Is it just me: Or, have you made the decision to spend your money on Amazon?

5 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I DON'T THINK SO, I DON'T BUY MUCH

So then...

You are not a proponent of conspicuous consumption?

How unpatriotic of you!!!!

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

And yet... the butthurt you ooze living in Thailand and having to pay the respective shipping and import duties.

Mind Blown !

image.png.3f52b3b45b426d7c6f13db46f3378ec0.png

I only pay/spend what I can afford.

I never try to live beyond my means.

4 hours ago, pub2022 said:

You, and people like you, are destroying the local small economies (shops) all around the world, sending into disgrace hundreds of families in favour of multinational companies. Be ashamed of yourself.

OK.

I will do my best.

I've been ordering from Amazon for over a decade now.

Quite a bit on Lazada as well but mostly for cheap, throw-away stuff like cotton drawstring pants, Irish Spring soap (20/case), LED clocks, hoses and other cheap items, most of which are made/shipped from China.

If I want something that's better quality or unavailable on Lazada, then I look at Amazon. I order a lot of "sugar-free" powdered drink mixes (like Crystal Light) but it's considered a "food item" so I have to have it shipped to a "mail forwarding" company that gives me an selection of couriers and prices, slaps a Customs Declaration/Address Label on it and fires it off.

A much more expensive way to do things, even using their cheapest "it'll arrive eventually" shipping method.

But for other items Amazon is usually pretty good, especially as they will calculate the (estimated) Import duties and add that to your total when you make the purchase.

And the packages usually arrive just as fast as if you used a "priority" courier service like DHL/FedEx/USPS.
Except you don't have to go through the hassle of one of those couriers holding up your package so they can ding you will a couple thousand baht in "extra fees".

(Recently I made 2 separate orders for "food items" from Amazon. 6 small bottles of super nasty hot sauce (Blair's Mega and Ultra Death Sauces) in one order and 4 boxes of powdered drink mix in the other.
I did them separately so they'd be shipped separately and then could be "forwarded" separately as well. However, for some reason, Amazon consolidated the two orders into one box. It arrived at the "forwarding" company but it was now too heavy to use the "slow boat to China" shipping method so I was forced to use the next cheapest method which was FedEx.

Cost me frikken $80 US. Had I known what FedEx was going to do when it arrived in Bangkok, I wouldn't have shipped it at all.
After holding my package for 3 days, they contact me on a Friday afternoon to tell me I need to send them my passport (!?!?!?!) so they can "clear" the package through Customs. Alternately, I can go to Bangkok in person. Or - I can go to a Customs Office (anywhere) and "register" with them and then send a scan of the "registration card".
(FedEx sent me a "pre-filled" form to use which was handy.)

Monday was a holiday so the earliest I could go was Tuesday (to the Customs Office in Laem Chabang). Registration was easy (and free).
I sent the information to FedEx before noon.
They responded late Wednesday afternoon to inform me that "they" needed to "amend" the shipping Waybill and it would cost ME over 1400 baht and take two days !

What needed amendment ? The shipping label had my first and last name - but the "Registration Card" CUSTOMS gave me had my First, Middle and Last name.
So they had to "amend" the waybill to include my MIDDLE name - and charged me (1,428 baht) for it !!

In the end, I had to pay just over 3,000 baht to get my package delivered, including a 200 baht "Customs Overtime" charge, 400 baht "Clearance" charge, 150 baht "Storage" surcharge, 200 baht "Duty Handling" fee, plus 7% VAT on that.
And the actual "Duties and Taxes" for the package ? 
746 baht.

2,430 baht in "fees, charges and surcharges" for a package that was assessed 746 baht in Duties - on top of the $80 I'd already paid FedEx to ship it in the first place. :angry: :annoyed:

(They know they have you over a barrel and your only option, as you've already paid for the item(s) and shipping, is to "abandon" the package (refuse delivery) and lose the money you've already paid.
And even then - you are STILL liable to pay the Custom's Duties. But you'll have the peace of mind knowning that some FedEx employee(s) will get to keep and use your items - for free.)

But for items that Amazon will ship direct themselves, I've never had them held up for any reason or been charged any additional fees. In fact, I often get a small "refund" when it turns out the Duties were less than Amazon had calculated.

But watch out for the Shipping costs !!

I was going to order some out-of-print (used) paperback novels awhile ago. Most of them are in the $5-$10 range.
But the shipping cost for ONE book (and not a huge one either) was as much or more than the cost of the novel ! I tried different options and quantities and it just made it more expensive. Shipping 2 books together cost as much as shipping them separately, even though they were both coming from the same location.

I still use Amazon (and the mail forwarding company) but I'm a lot more careful about package sizes and quantities - and shipping costs.

On 8/16/2024 at 9:23 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Folks,

I am tired of spending my money at major stores where I do not get the good service offered by companies such as AMAZON.

So, yesterday was the camel that broke the straw's back.

From here on in....ANYTIME I possibly can....

I plan to spend my money making  purchases at major WORLD online companies such as Amazon.

There will be NO MORE shopping locally for me...other than at places for chicken breasts and tuna, and 5-egg omelettes.

This last experience of mine was just toooooo much.

I do not need the stress.

In future, even if it might cost a bit more....

I will do my best to shop AMAZON....or any other similar WESTERN Retailer that understands what the best retail experience is all about.

Life is just too short to deal with the short people at the major stores here.

Mind you, I still enjoy shopping for food at some great stores, such as TOPS, and LOTUS.....

I only mention them here because I have a lot which is quite positive to say about my long-time shopping experience with these major retailers.

But, as for the others....

They can smooch my nether-parts.....if you get my drift.

This is only my humble opinion, and I am not saying that my experience might be the same as yours.

One thing though:  Having come to this decision, I feel as if a Giant Albatross has been lifted from my shoulders.....

I can even, now, look forward to enjoying my shopping experiences, once again, almost stress free.

Why I did not make this decision earlier, is probably due to my ignorance concerning the lowered cost of air-freight, and the new policies of lower costs for freightage and delivery to my site.

I really did not know about the costs of delivery until just recently when I began to buy the components for a computer.

After going through the process, a few times, ordering components and having components delivered....ON TIME....

I finally realized that this was a better option for buying what I need, from overseas, delivered to my door.

Not sure if you guys have come to the same conclusion...

Or, if you guys still love talking to the girls at the local mall, so much, that you would consider doing....

Nothing Else?

If so...I feel for you.....

Best regards,

Gamma

Well, Amazon is only one of the big players. You tried Lazada, Shoppe or Temu already?😳

• Haha 1

Communicating effectively with someone from the East (Thai) can be challenging at times.  We use different words, different word order sometimes.  Additionally Thai Style, they build, and do jobs, logic, think differently sometimes.

Having a partner who is Thai helps a lot. 

Sometimes Thai people either do Not know and want to "Save Face" or they will only tell you part of the answer or solution leaving you to figure out the rest.

Do Not Get Angry, Saving Face, respect and living in Harmony are highly valued in Thailand 

On 8/24/2024 at 4:52 PM, GammaGlobulin said:

Today, I tried to buy a King Size (SERTA) mattress protector/cover from Amazon.

Really nice price.

And, I would be happy to pay for the freight cost, too.

I need a good one to protect from dust mites.

But, the TAX to deliver here in Thailand was 120 percent.

So, tax/duty on this was more than the total cost of the product and tax, in fact.

What are they thinking?

I am prepared to buy EVERYTHING from Amazon, in the future, simply due to relative lack of customer service from most retailers here.

I like to buy from TOPS and LOTUS, because I think that they give me good customer service, and after-sales service.

But, without naming names, some other stores are not up to this level.

Of course, now that JIB, at least at the JIB I frequent, has begun giving me great service, then I will have no qualms, in the future, about continuing to buy from JIB.  JIB has really upped their game, at least at the shop I go to.

I just wish that Amazon could think of a way to take over 80 percent of retailing here in Thailand.

Because, I think this would be a real help to local consumers.

Also, I bet Amazon could do very well here.

Of course, AMAZON was a total fail in China, even though it seems they tried hard.

Maybe their problem was that they chose the wrong guys with whom to cooperate....there in China.

Whoever was running the operation in China did not give it the old College TRY!

Try IKEA for your bedding requirements.

And be advised that duty is based on cost + freight, and VAT is based on cost + freight + duty. 

A $50 item that costs $50 to ship, if duty is 20%, than duty is $(50+50)0.2 =  $20

VAT is $(50+50+20)0.07 = $8.40

So the $50 item is $50+50+20+8.4= $128.40

And it is the same for the retailers that buy and resell, and for manufacturers that import components. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

Prefer to shop at the Malls  more interesting 

Much better visuals. However, our shrewdest members have avowed NEVER to buy those vastly overpriced genuine goods sold at malls, esp. when Thai markets sell cheap fakes. But they do pass through on occasion for the cheap food sold in food courts. 

7 hours ago, cracker1 said:

Try IKEA for your bedding requirements.

OK.

Once again...as I said...

I will give them a try.

Or, I will have my Chinese friends (CHINESE) help me from China, to send me good quality, and what I need.

Being Chinese, myself, at least I do consider myself to be 99.99 Percent Chinese after all these years..., I can always depend on them.

They are just SMARTER, as I have continually maintained....

And, I prefer China CULTURE....

Always have...

ALWAYS WILL....BIG TIME!

I wish I were back in China, or even Taiwan, sometimes.

At least, after 45 years of speaking nothing but Mandarin....

I can communicate.

Also, did I mention:

a. Chinese people are SMARTER.

b.  My Chinese friends....  LAO PENGYOU (old friends)... are more caring.... BIG TIME!

I am not saying that you might prefer a different culture...but just that....

I am NOT YOU....

And, I guess you will consider yourselves fortunate....

For not being me...

For me, it depends on what I’m trying to buy.  If it something I can buy locally and it’s easy to do so, then why not?  After all, with Amazon there can be a delivery fee and hefty taxes. On the other hand, some things on Amazon are delivered free and aren’t taxed. So if it’s something specific that I can’t find anywhere else, I’ll order it from Amazon. Click a few buttons and it’s on the way.

Another thing. Amazon isn’t foolproof.  Sometimes, you don’t get what you paid for.  Then what?  Send the item back?  

Edited by jas007

5 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Another thing. Amazon isn’t foolproof.  Sometimes, you do t get what you paid for.  Then what?  Send the item back?  

No.

Sending back is not a good option, for me at least.

Therefore, my best option is to just donate what I do not want to the local temple.

At least....this way...

I FEEL better!

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No.

Sending back is not a good option, for me at least.

Therefore, my best option is to just donate what I do not want to the local temple.

At least....this way...

I FEEL better!

That brings up another point.  If it’s not what you want and it didn’t cost much, sure. Just donate it.  But some things on Amazon are expensive.  For example, just today I was looking at a camera. Just the camera body, without the lens, was about $2198.00.  A lens could easily be another $600.  I’m not sure I’d order that from Amazon.

6 minutes ago, jas007 said:

That brings up another point.  If it’s not what you want and it didn’t cost much, sure. Just donate it.  But some things on Amazon are expensive.  For example, just today I was looking at a camera. Just the camera body, without the lens, was about $2198.00.  A lens could easily be another $600.  I’m not sure I’d order that from Amazon.

Yes.

I understand.

This is why I try not to buy such things when living in Thailand.

Maybe...FOR REAL.....

I will move to Japan, where I can buy a new NIKON...and NIKON lenses, etc.

When you buy stuff in Japan...

The experience is just so much better.

I am trying to think of some way to move to Japan...to spend the last years of my life.

Maybe even find a Japanese wife, for example.

I am too old for Thailand, these days, maybe...

I LOVE Japan.

And, I love China, too.

But, these days...I am also TOO OLD for China, in fact.

I first began living in Japan in the early 1970s....

And I loved it there.

The Japanese countryside is beautiful....

27 minutes ago, jas007 said:

Amazon will take international returns, though I have not had to return anything. 

Also, some/many brands have international warranties. 

I buy most of my things from Lazada.   I recently bought a very nice mattress cover from them for 900 baht.  It would have cost me 800 to wash my old one.  Returns to Lazada are a chore though and sometimes the retailer refuses them.. in a recent case, I got Lazada to refund the cost when the retailer wouldn’t do it.   It’s best to ALWAYS have the returned item picked up.  Drop off locations are not reliable.