Yokohama 265/60R18 GEOLANDAR A/T G015 vs BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2

I need a new set of tires for a Ford Ranger 4 doors 4x4.

I always liked the BFGoodrich, but was not easy to find 18" size in Thailand, usually more than 6 months since manufacturing and  it was always more expensive than other A/T tires so I always had to compromise and take the Yokohama.

I understand that since 2019 BFGoodrich started manufacturing here in Thailand, so I guess it would be easier to find "fresh" tires, and even see them on B-Quick website. Price is still 10,500 THB per tire, as it was about 4-5 years ago when I last looked for new tires.

I don't drive off road as much as I used to, but I do have about 500 meters of unpaved road leading to my place and during the wet season it can be challenging for road tires. Many times after heavy rain I even have to go 4x4 part of this road. Also, I like to keep my off road options open.

Price difference between the 2 stands at about 4K / tire. The tire I have now are about 4-6 years old. Don't know how many Km I drove on them. I understand that the BF are a bit more of a rough drive compared to Yoko, but that they last much longer.

Any personal experience? Recommendations?

TIA

I had very good service out of a set of Geolanders on my Mits 4x4....If I recall correctly they had gone about 60k before I got rid of the car....At that time the tread still had about 40% but the rubber compound had hardened over the 5 year period.....I never had any problems with them.....

They were priced right because they are produced in country.....

Edited by pgrahmm

21 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

I had very good service out of a set of Geolanders on my Mits 4x4....If I recall correctly they had gone about 60k before I got rid of the car....At that time the tread still had about 40% but the rubber compound had hardened over the 5 year period.....I never had any problems with them.....

They were priced right because they are produced in country.....

I think that the 1st set of Yoko I bought were about 8K / tire, and later on I bought another set for around 6K. At the moment they are priced at 6,390 each and BFGoodrich 10,490. I read somewhere last week that as of 2019 BF started producing in Thailand as well yet the price is the same as it was in the past.

Although I am happy with the Geolandar, a couple of times tires were ruined by rocks on the sidewall which is not as fortified (?) as Goodrich's. I can't say how % tread I have left, but seems a lot less than what should be. The question is if Bf worth the 16K difference in price.

13 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I think that the 1st set of Yoko I bought were about 8K / tire, and later on I bought another set for around 6K. At the moment they are priced at 6,390 each and BFGoodrich 10,490. I read somewhere last week that as of 2019 BF started producing in Thailand as well yet the price is the same as it was in the past.

Although I am happy with the Geolandar, a couple of times tires were ruined by rocks on the sidewall which is not as fortified (?) as Goodrich's. I can't say how % tread I have left, but seems a lot less than what should be. The question is if Bf worth the 16K difference in price.

All radial tires are susceptible to sidewall damage....The strength is in the tread....The sidewalls job is to flex & cool + keep the tread tracking true & on the ground....

The old bias ply tires were sidewall strong, but allowed the tread to roll sideways under certain adverse handling conditions.... 

I have been using the Yokohama in my 2017 Ford Ranger since last year. As it is in your case I also have about 500 meters of “gravel” terrain from the main road to our house, during the rainy season, they have been performing well, and they are very silent and have a good grip on paved roads, even when it is raining.

Right now they have around 40000 kilometers and they look perfect. Good air pressure and rotation every 10000 kilometers, may have helped to keep them in good condition.

I don't have any experience with BF, but I don't think it is worth it to buy them at that big price difference.

• Thanks 1

When my 4×4 Toyota Pickup needed new tyres I checked a lot of reviews on the internet for various different brands. The only thing that stood out was that all name brands are both fantastic and rubbish according to different reviewers. I ended up changing from Bridgestone to Yokohama Geolandars due to price and never had a problem with them.

• Thanks 1