What was your job (profession) when you moved to Thailand

still kicking

9 hours ago, timendres said:

Before TH, I was a programmer, mostly on a contract basis, with several brief stints as an employee.

Started two companies along the way, both failed.

When I came to TH full-time in 2010, I was working remote as a programmer for a firm in the US.

Great salary, great work, lasted a few years.

I then purchased a software development company in Bangkok.

Work permit, Thai salary, decent work, did it for 10 years.

Now retired.

I have a BSEE that was essentially worthless, other than it being a degree, since I went straight into programming.

However, way back then there were very few programmers, and demand was about to go parabolic.

I recall being introduced to programming just a little as a classroom teacher in, I think it was 1980. A path not taken.

Grew up as a "Boomer" in a blue collar, union, working middle class US family. Parents' Depression/WW II generation were determined to make higher education available. Taught middle school, high school and last 27 years US undergrad history. Retired as working middle class Professor Emeritus of History to a lower cost country. A most worthy way to use my life's breath ... just not the most financially wise profession decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

Last job Truck Mounted Crane Technician Aka Mechanic in OZ. 

Side note My qualifications in the UK and work record, gave me the same 'Points' as a degree, for Migrating to Oz when I was 42 yrs old. 

I would never 'want' to live there again 6yrs was enough, but thanks for the extra passport.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, gargamon said:

I was retired when I came to Thailand. Now if the title was:

What was your job (profession) BEFORE you moved to Thailand

I might have told you

Same for me. I was retired when I moved to Thailand at the age of 56.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, gargamon said:

45 for me, except I did Cambodia first.

47 for me, six years after retirement at 41.

I worked for various government departments, educational institutions, and industry bodies across Australia in the areas of project coordination, policy development, compliance, course writing and auditing, IT management, and as a security and threat analyst.

Basically, if it needed lots of documentation or processes whittled down OR created for efficiency and increasing productivity, I was your man.  

I now live on a massive rice farm with two dogs four hours to Khon Kaen or Bangkok, five hours to Pattaya, six to Nong Khai., and seven to Chiang Mai.

• Thumbs Up 1

Supervising ramp rat for airlines (NWA).   Computer weight & balance entry, load cargo, luggage, mail, was last salaried job, for 13 years,  (usually two 16 hr days a week). 

Arrived Thailand to stay Sept 14, 2000, age 45.  Spent last 6 months on the job, commuting from Thailand, though here/TH more than at work.  Burned up all my sick & vacation time.   Last day of employment March 4, 2001.  Also held ...

... commercial truck driver's license

... RE license

... FFL (Fed Firearms License/sell & collect), registered business

... Chimney Sweep, registered business

... Slum Lord

... unlicensed market investor

High school diploma & unsponsored online course w/30 days hands on computer training, prep for travel/airlines employment.

Born and raised in Philadelphia area, PA, USA.  Last 5 years lived & worked in Memphis, TN area.   Although followed the money, and lived in 6 different states over the years, PA, WV, NJ, MI, TN, FL.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, gargamon said:

I was retired when I came to Thailand. Now if the title was:

What was your job (profession) BEFORE you moved to Thailand

I might have told you

Bass guitarist and keyboard player in bands.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Supervising ramp rat for airlines (NWA).   Computer weight & balance entry, load cargo, luggage

These are the guys driving furiously around on those mini cars on the airport runways with orange lights ,throwing your luggage !