Rogue Cat.

I have 5 cats and have had to build a place to keep them safe as there is a cat which comes regularly to my property and attacks them. This has been going on for a couple of months now. My cats have lost their freedom.

I know I could easily poison it, but I don't want to cause any suffering. Anyone know what else I can do?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have 5 cats and have had to build a place to keep them safe as there is a cat which comes regularly to my property and attacks them. This has been going on for a couple of months now. My cats have lost their freedom.

I know I could easily poison it, but I don't want to cause any suffering. Anyone know what else I can do?

A quick whack with a spade or similar should do the job, without poison or suffering.

9 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I've always trapped cats that attack our two cats.  They are taken to the local animal shelter. 

Edited by Hawaiian

... same problem here & happened repeatedly over the years with different male cats from the hood - landlady calls em MAFIA, lol ... some injuries became serious & needed costly medical attention ... pissed me off significantly & I so far took appropriate care of 2 of these <deleted> - as one does with mafia.

Other than that you can only chase them off your turf on any possible occasion, get yourself a slingshot ...

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

A quick whack with a spade or similar should do the job, without poison or suffering.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Hire someone to capture it in a live trap and transport it 60 km from where you live.

That 'wild cat' might just be someone else's pet! 

Why not just leave the cats to get on with their lives? They have their own ways of sorting out their issues and only rarely do they harm each other.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I have only one so I try to keep it inside at nighttime, with 5 it can be problematic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

I've always trapped cats that attack our two cats.  They are taken to the local animal shelter. 

I live in a small town/village and don't have an animal shelter. Any advice on how to trap the cat?

55 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I cannot get near it to do that, it keeps running away every time someone appears.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I live in a small town/village and don't have an animal shelter. Any advice on how to trap the cat?

If you can't buy a small wire cage trap with a trip plate, trying making one yourself or pay someone to make one.  Make sure the bait is at the end  farthest from the entry.  As other have suggested drop off the cat miles away. 

Try an online search for what an appropriate trap looks like and how it works.  Good luck.

Another alternative is a pellet gun.  I bought one to shoot mongooses which were attacking our baby chicks. 

Edited by Hawaiian

One thing you might do and I'm pretty sure no one would mind, is trap it and bring it to the Vet to be neutered. This will lessen it's aggression measurably and it will probably just stay away because it's desire will be gone. You obviously like cats so hurting it isn't in your thinking. It's just being a cat, and most animals here should be fixed anyway as most people don't care about them .

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

If you can't buy a small wire cage trap with a trip plate, trying making one yourself or pay someone to make one.  Make sure the bait is at the end  farthest from the entry.  As other have suggested drop off the cat miles away. 

Try an online search for what an appropriate trap looks like and how it works.  Good luck.

Another alternative is a pellet gun.  I bought one to shoot mongooses which were attacking our baby chicks. 

Yes a pellet gun. Have to wait till I go to the shopping centre which is about 50K away.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

One thing you might do and I'm pretty sure no one would mind, is trap it and bring it to the Vet to be neutered. This will lessen it's aggression measurably and it will probably just stay away because it's desire will be gone. You obviously like cats so hurting it isn't in your thinking. It's just being a cat, and most animals here should be fixed anyway as most people don't care about them .

The cats are 4 females which are neutered and the other is a male, the rogue cat is a stray which I think comes looking for food. It has even got into the house a few times.

1 hour ago, NoshowJones said:

The cats are 4 females which are neutered and the other is a male, the rogue cat is a stray which I think comes looking for food. It has even got into the house a few times.

You keep saying its a 'rouge cat' and 'stray'.  It probably isn't anything of the kind.  Cats are very territorial and guard their territory against intruding cats. My cat in UK was a gentle lovely cat, but he went nuts if other cats entered his garden.  Its just natural behavior and often as not, we have to live with the natural behavior of wild animals. Sorry to say it, but the cat sees you and your cats as the intruders, not itself. They don't trend to check the human invented legal  ownership of properties and land.  The cat is just being itself. 

On 8/20/2024 at 12:30 PM, connda said:

Hire someone to capture it in a live trap and transport it 60 km from where you live.

…to a place where it can fight with jungle cats.

We have a rogue, feral cat in our garden....lives under the veranda.....we also have a mental 30kg English Bull Terrier.....so the cat doesn't seem to cause us many problems...???

image.thumb.png.7571cf76c117b58b3ccafb06bd512cef.png 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, novacova said:

…to a place where it can fight with jungle cats.

I am the only farang here and the wife does not know anyone who could do that.

On 8/19/2024 at 10:19 PM, NoshowJones said: