New travel rules: Thailand’s ETA to shake up visa-free visitors

30 minutes ago, mokwit said:

I know of older people who just came here on visa exempt rather than tourist visa once the online application was introduced*, now I guess they will just have to stop coming.

* not everyone knows you have to upload a blank jpeg file to proceed.

I'm intrigued.....

Where do you enter a blank jpeg?  On the eVisa site?

I didn't do that and in January 2024  found the eVisa application straightforward enough - certainly easier than when it was first introduced when it WAS a mess.

Also, fewer documents were required than in January 2023, so, IMO if they do it right, this could be the same as applying for a Tourist Visa but without the payment part.

I hope it is but we hall have to wait and see.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, VBF said:

I'm intrigued.....

I didn't do that and in January 2024  found the eVisa application straightforward enough - certainly easier than when it was first introduced when it WAS a mess.

Also, fewer documents were required than in January 2023, so, IMO if they do it right, this could be the same as applying for a Tourist Visa but without the payment part.

I hope it is but we hall have to wait and see.

Remember reading on here that this was a necessary worakround to be able to proceed with the application in some cases.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mokwit said:

Remember reading on here that this was a necessary worakround to be able to proceed with the application in some cases.

Thanks but I  wouldn't say that's true, certainly not now.

What you DO have to do is complete every stage of the application in order to progress it so if a file is called for, one must be supplied.

None of the requirements were difficult to comply with

Also, at the end, the system reviews the application and I think a blank document would fail.

Just now, sandyf said:

You could always get a visa,

Sorry, forgot, that is what you want to avoid.

Retirement extension. Sorry to disappoint you. You will have to stop gloating about me receiving a "stay Thailand too much" rejection email.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

So, I suppose us on long term extensions are not part of all this?

We can but hope. I haven't found an answer to the finger print issue yet ... maybe they haven't thought this through like always.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, craighj said:

These people are F-ing idiots that could not organise a root in a brothel!!!

One has to assume that you are applying that statement to all countries that have, or intend to have, a similar scheme implemented.

Or maybe you are just a bigot.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 818Pilot said:

system should deny anyone from unlimited visa exemption entries. 

but how many VE entries will the "system" allow in accordance with the recent increase tourism revenue policies?

Relax. Not much of a shakeup. 

When almost every country has already or planning. ESTA EITAS, K-ETA. 🇰🇷 Easy Peasy. Japan coming in 2030 according to this week news. 

A real shakeup would be Thailand mounting a modern border management system like Singapore and get rid of immigration chops. Not in my lifetime. 

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Every question that needs an answer requires that an upload is made, if that is not done you cannot proceed to the next section.

There is nothing to stop blank uploads being made but the poster was wrong to imply it was a standard practice.

If a question cannot be answered then uploading a note as to why would be a better option.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Retirement extension. Sorry to disappoint you. You will have to stop gloating about me receiving a "stay Thailand too much" rejection email.

Sorry for your difficulties,  obviously got a few.

• Sad 2

Too many questions yet to be answered.We will see if it is easy enough for all tourists . Would it reduce border hops as  it concerns land air and sea, Will there be travel insurance concerned , etc . I doubt it concerns any residents / expats  as you can apply for the correct visa ?  

The Australian e-visa ( mentioning that as it's in the OP ) asks if you have spent more than one year in jail. Bizarrely I don't know if that's an honesty question or if they actually check if you say no 🤣

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

My buddy tried using the e-Visa site and got so frustrated with it he gave up and just arrived on a 30 day stamp last year and then did the "30 day extension" and "border run" routine a couple times.

Korea Started K-ETA a few years back I think late part of covid

,then later made it optional for 22 countries include US until December 2024

Thai authorities might wonder if  their wonky app rollout is just in  time to crash High-Season?

I predict this will be delayed.

Anyway, after the usual frenzy of summer activity on AN, I did mention wait until September. If this is the only thing they do re access to the country then celebrate. I still fear there's bad news for many around the corner. 

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

Can that run on windows 95?

Will the app run on my Linux OpenSUSE Leap 15.6 desktop?

Linux is important opensource software.

Linux will be more secure for documenting New Travel Rules...

And, fewer glitches, too.

• Confused 3

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Won't it be the opposite?  With an ETA can't you use the automatic gates and not even have to speak to an Immigration Officer?

There's the word "supposed to"... Ever used goverment IT systems where consumers/users entering the inputs are required...?

Edited by mran66

4 hours ago, Satcommlee said:

Interesting, so this could impact a lot of people staying long term without the right visa, now instead of getting warning at immigration, they won't even let you on the plane...

Fortress Thailand. No entry without pre approval. Much easier to reject an application than turn away at airport/border.