Looking to buy a new SUV - any recommendations?

15 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Another content free micro-post I see

As a percentage of my posts, content free micro posts hardly register. In the case of that other poster, it’s about 99.8% (I thought I would be generous to deduct 0.1%).

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 10:36 AM, fezza said:

Morning All.

I'm moving back to Thailand with the family (and the dog!) in a couple of months time.  I'm looking to buy a new SUV in Bangkok when I arrive and drive it down to Phuket (with the dog/cage, 6 suitcases, 2 kids)

I'm looking for something comfortable as we often do road trips around Thailand.  My budget is around 2 million.  My first consideration is a Fortuner GR Sport 4WD.

In the past I've owned a Mitsubishi Triton, Ford Everest and a CX-5 Turbo here in Thailand.  All great cars.  

I can buy the car on a tourist visa, if I remember correctly, I'd just need a certificate of resident from immigration?  Unless things have changed?

I'm also hoping it would be possible to pre-arrange the car with the dealer from abroad (paying a deposit) then when I arrive, pay the final amount and drive away with the car.

Thanks in advance,
Fezza.

Not sure if it is within your budget but we bought a Ford Everest 8 years ago I have always been a Toyota man and my wife still has one,
We tried all the SUV’s and had been in Fortuners many times,

For us this was the best have driven it extensively it’s great on road holding bends hills etc which was a big seller for me also the rear seats fold completely flat into the floor another plus.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 12:52 PM, newbee2022 said:

It's a 3,2 l Diesel and the gear box got problems. Be careful😳

Had mine 8 years no problems met several people with same car no issues.

You can get a lemon in any brand even reliable Toyota.

• Agree 1

On 8/17/2024 at 10:36 AM, fezza said:

I'm looking to buy a new SUV

This one looks good, it's heading to Oz, doubt that it would come to Thailand. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/2025-gmc-yukon-full-australian-details-ahead-of-early-2025-debut-147164/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0Xuqfw0hZH1IT5WWlOjukKZ8OvFX_fEJfO1kEScMJsZR2Js_7ekkVvjMk_aem_g3BaJuxZP7pupeXfcGYPOw

29 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Try travelling North out of Chiang Mai I would be very anxious if I had an EV

I do head North out of Chiang Mai every 2 to 3 weeks.  

There are 3 fast DC charging stations on the 118 between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai.  In Chaing Rai there are lots.

There's another half way to Mae Sai and another 2 in Mae Sai.

What's the issue?

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Try travelling North out of Chiang Mai I would be very anxious if I had an EV

Heading far North or Northwest ... no anxiety here ...

and that's the very not all inclusive G maps :coffee1:

Better knowledge = less anxiety

Untitled.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Heading far North or Northwest ... no anxiety here ...

and that's the very not all inclusive G maps :coffee1:

Better knowledge = less anxiety

Untitled.png

It’s as I said, only non-EV owners have range anxiety.

Traveling from my home in CM to the border at Mae Sai, I wouldn’t need any charging stations.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

It’s as I said, only non-EV owners have range anxiety.

Traveling from my home in CM to the border at Mae Sai, I wouldn’t need any charging stations.

Only place I've seen so far, that might be iffy, is if going to the falls at Umphang.   Although I didn't check all the apps.   Of course, you could always find a guesthouse that would allow you to charge there overnight on your granny charger.

Northwest border down to Mae Sot via MHS, may take a bit of planning.  But the North is covered with enough.

NE surprisingly (just looked) has more than enough.  Along with the South.  I've been in some remote areas, and yet to have any issues, or 'need' to use guesthouse/hotel to charge.  I have once or twice, just for convenience.

That's just DC fast chargers we're talking about.  Doesn't include the slower 22w that a lot of malls, hotels and other vendors offer.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2024 at 11:30 PM, josephbloggs said:

Nonsense. BYD have been building ICEVs since 2005 and hybrids since 2009. 

Name few successful ICE cars made by BYD

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

Name few successful ICE cars made by BYD

Who cares? They build the best EVs in the world bar none. Having said that, the upcoming SEALION 6 PHEV seems like it will be a great success as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/20/2024 at 12:14 AM, Gweiloman said:

Thanks for this. So EV sales are down 12% while ICEV sales are down 25% for the same period. What this tells me is that:

1) auto sales are down (duh)

2) ICEV sales are down (as a percentage of cars sold) more than EVs 

3) EVs are slowly but surely becoming more popular than ICEVs

4) it will take a while before EVs outsell ICEVs but the trend is there. It used to be that x number of people out of 100 would buy an EV but the figure now is a number greater than x. Assuming that this trend continues, the day will come whereby x will be equal to or greater than 50. 
5) of course, even than, there will be more ICEVs otr (on the road) but as time goes on, the number of EVs otr will eventually overtake the number of ICEVs. 

In China, the number of pure EVs sold are getting very close to 50% of all sales. If I’m not mistaken, the number of EVs plus PHEVs already exceeds 50%. I look forward to the day that the foul smelling toxic fumes of a diesel engine are but a memory.

off topic

On 8/17/2024 at 9:39 AM, GarryP said:

What about a Ford Everest Titanium 2.0 bi-turbo? There are both 4x2 and 4x4 models.  More fuel efficient than the 3.0. 

As far as I know the 2.0 bi-turbo 4x4 is NOT a permanent 4WD i.e. only to be used on a soft surface.

My comment is based on the 2019 4x4 Ford Ranger that I have.
The current Ranger and Everest have the option of permanent 4x4.

Edited by D2Pipes
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2024 at 4:17 PM, josephbloggs said:

so I am not familiar with the models without Googling them.

So why are you passing such a comment with out having proper knowledge.

Byd is the worlds best electric car company not ICE car company.

You mentioned that they make successful ICE cars, so name them here rather than being a keyboard commando.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, DrJoy said:

So why are you passing such a comment with out having proper knowledge.

Byd is the worlds best electric car company not ICE car company.

You mentioned that they make successful ICE cars, so name them here rather than being a keyboard commando.

Well, aren't you the ray of sunshine!

• Love It 1

On 8/19/2024 at 12:22 PM, KhunLA said:

Irrelevant, as keeping out MG ZS till it dies, and long after I die.   Wife will keep till she dies, as no way will she be racking up the ksm in the 500k to 1M range, when I'm gone.

If the rest of the car can't keep up with the motors & battery, she gets 50kWh of battery for the Solar system.   At 50%, capacity, it's better the the value of a 20 yr old ICEV :cheesy:

We would have saved the price of a car, instead of spending the price of a car, just tO operate & maintain some dinosaur POS ICEV.

Spent practically nothing on our swift in 11 years. Changed the air cond evaporator for 5K and the usual things like batteries and tires...now if your battery dies out of warranty....enjoy paying 400-500K on replacing that 555

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

44 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Great ... a 'what if' situation.   It doesn't cost that now to replace the battery, let alone after an 8 yr warranty.  And the whole battery probably wouldn't need to be replaced, just the module not performing.  

Another 'what if' ... the car last even close to the almost 1M kms expected.  Oh crap, that's only 50 years of driving for us, what will do :cheesy:

A Swift, and an 11 yr old one.  My condolences :coffee1:

Jesus really now you can just change out a module on your ev? How abotu you contact MG and see if that is possible, I bet it is not!! As for my swift is way more fun to drive than any Chinese EV pos. Even my Chinese microwave doesn't work properly lol. 

Edited by DavisH
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, marino28 said:

At the moment the best suv is the Ford Everest in my opinion (pick-up based)

or the Honda Crv

CRV for a smaller vehicle; the Everest if one wants a larger vehicle. Those are good dinosaur choices LOL

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The MGZS, EP, and ES do have battery modules that can be changed, you don’t need to swap out the whole battery

I wouldn't waste my time, it's like trying to tell a child the world isn't flat.  Comparing an 11 yr old Swift to any EV  ... IGNORANCE IS BLISS

Not surprising his microwave is crap, since he can't pick a good car ether.  I peeked at Swifts, a bunch of cheap plastic interior, and didn't even bother with a test drive, as not something I'd want to sit in.

I'd take the Neta Vs over any JP badged entry level car 'made in TH'  And for 150-200k less price.

These trolls haven't a clue ... sad really.  Have hard time replying to their silliness  any more without saying something offensive.  

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 2

On 8/17/2024 at 12:42 PM, josephbloggs said:

Why not consider a Volvo?

Mostly because it's fantastically overpriced, considering the fact it's just a Volvo. It's an OK SUV, but at the end of the day, it's a Volvo. The price tag is almost comical. 

You can get a used Porsche SUV for the money Volvo is asking. Which would be a much better choice. 

Edited by Cameroni

7 hours ago, Cameroni said:

..... Volvo. The price tag is almost comical. 

You can get a used Porsche SUV for the money Volvo is asking. Which would be a much better choice. 

Volvo's are as good as all the other Chinese cars out there, IMHO they are overpriced.

I would never consider a used Porsche, the parts and servicing costs are ruinous.

On 8/17/2024 at 12:59 PM, fezza said:

Really?  Have they changed the rules?  Years ago I got one on Samui when I bought a motorbike...

I guess I'll have to come in on a spouse visa - I can get one then, right?

Not without a 90 day report in Bangkok. Given the problems you will face getting a CoR in Bangkok I'd be inclined to have your wife buy the car.  She can always transfer it to you later when you get settled.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

That's why I was suggesting a used Volvo. Top of the range low mileage XC90, 321 bhp for a decent price within the OP's budget.

Agree that in the current market new Volvos are overpriced, but they are great cars, great spec, not just an "OK" SUV. . A good second hand one with a warranty is worth considering. My XC 40 has a lovely interior, good responsive 2l turbo engine, Harmon / Kardon 13 speaker sound system and more safety tech than you can shake a stick at.

A year or so ago I was driving down Sukhumvit at night, I indicated to move to the right lane and immediately my car made warning noises, swung me back to the middle lane and told me it had avoided a collision. At the same time a motorbike went speeding down my right hand side with no lights on. The tech saved his life.

Two days ago I was stopped waiting to turn right. All of  a sudden the seatbelts pulled me and the other occupants tight, hazard lights went off, and parking brake was applied - it detected I was about to be rear ended - thankfully the car missed, but only just.

My friend spent way more on an Audi Q series. Better looking (especially on his 21 inch rims) but lacking in tech, inferior sound system, no self parking, no active safety to speak of.

Anyway, would I buy another Volvo today? No. Are they fantastic and well specced cars? Yes. Just that today you can get better value for money with the Chinese brands. I do love the EX30 but I wouldn't buy one for the money now. 

Totally agree, they are fantastic cars, well specced cars. It's just the pricing would put me off, since it's not just the purchase price, but also a review found that maintenance of a volvo was about 100 USD above normal rates. The Volvo now is overpriced and expensive to maintain. But yes, a good price for a used one is definitely worth a look.

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Volvo's are as good as all the other Chinese cars out there, IMHO they are overpriced.

I would never consider a used Porsche, the parts and servicing costs are ruinous.

I would say the Volvo is miles better than any Chinese car out there, but as you say fantastically overpriced.

And that's also for parts and servicing, just like the Porsche. Those costs are indeed ruinous.