Oh Beloved Bangkok, How So You Have Changed...

I arrived back recently from promised land of milk and honey and I was terrified: they eat pork and some snake-like fish in Bangkok! 

Indeed just spent couple of years away I was terrified: how could I live here for almost 25 years? Small things I never paid attention now drive me nuts, prices for food doubled and even tripled., filth'n'dirt almost everywhere... but 

For some idiotic reason I still feel that "home sweet home" when I'm here. Weird? Indeed!

Bangkok-Slums.Jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, expat_4_life said:

However on the food end, all the rapid development has forced many food options to relocate to malls.  Street vendors no longer exist anywhere near me and many small venues (food and entertainment) have been replaced by gentrification.  Condos, commercial properties and hotels have taken their place. 

I get most of my food delivered in boxes twice a week by a prepared meal delivery service. They drop them off for me in the lobby and I just throw them in the fridge. Then I reheat them for 2 minutes in the microwave whenever I want to eat them. Food is fresh and delicious, cleaner than restaurant or street food, and I still don't have to do any cooking myself. Just buy a few drinks and fresh salad stuff at 7-11 as I head back home. The meal delivery service model been another major life changer for me in Bangkok and I rarely deal with markets, malls, or supermarkets for food anymore. 

Edited by HugoFastor
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Love It 1

8 minutes ago, HugoFastor said:

For me this works the best. It's convenient, I eat well, and I'm happy. 

Ok glad you are happy

(that's really all that matters in the whole scheme of things)

best of luck to you.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

It has changed dramatically as you said, some of it's good, some of it not so good. I still really enjoy spending time in Bangkok, but due to the traffic, the population, and the air quality I'm thrilled that I don't have to live there. The changes in public transportation have been a fantastic improvement. 

I would never want to go there for more than a week at a time, but that one week, or even a few days can be alot of fun. I remember back in the days, during my first trip to Thailand in 1976, I don't think there was a single building over 10 stories tall. I remember things like Clinton Plaza, and how much fun Patpong was back in the day, and things like that.

But the reality is that everything has changed, everything about the world has changed, nothing is the same, we're not the same and nothing else is the same. So it's kind of a crazy to expect sameness anywhere. It doesn't exist. 

You are almost correct...1976 the tallest buildings over 6 stories were the CHOKCHAI blkd on Sukumvit and the Dusit Thani hotel and then in the late 70's they  started to let some other bldgs grow.  Standing on the roof of the US embassy in those days one could look out over the entire city as most were only 2 stories high and I think the embassy was 3 stories  but not positive.  Of course that has jumped to the other side of Wireless Road and is much higher these days and a solid fortress.

I remember how bad the traffic was in those days, and especially during the rainy season, where some youngsters would have a small boat at major intersections to row people from one side to the other.  Now it still floods  but waters do flow  away down more better drainage in many places.  The big thing  I really see and that has a big impact on me is the train system now within the city.  I retired in Bangkok, having lived in the early 70 right behind the Embassy where Iworked.  after I retired, I moved further out of  the city but spent many hours fighting traffic for different reasons, not pleasure.  It finally got to the point that I told my wife to find an adequate school for our daughter and after being there for ten years, we moved to Chiang Mai.  Then when our daughter began college at Chulalongkorn in BKK we leased a condo for her near the college and since we had two Siberian Huskies, we leased a house in Prawet district.  Not having to drive but able to jump all around the city very rapidly, is fantastic to say the least!  I have been amazed.  When we want to go back to CM for a visit to check on our house, we hop he express train to the Airport and then right to CM.  We go to visit our daughter downtown regularly and she spends weekends with in Prawet distric.  Cheap and easy  trip.  Never having to drive again in Bangkok to me is the biggest  positive difference that  I see from 1972, 1976-1979, 1997-2000, 2002-2014 . I still love the country and now like Bangkok even more than I did  before.  Best of luck to all with the new government...will she last ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thingamabob said:

First arrived in Bangkok in 1962. So many changes. Mostly good, but nightlife atmosphere nothing like as much fun as it once was.

Agree with that.

It used to be no holds barred in Bangkok and Pattaya from naked on stage to blow jobs at the bar.

There was also all the outrageous shows they used to do. Ping-pong,darts, etc

It was a laugh at the time. Also, I think there used to be far more interesting characters floating around than there are now.

It has become sterile.

Khao San road has all but vanished, a shadow of its former self.

Taxi meters didn't exist, the roads were jammed with tuk tuks.

Even the outside counter top bars used to be fun, now they are manned by miserable middle-aged women who just want to watch TV and expect tipping for a beer.

Pattaya didn't have a Russian mafia problem, or a Chinese one, there were no kidnappings by Chinese mafias, nor any crazy young Kuwaitis driving motorbikes like lunatics.

The Westerners tended to be more well-heeled and many of the younger westerners couldn't really afford to travel here.

It was more fun and more peaceful.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

The Skytrain is the best thing to happen to Bangkok in the last 25 years.  

I would never have thought about retiring there if I had to drive.   Bangkok is

so much easier to negotiate with BTS and MRT.  My mantra is, "if it ain't Skytrain

accessibe, I ain't going".  Occasionally, I do find myself in that eternal Bangkok traffic

jam inside a taxi and I swear I will never take one again.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LALes said:

so much easier to negotiate with BTS and MRT.  My mantra is, "if it ain't Skytrain

accessibe, I ain't going".  Occasionally, I do find myself in that eternal Bangkok traffic

Timing !!...   from about 10am to 4pm and then 6pm onwards the traffic usually isn't so bad (exceptions on Friday after 4pm and Saturdays all day - when everyone is out shopping).

Even with the expanding sky train there are many excellent locations, restaurants and bars that are beyond the access of the sky-train. 

Additionally, the sky train covers the busiest areas, so area's off the sky train routes often have less traffic anyway. 

But - try taking the sky-train at 5pm on a Friday....  its he'll - especially if navigating via Asoke - that said, if in a car, forget about getting anywhere !!!...  So sky train really is the only option at that time from that area.

I live in Bangkok (not on a sky train route) so take the sky train about 3 times per year perhaps...   Most of the time its Drive / Motorcycle or GrabCar BoltCar or Taxi....

If I lived within a few mins of a Sky-Train then I imagine I would use it a lot more - but as it stands I'd have to get a taxi to a sky train and then for most places I visit, I'd need to get another taxi from a sky-train (and those usually have a queue).

4 hours ago, MalcolmB said:
5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

It used to be no holds barred in Bangkok and Pattaya from naked on stage to blow jobs at the bar.

No holes barred.

You missed the 'a'.... and I can't believe you are not barred from some places where normal folk go... :giggle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LALes said:

I’ll add that the sky train was a big game changer for me too, but only for about the first 10 years that it was in operation. Thus, I didn’t mention it because eventually I developed a lifestyle which no longer required me to move around the city during the busy times of the day and use of the BTS became much less necessary for me. Now I live in a part of the city where I can walk for 90% of my needs. And I often do the things that require more travel distances at night time when I can drive my motorcycle and not deal with any traffic. If I take the sky train now more than 1 one time every 1-3 months then that’s a lot. I guess it’s almost fallen off my radar by now. 

9 hours ago, johng said:

I gave you a sad emoji   as I think  this is very sad  that you only eat pre processed and reheated food  of which you have absolutely no control of what the ingredients are  no quality control  and 7/11  come on please  WTF....  go to the local  "wet market"  and buy some real food !!!

Only if you can hold your breath for 30 min.

15 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Agree with that.

There was also all the outrageous shows they used to do. Ping-pong,darts, etc

It was a laugh at the time. Also, I think there used to be far more interesting characters floating around than there are now.

It has become sterile.

Khao San road has all but vanished, a shadow of its former self.

Taxi meters didn't exist, the roads were jammed with tuk tuks.

Even the outside counter top bars used to be fun, now they are manned by miserable middle-aged women who just want to watch TV and expect tipping for a beer.

Pattaya didn't have a Russian mafia problem, or a Chinese one, there were no kidnappings by Chinese mafias, nor any crazy young Kuwaitis driving motorbikes like lunatics.

The Westerners tended to be more well-heeled and many of the younger westerners couldn't really afford to travel here.

It was more fun and more peaceful.

Yessir got that right but then we were looking at it all as younsters too!  Now these tired old eyes just see things in a different light I guess.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, HugoFastor said:

I get most of my food delivered in boxes twice a week by a prepared meal delivery service. They drop them off for me in the lobby and I just throw them in the fridge. Then I reheat them for 2 minutes in the microwave whenever I want to eat them. Food is fresh and delicious, cleaner than restaurant or street food, and I still don't have to do any cooking myself. Just buy a few drinks and fresh salad stuff at 7-11 as I head back home. The meal delivery service model been another major life changer for me in Bangkok and I rarely deal with markets, malls, or supermarkets for food anymore. 

Which meal delivery service do you use? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, john donson said:

what? how old are you ? 100 ?

Yeah, I was born in 1962, and I am 62.

Mind you, if he came as a young man, (ex forces?  Vietnam conflict? )   he could be early eighties to mid-eighties.

All the changes have been a positive IMHO

I'd like to see foreign adult entertain ghetto areas (nana, cowboy, silom) shut down, as simply embarrassing, but easily avoided, and provides an income & tax revenue stream.

It is what it is 😎

• Sad 1

On 8/21/2024 at 2:42 PM, HugoFastor said:

Would it be possible to name this prepared meal delivery service, please? Are we talking GRAB etc and ordering from some food outlet, or is it a separate proper kitchen offering a service based on a -set- menu?

Can you point me in the proper direction?