The Thai ETA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation)

3 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

As I said, some airlines are already self check-in only for last 18 months with no check-in desks available. Only a matter of time before more airlines follow.

At any particular airport or worldwide?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Maestro said:

I had pointed out Singapore Airlines no longer had check-in desks when I used them in last 18 months (self check-in only way to get boarding pass and baggage tags to self check-in luggage). Not sure when other airlines will follow suit

Good news is you never speak to a Singapore Airline staff member so no-one asks or checks if you have an onward ticket

Edited by Pattaya57

1 minute ago, Maestro said:

Certainly not my experience.

I travel a LOT.

When I fly out of Oz to Vietnam I need to attend airline desk and they examine my eVisa to Vietnam with fine tooth comb.

When I fly DMK to Saigon (every 2 months) same deal.

When I fly Melbourne to BKK Jetstar they ask for my reentry permit.

Not to long ago with new pp the airline required my old pp as it contained reentry permit.

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Not sure when other airlines will follow suit

You have stated that many times.

Try flying Jetstar or eg Vietjet out of Brisbane or other Oz airports and see how it works out

19 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You have stated that many times.

Try flying Jetstar or eg Vietjet out of Brisbane or other Oz airports and see how it works out

Post you responded to I said I'm not sure when other airlines will follow suit (in doing self check-in only).

What has you quoting Jetstar or Vietjet changed what I said in that I'm not sure when other airlines will follow suit?

Edited by Pattaya57

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Post you responded to I said I'm not sure when other airlines will follow suit (in doing self check-in only).

It's tied to airline insisting on onward flight for visa exempt plans to visit Thailand.

That is still very much the case.

Your posts re a particular airline is misleading and certainly not the norm regarding no need to attend airline for boarding pass and check.

You being Oz need eVisa for Vietnam.

Take a trip and you will find airline check in required.

Also on return to Thailand same. 

Online check in not available. 

Oz to Vietnam (just one example) the same. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

As I said, some airlines are already self check-in only for last 18 months with no check-in desks available. Only a matter of time before more airlines follow.

Yep I flew on Singapore outbound from Heathrowin January. Self check only in it wasnt optional as you say....They had a floor walker to assist if anyone wasn't sure but that was all.

There was no manned desks @sandyf you either did it or you didnt fly lol

Agree with the poster I'm quoting the savings must be quite high

Edited pretty sure Eva have that now as well ??

Edited by Chivas
  • Thumbs Up 1

Will be interesting to see if people with long term visa extensions (Retirement, marriage etc) also have to do the ETA as they have a approved visa/extension.

Also interesting to see what the waiting time will be for the ETA if required, as i have often a last minute flight change (within 24 hours) due to my work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

So how do the "self check only" airlines check the various visas from around the world?

My wife usually has a message on her ticket to say she must use a check in desk.

5 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So how do the "self check only" airlines check the various visas from around the world?

My wife usually has a message on her ticket to say she must use a check in desk.

They apparently don't. I did self check-in in April with a non-imm O. Only had to insert my passport ID page in scanner and was never asked if I had a visa

16 hours ago, Chivas said:

here was no manned desks @sandyf you either did it or you didnt fly lol

Do you really think they are going to leave someone behind, there is always the option of asking for special assistance.

8 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

They apparently don't. I did self check-in in April with a non-imm O. Only had to insert my passport ID page in scanner and was never asked if I had a visa

Can't see that working for Thais going to the UK. My wife had no problem entering Turkey last year, different story leaving. Had her passport checked 3 times and each time resulted in a phone call, because we were heading back to UK.

Your post is going to have visa exempters rubbing their hands with glee.

• Confused 1

Is it correct that foreigners that do not need visa free travel (eg those with Permanent Residence) will still have to obtain an ETA? Logically they shouldn't but I have feeling they will. PRs tend to be forgotten in this kind of policy change.

If the process is as easy as Singapore, no problem.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Is it correct that foreigners that do not need visa free travel (eg those with Permanent Residence) will still have to obtain an ETA?

No, according to what they told us.

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

I am sure it will be even more efficient than in Singapore - like everything here, right?

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2024 at 10:11 AM, Captain Monday said:

Visas must be applied for thru State Deptartment, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Justice

I can't find a country who issues visas through the Ministry of Justice?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2024 at 7:58 PM, DrJack54 said:

When I fly Melbourne to BKK Jetstar they ask for my reentry permit.

Not to long ago with new pp the airline required my old pp as it contained reentry permit.

Very strange, it is most certainly not in the airlines remit to check if you have a re-entry permit, actually, I would have thought that most airline staff would not even know they exist. Having a re-entry permit is also in no way shape or form a requirement to travel.

As I said, very strange.

31 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

, I would have thought that most airline staff would not even know they exist

They know.

Another example is the zillion times I've flown Saigon to Bangkok.

The check in staff at Saigon flicking through my pp.

Me: what are you looking for

Them: visa.

I then point them to reentry permit.

My most recent trip (3 weeks ago)  they did not ask for it. 

1 hour ago, bigt3116 said:

I can't find a country who issues visas through the Ministry of Justice?

”The Ministry of Justice (法務省, Hōmu-shō)[1] is one of the cabinet level ministries of the Japanese government. It is responsible for the judicial system, correctional services, and household, property and corporate registrations, and immigration control. ”

If you were applying through a consulate though, they are under The Ministry of Foreign Affairs though all the information about Japan Visas is on the MOJ site.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They know.

My most recent trip (3 weeks ago)  they did not ask for it. 

JL made me sign a waiver form  once when on a one way ticket

Scoot, Asiana, Korean, and ANA

Never check for a  visa or ”onward ticket ”

One Korean ground agent boy though claimed my so-called  ”Elite Visa ” sticker was fake

A supervisor got him sorted very quickly

Last week I was asked for my boarding pass by inbound immigration at Chiang Mai Airport, cant think of another time since 1998 I have ever been asked for a boarding pass by Immigration although they are ”required”. I usually go to the far left to the most senior looking gent, always seems to be there

But I got herded over to some female IOs station, and I got soft butch

She asked for my boarding pass. I thought I left it in the seat back pocket, not in the lavatory rubbish bin where they usually goSo she asked my flight number, there were two arriving at once.  Done. Just as I always imagined.  Just found it crumpled in my bag yesterday.

Edited by Captain Monday

10 hours ago, jayboy said:

Is it correct that foreigners that do not need visa free travel (eg those with Permanent Residence) will still have to obtain an ETA? Logically they shouldn't but I have feeling they will. PRs tend to be forgotten in this kind of policy change.

Yes very easy and no immigration chops.

I do not believe that is actually an ETA however because it is not required for boarding an intl flight to Singapore

You can fill out that application in the arrival hall kiosks at Changi Airport  or on your mobile device.

49 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

They know.

You say "they know", yet they asked for your visa, not a re-entry permit.

And instead of showing what they asked for, you show them a re-entry permit?

I stand by what I said, airlines do not ask for (nor probably know about), re-entry permits, your post above actually helps prove my point, not dispel it.

🙂

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Stop. Immigration and airline staff use the word "visa" for a one word cover all.

Even at CW there is large sign "Visa Extension" 

No such thing.

I don't have a visa. I have an extension based on retirement.

The reentry permit allows me to reenter Thailand.

I have had extensive chat with airline staff regarding this. 

You sound like you fly very little. 

You specifically said they asked for your re-entry permit, and by your own admission they did not!

So why don't you stop making excuses for giving duff info?

"I don't have a visa. I have an extension based on retirement.", no you don't, you have an extension based on being over 50.

Whether I fly a lot or not has nothing to do with the amount of forum reading I do and whether anyone else has specifically been asked to show a re-entry permit.

You sound like you hate being proved wrong.

🙂

Edited by bigt3116
  • Haha 1

Whether I fly a lot or not has nothing to do with the amount of forum reading I do and whether anyone else has specifically been asked to show a re-entry permit.

Staff at airline desk issuing boarding pass would not use term "reentry permit". 

They are looking for evidence to be able to enter Thailand visa exempt.

Meaning an onward flight within 30 (currently 60) days....OR 

A visa or reentry permit.

Prior to covid I went to Vietnam every month for several years and am very well aware of what the airline staff are looking for. 

I even have the page with permit  marked so I can show them quickly. 

As soon as they see it they proceed.

In 2019 there were several reports of denied entry at BKK and DMK and airlines at departure were very vigilant on checking for onward flight or "visa" (again the word they use) 

"I don't have a visa. I have an extension based on retirement.", no you don't, you have an extension based on being over 50.

Everyone knows that extension has requirement of being 50+ ...not retirement.

The fact is everyone uses term "extension based on retirement" 

14 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

You specifically said they asked for your re-entry permit, and by your own admission they did not!

🙂

My personal experience this year has been when checking in in Vietnam and Laos the staff are looking in my passport fir a visa, both times they come across my re-entry permit and that's it.  Nothing asked or stated.  They won't find any visa in my passport as it was an e-visa.

I also have a retirement extension.  It is not an extension based upon being over 50.  That is simply one of the requirements, along with the financial requirement.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

🙂

Other countries have or had re-entry permits

Experienced airline staff have heard of them

For Cindy-Lou at the Delta Connection counter in Hot Springs Arkansas Airport

the info about acceptable travel documents for all destinations can be found on the airlines check in system

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Upnotover said:

I also have a retirement extension.  It is not an extension based upon being over 50

Oh how wrong you are! There is absolutely no requirement to be retired to get either a visa or extension based on being over 50.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

Oh how wrong you are! There is absolutely no requirement to be retired to get either a visa or extension based on being over 50.

I didn't say that was one of the criteria.  But nevertheless that is what immigration, MFA and everyone else, besides you, calls it, and is what is stamped in my passport.

• Agree 1