Can somebody please explain this to me..

22 hours ago, bob smith said:

.. what is the deal with thai men?

why are they so reluctant to form a friendship with farangs?

99% of the thai men that I meet seem to have some kind of social barrier when it comes to farang men...

what are the reasons for this?

I find it very perplexing..

Are they scared of us?

Intimidated by us?

think they are bigger/better than us?

or do they just not like us??

I know that some people may have thai male friends but after many years living here i have precisely zero thai male friends.

I have many lady friends. and if it all comes down purely to 'cultural differences', then why are the women much more open to talking to/befriending western men?

This I find very strange indeed.

bob.

Every Thai man I've met that I would consider being friends with has been willing to be friends with me.  

What sort of Thai men are you trying to make friends with?  What age are they?  

The Thai guys I know are all in the late 20's to late 30's range.   All professionals with good jobs (They all earn a lot more than me!).

• Like 1

My wife and I like to play pool with friends.  Last night 2 thai men came to play against us. Played for over 3 hours. They were very polite and fun to play against.  The fact they both wore tight dresses and were stunning is beside the point 

On 8/30/2024 at 2:54 PM, bob smith said:

99% of the thai men that I meet seem to have some kind of social barrier when it comes to farang men...

Are they scared of us?

Intimidated by us?

I know that some people may have thai male friends but after many years living here i have precisely zero thai male friends.

I have many lady friends. and if it all comes down purely to 'cultural differences', then why are the women much more open to talking to/befriending western men?

bob.

They hate English like most of the country 

I know that some people may have thai male friends but after many years living here i have precisely zero thai male friends

Maybe it's you.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

...but then again maybe it's not??

bob.

I don't know. You post all this inane drivel, so it's quite possible that Thai men think you're batsh1t crazy.

On 8/30/2024 at 10:06 AM, CharlieH said:

In my experience, those Thai males that are fluent in English and have confidence in their ability its never an issue. Those that are not tend to keep very basic sentences and simply don't know how and with the Asian "losing face" embarrassment factor they simple choose not to engage.

Yes, again all comes down to education. I had a lot of Thai friends when living in Phuket, but they were all business owners, restaurants, agencies , etc and you could hold a good conversation / joke with them . I find the same in Pattaya where I go to  two restaurants frequently and the staff are from Myanmar. They speak good English and on quiet evenings it’s nice to have a good chat with them . I suppose if you’re fluent in Thai it’s easier. 

Well I am of the opposing camp in a sense that I think that a lot of Thai men are very good people. I know a lot of Thais that are hard workers, good husband's, and good souls.

Having said that, it seems like in general most have a lack of curiosity about the outside world, and therefore very little interest in getting to know us. I know that if I lived in Mexico, or India or the PI, or countless other countries, I would have a lot of very good local friends, which I do miss here. Not so here, I've been here for a long time and though there are a lot of Thai men that I like and hang out with with my woman, none of them would have any interest in getting together for lunch or getting to know me any better.

It's just the nature of the culture, the few friends that I do have who have good Thai friends, met them overseas and they are Thai men with an international perspective. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2024 at 3:16 PM, Will B Good said:
On 8/30/2024 at 3:13 PM, Cameroni said:

How would you feel if people came to your country to take all the women?

And worse, the women go for that?

I've often wondered about that......but got to say I've never seen even a hint of distaste, anger, resentment from anyone.

Maybe it is done subtly ??

Foreigners typically don't get Thai woman that Thai men want.

Men and women are different.

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Well I am of the opposing camp in a sense that I think that a lot of Thai men are very good people. I know a lot of Thais that are hard workers, good husband's, and good souls.

Having said that, it seems like in general most have a lack of curiosity about the outside world, and therefore very little interest in getting to know us. I know that if I lived in Mexico, or India or the PI, or countless other countries, I would have a lot of very good local friends, which I do miss here. Not so here, I've been here for a long time and though there are a lot of Thai men that I like and hang out with with my woman, none of them would have any interest in getting together for lunch or getting to know me any better.

It's just the nature of the culture, the few friends that I do have who have good Thai friends, met them overseas and they are Thai men with an international perspective. 

Mexico sounds good!

bob.

12 minutes ago, bob smith said:

Mexico sounds good!

bob.

Personally I've always loved Mexico. I love the Mexican people, the culture, the food, and the land. However I don't love the security situation there, and I don't love having to always look over my shoulders, not to mention the fact that Mexico is fairly expensive. 

I spent some time in Mexico about 4 years ago, hoping to move there, and there were a half dozen reasons why I decided to stay here. I do miss the selection of very high quality, deep Pacific seafood, all of which is wild caught. The seafood blows away the best of Thailand. 

However, I am happy about that decision. I like everyday in Thailand. I wake up in the morning here and I'm very happy to be here. 

20211129_133029.jpg

20211129_133310.jpg

Edited by spidermike007

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

However, I am happy about that decision. I like everyday in Thailand. I wake up in the morning here and I'm very happy to be here. 

I wish I could say the same..

bob.

Are they scared of us?

Intimidated by us?

bob.

Why do you specifically want to befriend Thai men?

You could be friendly, but they will never be your 'friends'

You are who you are, apparently..........!

Are they scared of us?

Intimidated by us?

bob.

Be thankful! Be real thankful! :cheesy:

On 8/30/2024 at 10:14 AM, Trippy said:

This forum really needs a B.S. button.

In the emojis. But I usually can't be bothered to go through the process so often on this site ...

💩

🤮  ... also handy.

• Thanks 1

Thai men are a good judge of character. 

No social barrier with the ones I meet. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

BOB, didn’t you post a few months back that you left the country you didn’t like it here anymore and then two or three days later you came back or then you were taking a cargo ship to leave the country you post  so much you must have a very interesting life lol

I am not surprised they don't want to be your friend,you are always dissing them ,

no fun having a alcoholic as a best friend ,one who is always economical with

the truth ......stick with the ladyboys , the closest you will have to a Thai male friend

regards worgeordie 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

In my experience a Thai person who has lived in or studied in a western country is more likely to even engage in a converstaion with a foreigner.  In my years in CNX I have only met 4 people who have ever lived in or studied in a foreign country.  A woman who lived in San Francisco and another who worked in Singapore.  I have met two Thai men who lived and studied in a foreing country.  My former dentist who studied at UCLA in Los Angeles and  a Grab Driver who also studied at UCLA.  Therefore, I have never even close to even having a conversation let alone a connection any Thai person besides buying somethiing or buying a service.  Also, I have never been able to master the tonal aspect of the Thai language so when I try many just don't seem to understand what I am saying.  At this point "why bother with the Thai language".  I really don't need Thai male friend anyway.  It seems like a lost cause to pursue anykind of friendship with a Thai male. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

In my experience a Thai person who has lived in or studied in a western country is more likely to even engage in a converstaion with a foreigner.  In my years in CNX I have only met 4 people who have ever lived in or studied in a foreign country.  A woman who lived in San Francisco and another who worked in Singapore.  I have met two Thai men who lived and studied in a foreing country.  My former dentist who studied at UCLA in Los Angeles and  a Grab Driver who also studied at UCLA.  Therefore, I have never even close to even having a conversation let alone a connection any Thai person besides buying somethiing or buying a service.  Also, I have never been able to master the tonal aspect of the Thai language so when I try many just don't seem to understand what I am saying.  At this point "why bother with the Thai language".  I really don't need Thai male friend anyway.  It seems like a lost cause to pursue anykind of friendship with a Thai male. 

...tell @worgeordie

bob.