way and clipping photos to try and excuse that. 

As your IQ seems to be low, if you are coming up to zebra crossing, and your view is blocked, slow the <deleted> down to check no one is crossing 

• Confused 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

Typical mentality here. Its a freaking school zone! Slow TF down!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

I think I read all posts but I may have missed it......... I didn't see a single comment about the pedestrian crosswalks in front of all major shopping stores like Big C, Lotus, Makro, etc....

19 hours ago, AnotherOneHere said:

You must be joking with your analysis. The truck driver clearly had line of site of the children and if not speeding and lacking attention would have had sufficient time and distance to stop 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, jerrytr said:

Thanks for the clarification & suggestions.

I hope the pickup driver is pursued to the full extent of the law, the kids did nothing wrong.

In general, I think Thai pedestrians bear some responsibility for driver behaviour at pedestrian crossings.

Three times now I have stopped at the crossing to allow people at the other side to cross and they just stand there like rabbits caught in headlights.  Hooting my horn makes no difference they just wait for the traffic to stop, and of course it doesn't because they don't step out.

On 2 of those 3 occasions, I got so fed up waiting, I drove off.  On the last occasion I sounded my horn and they did take a step forward and the traffic stopped.

In the UK a pedestrian would be incensed if the traffic didn't stop.

As a pedestrian I make a point of checking that traffic can stop and then I step boldly onto the crossing, the cars and pickup trucks usually stop often having to brake hard because they can't believe someone just did that, the motorbikes never stop.

\

19 hours ago, Butts said:

Thai's need educating about Zebra crossings what they mean... Death Traps as we have and are seeing Cross the Road No Matter where in Thailand with Caution look in all 6 directions left right front rear up and down- No Stripped Painted Lines on the Road will compensate for low IQ's

If there is a zebra crossing you are a target in Thailand.  Just look eveywhere, and be very very careful there are no vehicles coming in your direction.

• Love It 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Screenshot-2024-08-16-103209-1.jpg

A careless pickup truck driver struck a student walking across a zebra crossing in front of a school, causing him to be thrown onto the road. This incident was captured on a TikTok video posted by user @boonlertkhunkham yesterday, August 15.

The video reveals the shocking accident that occurred on August 6. A group of students were standing by the roadside, preparing to cross the zebra crossing. As the road began to clear, an individual stepped forward to signal vehicles to stop, allowing the students to cross safely. However, a pickup truck approached the crossing at speed and collided with one of several students crossing, one of which was flung onto the road, sustaining injuries. The driver immediately braked and exited the vehicle to check on the injured student.

“I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. One moment the students were waiting to cross, and the next, a truck came out of nowhere and hit one of them.”

The careless driver’s actions following the accident were captured in the video. The driver appeared visibly shaken as they ran to assist the injured student. The clip, shared widely on TikTok, sparked a wave of reactions, with many viewers expressing their concern and outrage over the driver’s apparent lack of attention.

“This is a clear example of why it’s crucial for drivers to be vigilant around school zones. Children’s safety should always come first.”

Local police have since been involved, and an investigation is underway to determine the exact circumstances leading up to the accident. The driver of the pickup truck may face charges pending the investigation’s outcome. The incident has reignited discussions about road safety, particularly around schools, and the necessity for stricter enforcement of traffic laws to protect pedestrians.

“We need better measures to ensure the safety of our children. This could have been much worse, and it’s a wake-up call for everyone.”

The injured student is currently receiving medical care, and their condition is being closely monitored. The school has issued a statement expressing their concern and commitment to supporting the student and their family during this difficult time. They have also called for increased awareness and caution from all road users, reported KhaoSod.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

video capture TikTok @boonlertkhunkham

Source: The Thaiger 2024-08-16

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

Look at the seventh cone. The kid was hit with such force, that their belongings flew in a arc to the seventh cone.

Station police cars and bikes at school crossings. With speed cameras. Get them there, not sitting on their butts at a checkpoint.

Fine every driver, four wheels or two, that goes through them at more than 15 km/hr 2000 baht. Confiscate the vehicles of anyone who can't pay. Sell them if the money doesn't appear within a week.

IMO it would only take a month for the message to get through.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/17/2024 at 8:07 AM, Classic Ray said:

Time to install traffic lights or at least orange flashing Belisha beacons at all pedestrian crossings, as well as zig zag lines (no stopping zones) as done in the UK. 

In Bangkok, I often see songtaews stop actually on crossings and alighting passengers try to cross immediately with driver’s view blocked. 

Schools/local authorities could also appoint school crossing patrols with flags or signs to help kids cross the roads.

Doesn’t anyone care about their kids’ safety here?

No, and if you'll notice, there are many school buses, overcrowded, with up to 12 kids sitting on the TOP of the bus. If they cared, this wouldn't happen. Schools start and stop at certain times, and there are plenty of policemen in this country to take 30 minutes twice a day to monitor school crossings so the children are safely across. Enforcing laws , including speeding and using a phone in school areas, saves lives every year in the US. I do see some police at certain schools watching crossings, so it does happen, but it should be everywhere. Spending more money protecting their children instead of on military equipment they don't need is a start.

• Like 2

Well, near my daughters school all laws cease to exist. The following are ignored at will, and the police and school couldn't care less. Not to mention in the pedestrian crossing laws listed below, they are not only parked right up against, or inside (blocking) the pedestrian crossing, but illegally double parked, so you can't even see people trying to cross. I lost count of how many motorcycles have passed me over the SOLID yellow center line while stopped for pedestrians crossing in a Zebra crossing, so dangerous it boggles the mind what these imbeciles are doing. In my home state in the USA, they would be under arrest!

Road Traffic Act

Section 46. No driver shall overtake other conveyance in the following cases:
(2) within thirty meters before reaching a pedestrian crossing, junction, roundabout, man-made traffic island, or crossing railway road;

Section 57. Unless otherwise provided by the provisions, rule or regulation under this Act, no driver shall park the conveyance:
(1) on a pavement;
(3) at a junction or within the limit of ten meters from a junction;
(4) on a pedestrian crossing or within the limit of three meters from a
pedestrian crossing;