annual fee charged on foreign customer credit card

6 hours ago, jippytum said:

For decades i have used a credit card via SCB.

As with other foreigner cardholders SCB withhold an agreed amount from my account and the full balance due is deducted each month. Not a conventional credit card but useful.

Last year for the first time  and only since using the app an annual fee was charged to the account.

I queried the charge and it was removed. 

This year the fee reappeared and SCB have suggested redeemlng some points  to mitigate the  fee amount. I have refused as this would still be a charge. The matter is pending. 

Considering a lack of  financial risk to SCB and puanitive  restrictions on the card  i think the new additional charge requested of 1,284 baht is unreasonable. 

Not sure what the issue is.

I have a full SCB credit card (grandfathered in from 2012) transferred to this new company this year.

Limit 500k.

No deposit, actual credit limit, comes with a annual fee of about 3,500 but thats always wavered because use extensively, points i use for Tops/Robinson/Central. 

43 minutes ago, Jenkins9039 said:

I have a full SCB credit card (grandfathered in from 2012) transferred to this new company this year.

Limit 500k.

No deposit, actual credit limit, comes with a annual fee of about 3,500 but thats always wavered because use extensively, points i use for Tops/Robinson/Central. 

The "issue" is quite clear.  You have a real credit card, the OP doesn't.  Nothing wrong with either, horses for courses.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, kuzie57 said:

I had a SCB platinum visa which was last year rebranded to CardX never a change on either.

Most credit cards here are free of charges if a certain minimum amount of purchases per year is reached.

18 hours ago, Jenkins9039 said:

Limit 500k.

Do you by chance have a work permit?? 

On 8/22/2024 at 1:52 PM, jippytum said:

Not a conventional credit card but useful.

i know this 'credit card'. it isnt a credit card... why dont you just keep your money in a regular account and withdraw, or pay with it. i hate this thai bank scheme... i was offered it before and i laughed in their face.

2 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i know this 'credit card'. it isnt a credit card... why dont you just keep your money in a regular account and withdraw, or pay with it. i hate this thai bank scheme... i was offered it before and i laughed in their face.

If you laugh about it that's alright. For others the card is a great solution. I use this type of card nearly every day. The deposited money earns interest and with every transaction we get points which can be exchanged against many useful things like airline miles, gift vouchers to be used for purchases and so on. And for larger purchases I can even pay in installments without any interest charged.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

You do keep your money in a normal savings account and the 'credit card' is linked to that account. The only difference between a normal credit card and the card foreigners normally receive here is that you must have the funds in your account to cover the cost of your current monthly bill.

Used it extensively when building a house for buying materials etc. With the amount of points I accumulated I can purchase items from the online store or pay for Pizza company deliveries etc 🙂. Only got an Ipad and about 20 pizzas so far but still have heaps of points.

For me they are extremely convenient, mines is KBank and no yearly charge.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

it's the same thing as a secured credit card which is offered in the US. However, you mostly have your deposit returned to you after a certain amount of time and the card is converted to an unsecured credit card.