Bail Granted to Somyot and Others in "Boss" Yoovidhya Case

BB.jpg

FILE - Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, whose grandfather co-founded energy drink company Red Bull, walks to get in a car as he leaves a house in London Wednesday, April 5, 2017. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham, File)

Pol. Gen. Somyot Poompanmoung, a former National Police Chief, along with seven other individuals, has been granted bail by the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases. This decision follows charges related to the notorious 2012 hit-and-run case involving Vorayuth "Boss" Yoovidhya, which resulted in the death of Sgt. Maj. Wichian Klanprasert.

Background and Charges

The group, including Pol. Gen. Somyot, was summoned by prosecutors based on the findings of the Thailand National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC). The charges pertain to the alleged alteration of investigative documents and reduction of charges against Vorayuth Yoovidhya, an heir to the Red Bull fortune, who was implicated in the fatal accident.

Court Appearance and Bail Conditions

At approximately 12:10 p.m. today, Pol. Gen. Somyot and the others appeared in court. Shortly afterward, Pol. Gen. Somyot disclosed that bail had been granted, with each individual required to post a cash bond of 200,000 baht. As part of the bail conditions, the court has imposed a travel ban, restricting them from leaving the country.

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy: Siam Rath

Statement by Pol. Gen. Somyot

Speaking briefly to the media outside the courtroom, Pol. Gen. Somyot emphasised that his legal team would handle the ongoing case. He refrained from commenting further on the case specifics, underscoring his respect for the judicial process and the presiding judges.

When questioned about his stance on the accusations, Pol. Gen. Somyot indicated that his lawyers would address the matter, avoiding any direct assertion of innocence or guilt.

Implications of the Case

This high-profile case has drawn significant public interest and scrutiny due to the involvement of prominent figures and the controversial handling of the original investigation. The granting of bail and the imposed travel restrictions signify that while the accused are temporarily free, they remain under close judicial monitoring as the case proceeds.

The next steps will be closely watched as both the legal proceedings and the involved parties navigate the complex judicial landscape.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-08-31

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 5
  • Haha 2

Prosecutor defends involvement in Red Bull heir hit-and-run case
by Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Screenshot-2024-08-31-095208.webp
Photo courtesy of Bangkok Post

A former senior prosecutor has revealed he assisted Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya in the 2012 hit-and-run case due to a compassionate gesture, as the driver was a friend of his niece.

Chainarong Saengthong-aram, one of eight defendants accused of mishandling the high-profile incident that resulted in the death of a policeman, allegedly underreported the speed of Vorayuth’s Ferrari from an estimated 177 kilometres per hour to below the legal limit of 80 kilometres per hour.

The trial is set to commence at the Central Criminal Court for Corruption and Misconduct Cases tomorrow at 9.30am.

Chainarong expressed his relief at the opportunity to prove his innocence, claiming that committees such as the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) and the attorney general have treated him unfairly.

“I will file a counter-suit, totalling seven cases, against the attorney general, including misconduct and malicious prosecution, to subject me to criminal penalties.”

The ex-prosecutor also plans to present evidence demonstrating that a video clip used against him by the NACC and the attorney general had been edited.

When questioned about his integrity in handling Vorayuth’s case, Chainarong cited the Criminal Procedure Code, Section 134, asserting that the accused has the right to present facts in his favour.

Chainarong admitted he assisted Vorayuth because the young man was a friend of his niece. He stated that before getting involved, he reviewed Section 797 of the Civil and Commercial Code to confirm his legal right to intervene in the case as an individual, not as a prosecutor, reported Bangkok Post.

“At that time, I was a prosecutor in the jurisdiction of the Criminal Court, Criminal Division 6, but Vorayuth’s case occurred in the precinct of Thonglor Police Station, which is under the Bangkok South Criminal Court’s jurisdiction.

“I am a prosecutor but also a human being. How is it wrong to help friends or relatives when the case is not within my jurisdictive responsibility?”

When asked if he received any compensation for his actions, Chainarong firmly denied it.

“Just a generous courtesy for being a helpful friend. I did not receive any money. You can check my financial records.”

Sour: The Thaiger 2024-08-31

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, webfact said:

Chainarong admitted he assisted Vorayuth because the young man was a friend of his niece. He stated that before getting involved, he reviewed Section 797 of the Civil and Commercial Code to confirm his legal right to intervene in the case as an individual, not as a prosecutor, reported Bangkok Post.

“At that time, I was a prosecutor in the jurisdiction of the Criminal Court, Criminal Division 6, but Vorayuth’s case occurred in the precinct of Thonglor Police Station, which is under the Bangkok South Criminal Court’s jurisdiction.

OHhhhh why didn't you say so - End of the corridor turn right & follow the arrows pointing to freedom ..................LOL

I need to check all the financial records of all the people involved follow the money. Why don’t they just issue a red notice and pick up the kid it just shows how Thailand justice really works here. Amazing  thailand. TIT

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

How about the curry Prime Minister her aunt day before the final verdict? Supposedly they regards around her property so she couldn’t leave the country. It was amazing how she was able to meet her brother’s jet and fly away  how did justice system works in Thailand? Should be back very soon. All charges be forgiven. They still millions and people just forget about it. TIT.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Thai jurisprudence 12 years later🥱😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴😴

In this case too, there will be no convictions. Thailand is in the hands of so-called influential families, to which "Boss" Yoovidhya belongs. No one in this country dares to do anything, and anyone who dares to do so is quickly slandered and out of the picture forever. Yoovidhia will do what Thaksin did, who has paved the way back...but first wait for Yingluck:post-4641-1156694572:

Edited by ujayujay

2 hours ago, webfact said:

I did not receive any money. You can check my financial records.

Who says he was paid with money? Maybe it was art work, or a lifetime supply of Red Bull...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Any sign of an Interpol Red Notice or initiation of extradition proceedings to help close this case?

If not, why not?

the Red notice was withdrawn a few years ago.. though the RTP do not confirm it... but it is no longer on Interpols site... irrespective of what one commenter, on this forum keeps pushing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A former senior prosecutor has revealed he assisted Red Bull heir Vorayuth Yoovidhya in the 2012 hit-and-run case due to a compassionate gesture, as the driver was a friend of his niece.

Had to read that about five times......still far from convinced it can be real.....WT....!