British man, accused of drug dealing, arrested in Phuket

webfact

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Something is not right here, Life for drug trafficking? don't think so, 

For all of you who doubt a life sentence, reference from UK drug laws (Google)

The amount of drugs found on you and whether you have a criminal record, will be taken into account when a punishment is being decided. The maximum sentences for intent to supply drugs are: up to life in prison, an unlimited fine or both for a Class A drug.

8 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Something is not right here, Life for drug trafficking? don't think so, 

The amount of drugs found on you and whether you have a criminal record, will be taken into account when a punishment is being decided. The maximum sentences for intent to supply drugs are: up to life in prison, an unlimited fine or both for a Class A drug.  

7 hours ago, itsari said:

Probably feel as bad as the companies producing cigarettes and alcohol 

Movie makers are equally accountable.....For advertising alcohol and cigarettes.

.Watch any old black and white movie from America.. everyone smoking .

Any time of day drinking a full glass of whisky 'on the rocks'

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Yeah, he will change in the  Club lounge. 

True, dress standards have changed. When I started in the early 1990s jacket,  tie, proper shoes were required airline staff travel dress code. Then to be sat up next to a passenger in business wearing dirty gym cloths. Now I can have tats, piercings  and paint my nails. 

You could probably even wear a dress! 

7 hours ago, ujayujay said:

Reading the article helps, he was sentenced to for his crimes in England. Nothing to do with Thai law:coffee1:

Dude, I did read the entire article.

What part of my comment indicates that I thought it was Thai law the Brit was escaping from?

9 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I Do not think I will ever understand why people who know they can be found and extradited back to their country to face severe criminal charges do not flee to countries that do not follow extradition laws. 

Why go to Thailand to pretend to be someone else and in hiding when you can go to a country that does not care about what you did in your country. Stupidity befalls stupidity so let him rot in prison now. 

Because there from West Yorkshire and don't even know where Gatwick is. But can name you all the main prisons are in the UK

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

I Do not think I will ever understand why people who know they can be found and extradited back to their country to face severe criminal charges do not flee to countries that do not follow extradition laws. 

Why go to Thailand to pretend to be someone else and in hiding when you can go to a country that does not care about what you did in your country. Stupidity befalls stupidity so let him rot in prison now. 

Name a good country for Brit crims to ponce off to ? 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Does google also tell you the last time someone got a life sentence for drug supply in the UK?

From Perplexity AI:

”What are some notable cases where someone was sentenced to life for a drug offense in the UK?”

Khalid Mahmood (2010): Mahmood was convicted for his role in a drug trafficking operation that included violence and threats. He received a life sentence due to the severity of the crimes associated with his drug offenses, including the use of firearms and intimidation

18 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Most subjects of extradition requests are people who have been indicted but not yet tried...the goal is to bring them back to stand trial.

One poster at least is saying the article is wrong and he is just an unindicted  suspect. In that case  UK Police should have just sent some officers to Phuket to interview him if they have any questions Voluntarily, of course. 

Thailand can deport him for whatever reason they want however. Doesn’t look like he has been following the rules. 

Edited by Captain Monday

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

One poster at least is saying the article is wrong and he is just an unindicted  suspect. In that case  UK Police should have just sent some officers to Phuket to interview him if they have any questions Voluntarily, of course. 

Article 7 of the Thailand - UK Extradition Treaty says: 

"The requisition for the extradition of the accused person must be accompanied by a warrant of arrest issued by the competent authority of the State requiring the extradition, and by such evidence as, according to the laws of the place where the accused is found, would justify his arrest if the crime had been committed there."

If he were only an unindicted suspect, the UK would not have made an extradition request. Making such a request is a very big deal, and they're vetted by multiple offices, so it's extremely unlikely that one would be made in error.

As you say, there are numerous other channels for law enforcement cooperation if all that is wanted is to question a suspect.

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/Treaty-Thailand-and-Great-Britain.html

On 9/3/2024 at 7:13 AM, khunjeff said:

How on earth was he out and about after being convicted and handed a life sentence? 

With the TM-30, 90 day reports, and biometrics, they should have been able to go directly to his home with no effort at all! 

The lack of an extradition treaty does not mean that a country won't turn over fugitives, it just means they're under no obligation to do so.

He would not get into most of these countries with an Interpol notice. China? No way!

I can only imagine a photo was released worldwide and someone saw him.Yet the red bull heir his photo  and arrest warrant they have no idea where he is and time ticks to no more charges soon.I imagine  he was always looking over his shoulder in thailand

On 9/3/2024 at 6:19 AM, ChipButty said:

Where do you suggest, Afghanistan?

Russia, China, Belarus, Iran and N. Korea will not extradite a person to England. 

Go to China and be an English teacher. I did it and it wasn't great, but it beats the hell outta prison!