New travel rules: Thailand’s ETA to shake up visa-free visitors

6 minutes ago, DFPhuket said:

If this online submission can be done in less than 5 minutes, as is the case for neighboring countries, and then allow you to walk off the plane and go through the e-Gates instead of standing in a queue, I'm all for it. It has worked great for me in Malaysia and Singapore. 

Yeah well they say that about the TM30 online, still never got that to work in the past 12 months

1 minute ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"If they want to get things under control, start with arresting agents. "

Arresting agents, for what exactly?

Bribery and corruption?, just a wild guess :smile:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Smokey and the Bandit said:

"If they want to get things under control, start with arresting agents. "

Arresting agents, for what exactly?

Bribery, falsifying government documents, fraud.

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Not quite, it is airport tax.

That has been included in the price of airline tickets for years. The only people that need to pay it are border bouncers living in LOS illegally.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

Hopefully the  individual trip requirement will change to  annual and then multi year. 

Wait until a planeload of Chinese, Arabs, Indians or Russians arrive and don't understand.

They would not be allowed on the plane.

• Thumbs Up 2

MacPhooey recently arrived with a new UK&NI PP, the IO girl asked me if I would be entering with my APEC Card - I told her that my APEC Card is linked to my old PP so it was obsolete, point being that they already had a link between my old and new PPs possibly from info in the new PP chip 😐

• Confused 2

Goodbye border runners and those who try to live in Thailand without a proper visas. If, and this is a big If, it’s implemented correctly the system should deny anyone from unlimited visa exemption entries. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

Just imagine all the hassle for the millions of package tourists from China and also other countries, especially so if any documentation beyond passport numbwr is needed in submission. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, 818Pilot said:

Goodbye border runners and those who try to live in Thailand without a proper visas. If, and this is a big If, it’s implemented correctly the system should deny anyone from unlimited visa exemption entries. 

No gloating, now.

25 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

And not everyone uses QR codes.

How do you live here without using QR codes. During covid you couldnt even enter many buildings including Immigration without QR codes

• Confused 2
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If this ETA would be same as e-visas, where creating a profile and logging into the system is required, you can more or less forget any elderly foreigners coming for tourism purpose from the "visa-free" countries, as they'd get lost in that page and give up, and switch to Malaysia or Philippines or... many other destinations that actually want them.

This visa-free thingy was basically a con. First you tell some countries they no longer need visas, then you tell everyone that the need one. Just called differently.

I wonder how long, after arrival numbers tank, this will all become a "misunderstanding". And don't get me wrong - I think ability to check people before they come is a good thing - but this isn't the right way of doing it. Especially troubling visitors to do it every time they travel.

Don't think you are the only person on the planet that can operate a computer.

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, black tabby12345 said:

Thailand introduced the Destination Thailand Visa (DTV), tailored for remote workers, digital nomads, and visitors attending approved activities. Priced at 10,000 baht (430 Aussie dollars), this visa allows a stay of up to five years, provided applicants can prove they have at least 500,000 baht for the duration of their stay.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like a de-facto Elite Visa for 5 years, now sold at only THB10000-.

I bet these are sad days in the Elite office....New sign-ups I bet have fallen off a cliff.......Time to make some ...Will Work For Food...signs...

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, kjdude said:

How do you live here without using QR codes. During covid you couldnt even enter many buildings including Immigration without QR codes

I used a QR code  to pay for a Lazada purchase at 7-11 one time.....The one and only time I have ever used a QR code.

32 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I bet these are sad days in the Elite office....New sign-ups I bet have fallen off a cliff.......Time to make some ...Will Work For Food...signs...

Looks like Thai govt changed their policy: From Luxury Department Store to Supermarket.

Edited by black tabby12345
  • Like 1