Immigration and the New Government

5 hours ago, Artisi said:

"Shock Resignation", thought we was kicked out to make room for another Thaksin clone?

I'm guessing he 'Resigned' rather than being sacked, that way he can keep any pension due to him. ..........:coffee1:

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

Thaksin, since you'll be running the government ... please reform the Marriage Visa. I've been here for 40 years (38 years married to a Thai) and I still have to renew the visa annually. The process at Imm. takes an hour each year as the same information as last year has to be typed into a computer while the Officer is interrupted many times, and this usually spreads over their lunch hour so I have to wait an hour extra. Then the Imm. Police come to my home and ask for some of the same information and take the same photographs I have provided before asking the neighbours if we live in the house. Then we have to wait a month for approval, which we drive an hour to get from the provincial Imm. office. The system is making you and your fellows look like idiots.

Couldn't agree more, with all those copies needed, what bugs me the most is once they have my 26+ copies I then see them scanning them into a computer, they could just scan them direct from the originals, at my IO I must take our witness along too, (and she must be present at home visit) which means I have to pay her a days lost wages + lunch, and drag her along for hours to gather all my KOR 2, Copies/bank cr@p , get our photos printed 6x2 , have a new one of me, must be dated the same day, we live on KC so the cost of 3 returns on the ferry+car, and then they take the desk photo, then back again to get the stamp. Then the cheeky IO says oh why not do retire 'visa' marriage to much work, I then point out, Politely  "well don't blame me it's your rules not mine"  "Don't get angry" she says,..................... :post-4641-1156694572:

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, renaissanc said:

takes an hour each year as the same information as last year has to be typed into a computer while the Officer is interrupted many times,

Mine was watching whatever on her phone..........:annoyed:

4 hours ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

The "obvious solution"? Not only are there plenty of genuine tourists who enter a lot more than one or two times a year (seriously - wtf?). This sounds more like the usual drivel from expats who hate expats than actual news - has anyone in government actually mentioned ANY of these ideas of how to limit the visas? Yeah didn't think so - the whole point of allowing 60 day entries and the DTV is because they want MORE foreigners (money), not less.

Yes, I do think 5 years without any checks whatsoever afterwards is excessive not to mention an insult to anyone who purchased Elite recently, but let them decide what they want to do with it before we start suggesting any draconian changes.

Yes I think its just the ranting of an angry expat who doesn't like seeing more foreigners come into the country due to easier entry pathways. 

No one suggested that visa free entries are unlimited. As always, it's at the discretion of the immigration officer. 

Aranyaprathet immigration still routinely denies legitimate tourists entry into the country on their second entry following a stay in Cambodia for a few days. Other entry points will now also scrutinize arrivals but probably not as strictly. Still, if someone comes in for the 3rd or 4th consecutive time with no visa and no time spent outside the Kingdom, then it won't look good (same as is already done at most airports).

As for the DTV, it might be tweaked eventually but it was the new PM herself who is the "soft power" queen. Therefore, given its the same political party in power, to suggest she would scrap this visa or make it much more restrictive as a matter of urgency is pure fairy tales on the part of the writer.

Immigration tends to transcend governments; they continue where the old one left off. 

Edited by Tomtomtom69

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

Why would there be any changes? It's the same people, same coalition. The only "major" change is the front puppet

Exactly my thoughts. It's not like the political party is changing. Not to mention the PM herself is the one who has been promoting Thai "soft power". 

Why then would she scrap the DTV visa or greatly amend it?

It might be amended eventually but not this soon and not as a matter of urgency.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When was the last time we have seen any investigative reporting in Thailand? What you said was the understatement of the decade. Total complicity and cooperation. 

Right. Investigative reporting seems to be dead everywhere in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JimboB4 said:

Not exactly a shock I told you this was going to happen from day one. I knew he was going to be gone the second he said something bad about weed after all the great things it’s doing for Thailand, health, and the economy. Sounds like new government might be good news. 

Thaksin hates drugs. Just saying!

16 minutes ago, SouthThailand said:

Requirements for you to get an extension. 

They make the rules, you have to follow.

If you do not like the rules, don't play the game. Find a better option.

I do follow their rules, but they are complaining to me about how much work it is for them. So Please enlighten me to a better option, I have no intension of locking up 800k a year, and 100% I will not use an agent.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Thaksin, since you'll be running the government ... please reform the Marriage Visa. I've been here for 40 years (38 years married to a Thai) and I still have to renew the visa annually. The process at Imm. takes an hour each year as the same information as last year has to be typed into a computer while the Officer is interrupted many times, and this usually spreads over their lunch hour so I have to wait an hour extra. Then the Imm. Police come to my home and ask for some of the same information and take the same photographs I have provided before asking the neighbours if we live in the house. Then we have to wait a month for approval, which we drive an hour to get from the provincial Imm. office. The system is making you and your fellows look like idiots.

And in all these 4 decades you couldn't be bothered to get immigrant status? A Permanent Residency or Citizenship?

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Any changes will happen with minimal notice usually 3-5 days before becoming law, as usual.

We are after all still waiting for clarification of the tax situation which was announced at the end of last year and only 4.5 months left until the end of this one.

The new visa rules, like most Thai pronouncements are never thought through properly.

I am still waiting for the implementation of the government issued SIM card for all arriving tourists announced years ago.

The brains behind that one didn’t think that once you left the airport you could replace it with your own.

1 hour ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Why? The EU countries permit it on application. After 5 years of lawful residence, including as a taxpayer and annual renewals to that point you have proved yourself and your commitment and can apply without further checks for permanent residency which expires only if you leave and don't return to the country that grants it for 5 years. You have to update your residency card if you move address or after 10 years. You are included in that state's healthcare and social security systems, approval to work, never 90 day reports. 

Yes and we have seen what mass unfettered immigration has done to many EU countries and the UK

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, SouthThailand said:

Only one hour a year.

Not bad at all.

You can rest for another year after this one hour of hard work.

"Only one hour"

Which magic immigration centre do you go to? 😄 Sure as hell isn't Nonthaburi.  I loved them sifting through my wardrobe when the came to check me at my home. 

I agree with original poster,  Just take a holiday every couple of months.

Edited by leeedwards
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Obama runs America and Taskin runs Thailand. There is no democracy in either country. 

You are correct for the time being, however Obama's "use by " date will soon expire (Jan. 20 2025), and Barry Sotero will wind up as a footnote in American history and democracy will be restored to America, whereas the Shinawatra family through Pheu Thai party will be in control of Thailand for the foreseeable future, at least until the next military coup de tat.

3 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Obama runs America and Taskin runs Thailand. There is no democracy in either country. 

You are correct for the time being, however Obama's "use by " date will soon expire (Jan. 20 2025), and Barry Sotero will wind up as a footnote in American history and democracy will be restored to America, whereas the Shinawatra family through Pheu Thai party will be in control of Thailand for the foreseeable future, at least until the next military coup de tat.

I have removed some comments breaking forum rules.

Reminder rule 17. ASEAN NOW news team collects news articles from various recognised and reputable news sources. The articles  may be consolidated from different sources and rewritten with AI assistance These news items are shared in our  forums for members to stay informed and engaged. Our dedicated news team puts in the effort to deliver quality content, and we ask for your respect in return. Any disrespectful comments about our news articles or the content itself, such as calling it "clickbait" or “slow news day”, and criticising grammatical errors, will not be tolerated and appropriate action will be taken. Please note that republished articles may contain errors or opinions that do not reflect the views of ASEAN NOW.

If you'd like to help us, and you see an error with an article, then please use the report function so that we can attend to it promptly.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

When challenged about multiple admissions, the foreign affairs ministry spokesman said that, of course, all entries to Thailand were subject to the discretion of the immigration officer.

Ludicrous statement..........all entries to Thailand must be subject to the policies laid down by the Thai government......not the vagaries of an individual immigration officer.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, renaissanc said:

Thaksin, since you'll be running the government ... please reform the Marriage Visa. I've been here for 40 years (38 years married to a Thai) and I still have to renew the visa annually.

Hardly a novel sentiment, but on the money. I have never understood why the "marriage visa" (non-o) extension is so filled with challenges - and with frankly insulting processes for the Thai wife - the Thai citizen. My wife undergoes the annual ritual humiliation at IO with barely concealed contempt (for the IOs, that is!) - although the home visit, if needed, has always been much more civilised.

When she talks to her friends about the process, they are always shocked at how police make it so difficult for respectable married women, as if all Thai ladies were bargirls (the clear implication. Anyone still here from 40 years ago would be aware of how locals used to regard any Thai girl walking with a farang and in some ways that has not changed).

I am just now changing extension to retirement for just this reason - I am sick and tired of IOs demeaning my wife regardless of our papers to show how long we have been together. We'll see how it goes, although in some weird way I shall miss the home-visit guys saying cheerfully after turning down a cuppa "All good - see you next year."

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

And in all these 4 decades you couldn't be bothered to get immigrant status? A Permanent Residency or Citizenship?

PR takes years and is never certain - a respectable friend of mine, good job with Thai comnpany, here 25+ years, took about 20 years to get it. No, I won't "bother".

Regardless of the latest government change, I never believed that Immigration was going to allow people to just bounce in and out of the country every 60-90 days for an indefinite period.  It was just wishful thinking.   

6 hours ago, blazes said:

He "resigned" in the same way that Biden resigned.  Except that Biden still has his finger on  the nuclear red button.....

Do you really believe that there is a 'red button' that  only the president has access to (via a briefcase handcuffed to a  constantly present security guard)???
Ha ha. 
A whole committee would be involved.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, isaanistical said:

PR takes years and is never certain - a respectable friend of mine, good job with Thai comnpany, here 25+ years, took about 20 years to get it. No, I won't "bother".

If you do nothing to improve your immigration status, you cannot complain about anything they throw at you. And if you want to stay non-immigrant (basically long term tourist), then stop complaining about it if they tighten the rules further. It's not about what government does. It's about your decisions.

• Sad 3