Aussies now need an ETA to enter Thailand

17 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Wasn't that just a Covid thing so went away along with compulsory PCR Tests & the one night mandatory isolation etc...?. 

Yes, it was a nightmare. Most people had to go through hell to get the Pass,  and when and if it eventually arrived it was past it’s valid date. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, kuzmabruk said:

All you people do is complain.  You lot must be fun to drink with.  Like a bunch of women.  What they are implementing is becoming a global standard and as a big economic player in the world Thailand needs to adapt and implement.  Give Thailand a break.  Stop whining and be thankful that you can live here.  

Looks like you’re new here !!!!!

On 9/4/2024 at 1:56 PM, snoop1130 said:

The Thai ETA is required for travellers from nearly 100 visa-waiver countries, including Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Canada, the United States, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, and most European nations

and most europeans nations ?  I have never heard of it.  Which european countries?

18 hours ago, redwood1 said:

So the ETA will decide if you come to Thailand too much?

Apparently people from Laos and other neighbouring countries wil have to apply for an ETA too. Many do border runs every 45 days. They will be more at risk I think.

On 9/4/2024 at 1:38 PM, redwood1 said:

Bla Bla Bla Bureaucrats have nothing better to do than think up new bothersome rules......  All for our convenience of course.....lol.........

Hey what happend to the Thai Pass? ......It was a mandatory paper that all MUST  have when entering Thailand........But its been completely forgotten about.......Like I think this nonsense will be forgotten...

if you were more widely travelled, instead of spending time thai bashing, you'd know that thailand is merely following many other countries in implementing an ETA

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, daejung said:

Apparently people from Laos and other neighbouring countries wil have to apply for an ETA too. Many do border runs every 45 days. They will be more at risk I think.

The illiterate have another cash hurdle to pass if no-one can help them.

Place is a joke for all this crap now. They could apply it as a means of psychological war torture.

11 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

I was not claiming anything. I was questioning how self check in can work with ETAs considering it is the airline's responsibility to repatriate if somebody arrives without the correct documentation.

Your comment referred to an existing arrangement, ESTA, so you were obviously aware of how that is currently operating when making the post. Weren't  you?

Also you appear to be misinformed regarding denial of entry. If you read the conditions of carriage you will find that the airline has the right to reclaim ALL expenses regarding repatriation from the passenger.

3 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Your comment referred to an existing arrangement, ESTA, so you were obviously aware of how that is currently operating when making the post. Weren't  you?

Also you appear to be misinformed regarding denial of entry. If you read the conditions of carriage you will find that the airline has the right to reclaim ALL expenses regarding repatriation from the passenger.

No. I am not aware. Why would I have heard of ESTAs if  I am not from the USA and have no intention of travelling there or to Europe etc? Yes. The airline can reclaim the costs of passage but needs to actually get the money. If the  passenger claims they do not have or refuses to pay they still need to provide carriage and somehow reclaim the money later. 

Edited by Wongkitlo
Edit

17 hours ago, VBF said:

Although it doesn't say, I would think that it would only be required from those who already need a visa.

Quite the opposite.

ESTA, ETIAS, ETA etc etc are all schemes for those who do not need a visa,  i.e. travelling on visa waiver,  visa exempt etc.

6 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

No. I am not aware. Why would I have heard of ESTAs if  I am not from the USA and have no intention of travelling there or to Europe etc?

So why quote it in a post?

If your sole concern is the Thai ETA, why not wait for the facts rather than posting unsubstantiated garbage.

If you can't wait, the best indicator will lie in how other countries have implemented a similar scheme. Maybe you should research ESTA.

34 minutes ago, sandyf said:

So why quote it in a post?

If your sole concern is the Thai ETA, why not wait for the facts rather than posting unsubstantiated garbage.

If you can't wait, the best indicator will lie in how other countries have implemented a similar scheme. Maybe you should research ESTA.

I am sorry your life is so boring you need to waste it misinterpreting my posts. I did not quote anything but was questioning how it would work with self check-in. I was willing for somebody to explain that to me but instead I had your quite antagonistic replies. It has little interest to me as I do not use visa exempt but am always slightly interested in processes. 

On 9/5/2024 at 8:03 AM, klauskunkel said:

So you enter some data on a website and this makes you trackable? How? I don't understand the mechanics of it...

Especially where the data you enter is literally the data from your passport. The same data that they'd scan currently when you enter...

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, sandyf said:
22 hours ago, VBF said:

Although it doesn't say, I would think that it would only be required from those who already need a visa.

Quite the opposite.

ESTA, ETIAS, ETA etc etc are all schemes for those who do not need a visa,  i.e. travelling on visa waiver,  visa exempt etc.

You're quite correct!!!!!!

I meant, and my post SHOULD have said:

"Although it doesn't say, I would think that it would only be required from those who already need a visa  DO NOT HOLD ANY SORT OF visa.

It was in response to @marin  and @Lacessit who were discussing people who already hold  a retirement visa,

:sorry: and well done @sandyf for being the only one to spot that!  I'll pay more attention in future 😮

UPDATE

New thread here with hopefully more accurate information

https://aseannow.com/topic/1337466-new-travel-rules-thailand’s-eta-to-shake-up-visa-free-visitors/

Edited by VBF
Update
  • Thumbs Up 1