50,000 baht request from Thai long time friend.

55 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Not sure what your "friend's" financial situation is, but if I had a longtime friend that was left penniless when her a-hole husband died, and she wanted to borrow B50K, I would just gift her the money. 

That said, if I were living hand to mouth, I would just give her what I could. 

Never loan friends money. 

Agree 100%! Definitely the best advice here.

20 minutes ago, MalcolmB said:

A friend in need is a pest indeed.

As usual, unthought comments with a lot of slur. I little bit like the pest you are referring to.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, petermik said:

You lend money to a friend and you don`t get it back you have lost your money and your friend....do not do it :thumbsup:

The woman is not really a friend, she is an acquaintance. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My wife just got back from the ceremony up north, and it was her that told me about the loan, that she would ask me for, I have told her you can tell her No, hopefully that is the last I'll hear about it. 🤞🏻

Yeah, if she's not enough of a friend that you would to go to her husband's funeral, don't loan her any money. 

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, if she's not enough of a friend to go to her husband's funeral, don't loan her any money. 

Who said she didn't go ?  Edit; She also is one of my wife's best friends.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Who said she didn't go ?

I meant you.

Is the woman your friend, or your wife's friend? 

I edited my post to make it clearer. 

Edited by Yellowtail
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Well they didn't donate hence her request. He was popular with his customers as an agent but that is it.

That's highly unlikely that no one donated. Maybe not the full amount but seems part of this story detail is missing

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I meant you.

Is the woman your friend, or your wife's friend? 

I did not like the bloke nor did I want a 6 hr. hour journey to go up north for his cremation, my wife had to make her own way back on public transport. I gave my wife 2k for the trip.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Dan O said:

That's highly unlikely that no one donated. Maybe not the full amount but seems part of this story detail is missing

OK I should have said they didn't donate much, there apparently was only 2 falang there (aka Customers of his agent services) the rest were poor Thai family of hers.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I did not like the bloke nor did I want a 6 hr. hour journey to go up north for his cremation, my wife had to make her own way back on public transport. I gave my wife 2k for the trip.

Is the woman your friend or your wife's friend? 

If I were in the same situation, and if it was my wife's friend, I would tell my wife that she could give her friend the money if she wanted to, but that she would likely not get the money back, and that if she wanted to tell the woman I said no, I don't care. 

9 minutes ago, Dan O said:

seems part of this story detail is missing

There is one part missing, my disabled friend that needed his 'services' for a visa (long story) who lived nearby and was cremated at our local Temple, he did not come "I only met him once" he was living 1 km away , yet 5 other falang came to give me moral support,  even though they hardly knew him, a couple had never met him, as with the Thais that came because he was a friend of my wife. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Probate has gone through, any money I give away now, would be less for her, on my demise and less for my hospital bills. She deservers my money more than some Agents wife IMO.

I thought you said it was a friend of yours that had been asked for the loan..

Edited by lom
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Is the woman your friend or your wife's friend? 

If I were in the same situation, and if it was my wife's friend, I would tell my wife that she could give her friend the money if she wanted to, but that she would likely not get the money back, and that if she wanted to tell the woman I said no, I don't care. 

Yep I must confess my friend, no point in upsetting my wife that's like shooting the messenger, plus I know she doesn't have that kind of money.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, lom said:

I thought you said it was a friend of yours that had been asked for the loan..

Yes I wanted to keep it in the 3rd person but hey it's out there now, maybe members here that knew him and said they were his friend can go 'donate' to her fund.

I personally would refuse. Though if you really want to help, but reduce any possible loss, say you can’t afford what she is asking and offer to lend her a smaller amount.

Your friend should give nothing, he didn't even like the guy.

If she was daft enough to get involved with an overweight, selfish, drunken lush, then it's her problem, not your friends.

There is no such thing as borrow to Thais, as soon as you bail them out of their predicament, they've forgotten you.

If you remind them they owe you money, they get angry at you having the cheek to ask for it back, what is rightfully yours.

YOUR FRIEND IS NOT THEIR BANKER.

Thais will always try the easiest route to get money, and in this instance, that is your mate.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Agree 1

From what I have seen they organise all the wake and cremation etc and then after people attending at the home or temple before the cremation day usually contribute whatever they wish in an envelope. This is then used to pay most or all of the cost . Everything is organised on either a small deposit for main things  or good faith if they know the person.

Also I'm sure the insurance companies usually pay out around 10% of any policy for covering the service expenses. They then pay out the remaining policy amount either shortly after the cremation or in some cases it can take up to 6 months.