Looking to buy a new SUV - any recommendations?

3 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

The Everest drives like a BMW

I sold a Taycan Turbo here last year. Superb car but not great value for money.

You're being very selective with your facts.  It's also true to say that .....

The EV share of new vehicles has increased every month in the last 6 months, and,

The ICE share of new vehicles has decreased every month in the last 6 months.

All the evidence suggests that Thailand is moving over to EV's.

I know the OP doesn't want an EV and I'm sure he has his reasons, but let's be transparent with our facts.

I do drive an EV, I charge at home and for people like me who do, the nearest charging station I would need would be 300km away.  If I lived in Phuket I would never need a charging station on the island.  It's not like petrol stations, we don't need them near our homes.

Looking at the above post gives the impression that no-one is buying ICE vehicles anymore

Department of Land Transport publishes registrations figures

What we do know is between 1st February 2024 to 31st July 2024 for the DLT category

R.Y. 1 Private passenger car with no more than 7 people which doesnt include all cars as there are many cars including EV's that come under different DLT categories

The Total number of registrations including ev's are 257,760 the number of ev's within that number are 28,651

https://web.dlt.go.th/statistics/

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, newnative said:

Mazda CX-8 might fit your needs--we sat in one and were impressed by how nice it was inside.  Spouse and I just booked a new BYD Sealion 6 SUV, a plug-in hybrid, which we were looking for.  Beautiful car, comfortable, and very nicely-equipped for a very reasonable price, less than 1MB.  But, Chinese and maybe a bit small for your needs. 

We wanted to buy another CR-V but were underwhelmed by it's supposedly 'new' but, in our opinion, very dated styling--should have been the 2020 model, not 2024.  And, no PHEV.   Plus, very pricey for the top model.  Good luck with your search.

I agree the Mazda CX8 is a fine car.

There is really no good reason not to test drive cars you're interested in.  Some are amazingly disappointing and some are a very pleasant place to be.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I'm beginning to think you're a last word freak Vinny.

You hoped that your selective posting and misleading posts would remain hidden and unoticed

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

You hoped that your selective posting and misleading posts would remain hidden and unoticed

I am not misleading anyone.  I stated the automarket this year is in recession.  I stated that the percentage of people choosing EV's over ICE increases every month. I stated about 1 in 7 or 8 people buying a new car here choose an EV.

What is misleading in there?

You on the other hand quoted that less EV's this year have been sold than last year, without clarification that suggests people are turning away from EV's and buying ICE instead when the opposite is true.

It's about what you leave out that is important.  Tell me, what did I leave out?

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I am not misleading anyone.  I stated the automarket this year is in recession.  I stated that the percentage of people choosing EV's over ICE increases every month. I stated about 1 in 7 or 8 people buying a new car here choose an EV.

You on the other hand quoted that less EV's this year have been sold than last year, without clarification that suggests people are turning away from EV's and buying ICE instead when the opposite is true.

It's about what you leave out that is important.  Tell me, what did I leave out?

Clearly Before EV's ICE had 100% market share and when Ev's started selling the 100% market share would be reduced

I stated that the number of EV sales dropped by 4,086 compared to the same period as last year majority of people alreadly know the reasons why automotive sales in Thailand are down this year

Did I suggest that people are turning away from EV's and buying ICE NO I didn't

and your post that suggests the opposite is happening people are buying EV's instead of ICE is clearly incorrect and the published figures from DLT show  257,760 people purchased ICE compared to  28,651 purchasing an EV

A whopping 229,109 people  chose ICE vehicles over an EV

And here is my original post which is factually correct

"I know EV sales are slighty down for the 6 months of this year February to July 2024 compared to the same period  in 2023 "

Edited by vinny41
add

1 minute ago, vinny41 said:

....your post that suggests the opposite is happening people are buying EV's instead of ICE is clearly incorrect and the published figures from DLT show  257,760 people purchased ICE compared to  28,651 purchasing an EV

A whopping 229,109 people  chose ICE vehicles over an EV

My post never said more people are buying EV than ICE.  

Look carefully at what I said.  My post said the percentage of people buying EV's over ICE has increased for every month of the last 6 months.  Conversely, the percentage of people buying ICE over EV has declined every month for the last 6 months.

I am not denying more people buy ICE, I even said 1 in 7 or 8 new cars are EV's now.  The obvious conclusion is that the other 7 out of every 8 new cars is an ICE.

What is important is that the market share for EV's out of all cars is an upward sloping graph, without a single dip in the last 6 months.

Honda closing a factory here, Suzuki & Subaru leaving the country.  All the while the Chinese are opening maybe as many as a dozen plants here.  The writing is on the wall Vinny.

I think a lot of people who buy an ICE car now are going to be kicking themselves in the future.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Reliability, longevity, few if any problems, it has got to be a Toyota....:intheclub:

I am looking in to buying an SUV when I finally sell my house in BKK. My shortlist is Ford Everest (not worried about resale), and Toyota Fortuner (not sure between Leader and Legender). I like that the specs for Ford are the same as in the west, unlike Toyota whose specs are much lower than in Europe for the same model.   

49 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

23 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My post never said more people are buying EV than ICE.  

Look carefully at what I said.  My post said the percentage of people buying EV's over ICE has increased for every month of the last 6 months.  Conversely, the percentage of people buying ICE over EV has declined every month for the last 6 months.

I am not denying more people buy ICE, I even said 1 in 7 or 8 new cars are EV's now.  The obvious conclusion is that the other 7 out of every 8 new cars is an ICE.

What is important is that the market share for EV's out of all cars is an upward sloping graph, without a single dip in the last 6 months.

Honda closing a factory here, Suzuki & Subaru leaving the country.  All the while the Chinese are opening maybe as many as a dozen plants here.  The writing is on the wall Vinny.

I think a lot of people who buy an ICE car now are going to be kicking themselves in the future.

you posted

" that suggests people are turning away from EV's and buying ICE instead when the opposite is true."

which is incorrect as the DLT stats prove otherwise

As for people buying an ICE car now going to be kicking themselves in the future. we will have to wait and see 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

you posted

" that suggests people are turning away from EV's and buying ICE instead when the opposite is true."

which is incorrect as the DLT stats prove otherwise

As for people buying an ICE car now going to be kicking themselves in the future. we will have to wait and see 

No you are wrong.  People are turning away from ICE and buying EV's.

Further, the percentage that do that increases every month.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

You and @Yellowtail really need to get over yourselves, put your MAGA hats down and chill.

It is a thread asking for personal experiences and recommendations for a car. People who own cars are giving their thoughts, EV or non EV (and EV owners have suggested, shock horror, non EV cars as well as EVs). That's it. Like I said, pipe down and let people share as it is all useful info for the OP, you are not the arbiter of what experiences should be shared.

So it’s  anti-Trump EV brigade to the rescue!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I agree the Mazda CX8 is a fine car.

There is really no good reason not to test drive cars you're interested in.  Some are amazingly disappointing and some are a very pleasant place to be.

It just seems to be big...for the sake of being big......too much like the CX5.

I drove a CX-8 for a month in the US as a rental, and it was very nice. It seems much bigger inside than the CX-5 to me. 

That said, I think it is being replaced by the CX-80 if it has not already. 

Just now, josephbloggs said:

You are posting out of ignorance. Telling someone to "stay away from EVs" when you have no experience of them and they might suit him, or maybe they don't, but that's up to him. Then posting rubbish about it being worth half the price of a Toyota.

If someone comes for advice and you post nonsense it is not helping him is it. It is the worst thing about this forum, the same people always need to ruin good helpful threads.

We know you hate EVs based on no logic, experience or reason. We get it, that's fine. We all know already. I like ICEVs too, I love engines. I also like tech and efficiency and I have an open mind, unlike you.  Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Just don't pollute every single thread with your uninformed blinkered nonsense.

Oh, guesswork and nonsense, but not surprised....😁

So a guy asks a question, I give my opinion, then you butt in slagging off because you have an EV......😂

Now Joseph, grow up, the forum does NOT revolve around you, and you transport decisions...:guitar:

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

That was your post. Show me where a second hand EV is selling for half the price of an equivalent ICEV then.

An opinion is fine as long as it informed. Yours wasn't, it was based on nothing and was untrue, hence my need to call it out.

And you don't keep up do you - I have stated many times I don't own an EV, never have.

Yes it does.

Oooh, so you are informed and others aren't, who-da-thought..

Get off your high horse, don't tell others what they can do or not do, makes you look silly......:coffee1:

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, fezza said:

I was looking at the Honda CR-V e-HEV RS 4WD.

Of all the options discussed, your idea of this make / model is the best in my view.

I had a top-of-the-range CRV at my Koh Samui home for 2 years (2018-2020), drove it all over Thailand, and was mightily impressed with it.  Performance, road holding,  comfort, build quality and equipment were first class.  I sold it to a Samui friend in 2020 (I bought a John Copper Works Mini Countryman to replace it), and he enjoyed it big time too.  He just traded it in for the CRV model you are considering, and he is over the moon with it.  I've driven with him in it, and I concur.  A huge step up from what was already a great car.  

I have another friend in Bangkok who owned a CRV for over ten years, and then 18 months ago bought a new one, having spent almost nothing on the original (which his son is still driving!).

Reliability is a huge plus for Honda, and resale value in TH too (ditto of course for Toyota, but the Fortuner -- which I have also owned both in Singapore and Thailand -- will always be a truck-based model)

Unless you regularly travel with the dog / cage, 2 kids, 6 suitcases (which even the truck-based SUVs might be challenged by), I would 100% go with the Honda CR-V e-HEV RS 4WD

Good luck with your choice!