Danish Expat Risks Prison in Thailand Over Lost Car Incident

19 hours ago, artotle said:

Protect and serve. 🫡 

Must be the famous "good guys in, bad guys out" doctrine effectively at work.

The"god guys" are born i Thailand and can't be sent away.

23 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Better still, there are apps on which you press a button on your phone when you park, and it leads you back later. Free!

Any tried and tested recommendations, please?

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Been reading up them.....correct me if I'm wrong......they rely on the presence of a high-ish density of apple phones in and around the area they are in......so no problem in the city......but ify in the sticks?

......but ify in the sticks? - It is highly unlikely you would forget your parking spot, as it will not be that congested?

Some info:

Samsung and Apple Both Offer Luggage Trackers. Which Is More Accurate?

https://www.afar.com/magazine/which-is-better-samsung-galaxy-smarttag-2-vs-apple-airtag

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?  Anything to back up that such as relevant examples, not including the case in the OP that has not yet been concluded?

The most fun one was some years back when BIB busted some seniors in Pats for playing bridge. Said must be gambling; assume totally unfamiliar with the card game.

Head of Thai bridge association, some hiso lady came to Pats and read them the riot act. Seems an international bridge event was going to happen in Bangkok not long after this bust.

To save face, the cops hit them with some charge about not having tax paid on decks of cards. Maybe they were free ones like I've gotten from EVA air. Will they must down my door?

• Sad 1

It's unfortunate but the police are sometimes the last to go to for help in this great country.I take a photo of the area and or bring a friend along but I don't drink and still can't remember at times.

It's unfortunate but the police are sometimes the last to go to for help in this great country.I take a photo of the area and or bring a friend along but I don't drink and still can't remember at times.

3 hours ago, Emdog said:
23 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Really?  Anything to back up that such as relevant examples, not including the case in the OP that has not yet been concluded?

The most fun one was some years back when BIB busted some seniors in Pats for playing bridge. Said must be gambling;

Yes, they were raided because they had reports that there was gambling taking place, they were not raided just because they were playing bridge.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, ravip said:

......but ify in the sticks? - It is highly unlikely you would forget your parking spot, as it will not be that congested?

Some info:

Samsung and Apple Both Offer Luggage Trackers. Which Is More Accurate?

https://www.afar.com/magazine/which-is-better-samsung-galaxy-smarttag-2-vs-apple-airtag

Though the bags were obviously outside of our range, it was able to keep updating its location by anonymously pinging off other Samsung devices.

👍

• Like 1

This guy is from Denmark 🇩🇰

It is well known that Danish - Scandinavian people are honest. They trust their sistem and are used to it from when they are born .

Probably he had no idea in what he was walking in as he didn't have his antennas up till it was late .

Feel sorry for him and what he has to go trou .  🙏🏼

Hope he will get proper help and solve the issue asap .

3 minutes ago, Marco100 said:

This guy is from Denmark 🇩🇰

It is well known that Danish - Scandinavian people are honest. They trust their sistem and are used to it from when they are born .

Probably he had no idea in what he was walking in as he didn't have his antennas up till it was late .

Feel sorry for him and what he has to go trou .  🙏🏼

Hope he will get proper help and solve the issue asap .

"his antennas".... What ?

On 8/24/2024 at 8:44 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously, one should know what you sign.

On the other hand, I wonder if it is lawful for the police to ask anybody to sign a document when the police must know the person can't read and understand it. 

In theory, I agree, but maybe he was not allowed to leave unless he signed the document, in that case, I would write in capital letters, "I do not understand the contents of this document as it is written in Thai", and then sign it.

I wonder if that would work? 

I was in a bar a few years ago and heard first-hand of a "being lost" story.

A very old-looking guy was sitting next to me at the bar counter and was sobbing into his beer.

I asked if I could help.

He said he had won $60,000,000 on the lottery six months earlier, he said he had bought a country mansion, a penthouse in Central London,  a Ferrari, and had married a 25-year-old beautiful woman.

I asked him why he was crying.

He said, "I can't remember where I live".

• Confused 1

A reminder that in Thailand a foreigner will always be the golden goose for all the corrupt police or immigration staff who will jump at any chance to extort money. No point in living full time in such a 3rd world country. A few months here and there but not more.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 11:21 PM, Gknrd said:

I'm 72 and forget where I park all the time. Never been a problem, but I forget. I have gotten to where I take a pic if in a huge lot or in a city I have never been to before.  

your smartphone will tell you

The man is subject to judicial penalty because of police conduct. The justice system has failed. This illustrates the risk that all foreigners face in Thailand.  I am left with the impression that he did not pay off the police and they have retaliated. I hope I am wrong.

On 8/24/2024 at 5:21 AM, Gknrd said:

I'm 72 and forget where I park all the time. Never been a problem, but I forget. I have gotten to where I take a pic if in a huge lot or in a city I have never been to before.  

Tip:

Use your phone GPS to mark the location of your car.

Quick,simple,foolproof.

I did it once on my first rental motorcycle trip into huahin. I returned to within 6 feet of my bike before recognizing it. Much relief.

3 minutes ago, deesquared said:

Put one in the car? Come on. Don't be daft.

Me daft  ?

I aint the idiot that suggested putting one on the keys !

FWIW I have GPS trackers in all my vehicles.

Hunt down the Danish in full force of all available police officers ..... and rest assured, that this story - on the internet - is also read OUTside Thailand. 

Thailand, the country of jokers ............. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2024 at 11:45 PM, webfact said:

It all started with a visit to the PhyaThai hospital in Sriracha for routine medical check-ups related to his heart condition and diabetes. 

I wonder how his heart is doing after all this.

• 2 weeks later...