Tin sheds on pickup trucks - legal or not?

7 minutes ago, Foxx said:

One often sees pickup trucks with a tin shed fitted over the cargo bed.  This seems to me to be dangerous.  Is it actually legal in Thailand?

No, but Mr Blind Eye is turned.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How are they dangerous? 

Think about the enormous amount of safety testing that a vehicle has to go through before being put on the market.  These tin sheds have no testing at all.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Foxx said:

One often sees pickup trucks with a tin shed fitted over the cargo bed.  This seems to me to be dangerous.  Is it actually legal in Thailand?

I think that would depend on the length of the 'Shed' there was one involved in a Bangkok accident,  that looked like it had a 4ton box fitted.

the cost of toyota hiace panel vans is a million baht while cheapest hilux starts at around 500,000 baht, the Hilux drives better long distance than the van any day 

The Japanese knows how they are used in Thailand and designed with such modification in mind from aerodynamic to weight be it refrigerated box, tin shed or tall cage for produce/livestock

what it's not designed for however is when they upgraded the rear axle to take small truck axle and wheels and overload the truck from 1+ ton to 3-4 ton, which is way illegal   

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

People that think they own the road are really annoying to those of us that do...

I dont think I own the road... but if you decide do 100km/h in the RH lane on the 7 motorway I will force you to move to the left.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Okay, I will concede that if a pickup with a tin shed on the back is driving on the wrong side of the road it is dangerous. 

Is that all you have? 

What? Isn't a vehicle that comes apart in an accident, destroys the cab and kills the driver not dangerous enough for you!

Maybe you'd  have been more convinced if the 'tin shed' had smashed into a fully laden school and killed a few kids as well!

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

They need to be properly secured. They are nowhere hear as scary as the farm trucks stacked three meters high that are not legal.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

I dont think I own the road... but if you decide do 100km/h in the RH lane on the 7 motorway I will force you to move to the left.

No you won't, believe me. 

That said, I'm not the one doing 100 in a 120.

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

What? Isn't a vehicle that comes apart in an accident, destroys the cab and kills the driver not dangerous enough for you!

Maybe you'd  have been more convinced if the 'tin shed' had smashed into a fully laden school and killed a few kids as well!

What high speed, head-on collision with a bus does not result in mayhem and death? 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Foxx said:

Is it actually legal in Thailand?

Probably wrong forum for asking legal advice regarding the roads and traffic. 

Some here think it's OK to drive their uninsured, untaxed, unroadworthy disability scooters on public roads.

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

I have no issue with ramming into slow cars that refuse to yeild.

And I have no issue spending hours stopped in the middle of the road with a guy that rammed me stuck behind me. 

If you want to sell you some wolf tickets, I'll buy all you got. 

Just now, Yellowtail said:

And I have no issue spending hours stopped in the middle of the road with a guy that rammed me stuck behind me. 

If you want to sell you some wolf tickets, I'll buy all you got. 

I dont stop.