Torrential Rain Floods Pattaya: City Fights to Stay Afloat

snoop1130

S__3358735.jpg

Pattaya, the popular Thai resort city, has been inundated with heavy flooding after a three-hour deluge late last night. The torrential rain turned low-lying areas and roads, such as Pattaya 3 Road, into virtual canals, leaving them impassable to smaller vehicles.

Caught unprepared, numerous cars and motorcycles became submerged, their owners grappling with the unexpected downpour. Pattaya police were active across the city, advising motorists to stay clear of the flooded roads to ensure safety.

As the rainfall eased up this morning, officials estimate it will take several hours for the accumulated water to drain into the sea. Residents and tourists alike are urged to exercise caution while the city works diligently to restore normalcy amid the aftermath of the sudden flood.

File photo for reference only

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-03

news-footer-4.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, Only unprepared because they did not do much last year except catch free fish on the flooded streets. 

If they had good drainage to the sea it would not have accumulated so much so fast nor would it have taken several hours to dissipate. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, thesetat2013 said:

Yeah, Only unprepared because they did not do much last year except catch free fish on the flooded streets.

Slightly off topic but I nearly hit a woman catching fish flapping in the road when I drove home yesterday (Tuesday). I guess the OP refers to the heavy rains Sunday evening..... did it drain off more quickly or are all the drains that have been laid a failure?  No standing water on Buakhao , nor 3rd on Tuesday despite getting more rain. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I guess the OP refers to the heavy rains Sunday evening

No I believe the OP refers to the rain Monday night/Tues early am.

Here is a You Tube video from Channel 36 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

nor 3rd on Tuesday despite getting more rain

In that video above you can see the flooding on 3rd Road at the Paniad Chang junction. It was however pretty much all gone when I came through it about 10/10.30  so it is definitely clearing quicker there than it used to.

1 minute ago, topt said:

No I believe the OP refers to the rain Monday night/Tues early am.

I was in town about 9am Tuesday and although we had a bit of heavy rain then there was no flooding in (South of Hellfire jcn) Buakhao bar a few puddles. Was it a lot earlier and had time to drain away?

3 minutes ago, topt said:

In that video above you can see the flooding on 3rd Road at the Paniad Chang junction. It was however pretty much all gone when I came through it about 10/10.30  so it is definitely clearing quicker there than it used to.

There is a junction of Paniad Chang and 3rd Rd? Don't they run parallel?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

I was in town about 9am Tuesday and although we had a bit of heavy rain then there was no flooding in (South of Hellfire jcn) Buakhao bar a few puddles. Was it a lot earlier and had time to drain away?

The really heavy rain where I was was around 1.00am to about 4ish I think - woke me up originally and kept me awake....

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is a junction of Paniad Chang and 3rd Rd? Don't they run parallel?

Paniad Chang (you see the sign in the video) is the 3rd Road junction half way between Klang and Nua with traffic lights - Mum Aroi on one corner, a small 7/11, Tah Siam and New Season 88 on the other corners.

21 minutes ago, topt said:

Paniad Chang (you see the sign in the video) is the 3rd Road junction half way between Klang and Nua with traffic lights - Mum Aroi on one corner, a small 7/11, Tah Siam and New Season 88 on the other corners.

Thanks.

I always thought it continued on past Lukdod and joined Nua nearly opposite the bus station. Lukdod  does list itself as on Yume.....

Anyhow, the Klang/3rd junction always was a flooding spot...so much so that I used to call it Pattaya Klong not Klang.

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, impulse said:

You can afford certain luxuries when your GDP per capita is 10x higher.

thailand's gdp could be so much higher than it is now. certain things... which we all know of...shhh... are holding this place back. 

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

You can afford certain luxuries when your GDP per capita is 10x higher.

Yes, and also when your country has a fraction of the annual rainfall of Thailand and that rainfall is pretty much spread evenly over the whole year and not basically concentrated in a few weeks as it is here.

Put Thailand's rain in the Netherlands and watch it sink.

Conversely put the Netherland's weather here and you would never get your feet wet.

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yes, and also when your country has a fraction of the annual rainfall of Thailand and that rainfall is pretty much spread evenly over the whole year and not basically concentrated in a few weeks as it is here.

Put Thailand's rain in the Netherlands and watch it sink.

Conversely put the Netherland's weather here and you would never get your feet wet.

Can you imagine the horror scenario if Thailand started building NL style dikes to keep sea water out?  Those same dikes would keep monsoon water in.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, watchcat said:

More or less. But they  can't prevent it.

They could.

Years ago it used to be like the OP picture in Meaung Chonburi on a regular basis. About 10 years or so ago they put in a network of 2 metre square drains, hasn't been any flooding since. The downside was the project created massive disruption for a couple of years.

Pattaya is caught between a rock and a hard  place. The disruption there over a similar period would probably cost more than the project itself in lost tourist revenue.

As we have seen over the years all they do is try and fix a major injury with sticking plaster.

Really is a case  of "No pain, No gain".

Have a look at the lower end of Soi Kownoi in East Pattaya you cant see the Drain covers for piles of Garbage thats been washed down the hill, so how is the rain supposed to drain away, its much the same throughout the city..