Labour's Britain: A Landscape of Bluster and Inaction

Social Media

3 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

What gaping holes, they have stated quite clearly its because of the halted improvements to the on the A40 dual carriageway. Nothing to do with your inflammatory claims.

"Even brain dead Telegraph readers might, and I stress might, be able to figure out that car park has been in existence a long time before July 5."

Let’s fill the gaping hole Brian:

Improvements halted due to budget constraints by Lib Dem County Council.

Nothing at all to do with the Labour Government.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23160536.project-improve-a40-oxfordshire-delayed/#

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s fill the gaping hole Brian:

Improvements halted due to budget constraints by Lib Dem County Council.

Nothing at all to do with the Labour Government.

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23160536.project-improve-a40-oxfordshire-delayed/#

Right and? That makes Telegraph readers "brain dead"?

Edited by Bkk Brian

5 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

May I draw your attention to the following;

Project to improve the A40 in Oxfordshire has been delayed - 30th November 2022

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23160536.project-improve-a40-oxfordshire-delayed/#:~:text=In April%2C the council's cabinet,its costs due to inflation.

The  former Conservative Council had approved the expansion, but local elections changed the composition of the council to a coalition of Lib Dems, Labour and Greens who inherited the project. They realized that they did not have the 

£106.7 million needed to pay for the project. Can they really be blamed for prudent management of finances?

Except there wasn’t enough money.

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Right and? That makes Telegraph readers "brain dead"?

Swallowing obvious attempts to blame the Government for something that is obviously a local county council problem gives cause to question if there is atrophy between he ears.

The Telegraph, it would seem, has as low opinion of its readers as I, why present such nonsense unless they thought it would be swallowed whole?!

Just now, Chomper Higgot said:

Swallowing obvious attempts to blame the Government for something that is obviously a local county council problem gives cause to question if there is atrophy between he ears.

The Telegraph, it would seem, has as low opinion of its readers as I, why present such nonsense unless they thought it would be swallowed whole?!

Why are you accusing people of being brain dead and swallowing things:

From the telegraph

"And it will remain thus until at least 2027 when there’s the prospect of further funding and an ease to the planning log jam. Nice big idea, but it’s on hold while the council tinkers around the edges, shuffles papers around, convenes meetings and looks around for people to blame."

13 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I don’t. 

Different assessment of different policy under different circumstances.

As explained in the link I provided.

At the time, the Conservatives rejected the claims and said Labour were “irresponsible scaremongering”.

Do think the Tories and their client press might now be engaging in ‘irresponsible s are mongering’?

From your own "fact check" link:

Claim: Labour’s own analysis said 4,000 pensioners could die if winter fuel payments are cut

Verdict: True

Also from the same link:

"On Sunday, Mr McDonnell was asked if he believed some pensioners “will die” as a result of what Rachel Reeves is proposing, and he told LBC: “Yes. That’s not me speaking.”

So what do you think of people like Starmer who knowingly plan to implement a policy that will kill pensioners before their time?   

2 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Why are you accusing people of being brain dead and swallowing things:

From the telegraph

"And it will remain thus until at least 2027 when there’s the prospect of further funding and an ease to the planning log jam. Nice big idea, but it’s on hold while the council tinkers around the edges, shuffles papers around, convenes meetings and looks around for people to blame."

Because it’s my opinion, the basis of which I have explained.

Infrastructure projects being placed on hold to address funding concerns.

I guess that’s something that never happened before July 5.

Because it’s my opinion, the basis of which I have explained.

Infrastructure projects being placed on hold to address funding concerns.

I guess that’s something that never happened before July 5.

That's not an opinion, its cheap name calling and more to the point inflammatory to the readers of the Telegraph.

2 minutes ago, James105 said:

From your own "fact check" link:

Claim: Labour’s own analysis said 4,000 pensioners could die if winter fuel payments are cut

Verdict: True

Also from the same link:

"On Sunday, Mr McDonnell was asked if he believed some pensioners “will die” as a result of what Rachel Reeves is proposing, and he told LBC: “Yes. That’s not me speaking.”

So what do you think of people like Starmer who knowingly plan to implement a policy that will kill pensioners before their time?   

As explained, different policy, different time, different circumstances.

You need to demonstrate that the Government are aware of increased deaths from the current proposal under the current circumstances 

That's not an opinion, its cheap name calling and more to the point inflammatory to the readers of the Telegraph.

It’s my opinion.

I’m sorry you object to me holding and expressing my opinions despite having explained the basis of why I hold that opionion.

It’s my opinion.

I’m sorry you object to me holding and expressing my opinions despite having explained the basis of why I hold that opionion.

This is not an opinion: "brain dead Telegraph readers"

Again from the Telegraph where readers are according to you brain dead:

"Changes to the A40 improvement scheme were submitted last September and now need to be approved by Homes England and the Department for Transport, which is funding the works and park and ride. The lengthy bureaucratic processes involved mean the car park is unlikely to be connected to the trunk road for a few years yet.?

Just now, James105 said:

Government is all about compromise and striking a balance between the ideal and what is practical/affordable/fair.In other words politics is the art of the possible.It doesn't matter whether a government is far left or the opposite.In healthcare for example the NHS cannot provide every expensive drug to every person that needs them.Thus some people are going to die before their time because they do not have access to these life saving drugs.Should the government be accused of "killing people"? I don't think so in this case.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

This is not an opinion: "brain dead Telegraph readers"

Again from the Telegraph where readers are according to you brain dead:

"Changes to the A40 improvement scheme were submitted last September and now need to be approved by Homes England and the Department for Transport, which is funding the works and park and ride. The lengthy bureaucratic processes involved mean the car park is unlikely to be connected to the trunk road for a few years yet.?

And The Telegraph, in snide contempt of their readers, neglect to mention the delays are absolutely nothing to do with the Labour Government.

Just so long as the readers get the ill informed message.

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

And The Telegraph, in snide contempt of their readers, neglect to mention the delays are absolutely nothing to do with the Labour Government.

Just so long as the readers get the ill informed message.

Who is running the "Department for Transport" and "Homes England"

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/department-for-transport

Edited by Bkk Brian

Brian, I’ve already provided you a link to a news report that explains the Project was instigated by and then has been halted by Oxfordshire County Council.

Not the DoT.

From a couple of days ago.

Changes to the A40 improvement scheme were submitted last September and now need to be approved by Homes England and the Department for Transport, which is funding the works and park and ride. The lengthy bureaucratic processes involved mean the car park is unlikely to be connected to the trunk road for a few years yet. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/09/06/empty-oxford-car-park-metaphor-starmer-britain/

https://archive.ph/L7MJE

From a couple of days ago.

Changes to the A40 improvement scheme were submitted last September and now need to be approved by Homes England and the Department for Transport, which is funding the works and park and ride. The lengthy bureaucratic processes involved mean the car park is unlikely to be connected to the trunk road for a few years yet. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/09/06/empty-oxford-car-park-metaphor-starmer-britain/

https://archive.ph/L7MJE

As already stated in the link to a credible source I posted, the budget was insufficient.

Your link is behind a paywall, which given the half truths we have already seen from the Telegraph is probably no loss to informed discussion.

As already stated in the link to a credible source I posted, the budget was insufficient.

Your link is behind a paywall, which given the half truths we have already seen from the Telegraph is probably no loss to informed discussion.

The link is not behind a Paywall and the Telegraph is a credible source with an updated article from 2 days ago, not the one you posted from 2 years ago. 

Just now, Bkk Brian said:

The link is not behind a Paywall and the Telegraph is a credible source with an updated article from 2 days ago, not the one you posted from 2 years ago. 

Sorry, it’s behind a paywall at my end.

I have already demonstrated the fact the Telegraph article in the OP has omitted salient details.

The Telegraph’s misrepresentation of facts in order to blame the Labour Government is worse than it looks:

The improvements to the A40 were halted by Oxfordshire County Council on November 29 2022.

1 Year 7 Months and 6 days before Labour came to power.

But during a meeting yesterday (Tuesday November 29) councillors decided to halt the project as it could exceed its costs due to inflation.”

The Telegraph’s misrepresentation of facts in order to blame the Labour Government is worse than it looks:

The improvements to the A40 were halted by Oxfordshire County Council on November 29 2022.

1 Year 7 Months and 6 days before Labour came to power.

But during a meeting yesterday (Tuesday November 29) councillors decided to halt the project as it could exceed its costs due to inflation.”

Is this false?

Changes to the A40 improvement scheme were submitted last September and now need to be approved by Homes England and the Department for Transport, which is funding the works and park and ride. The lengthy bureaucratic processes involved mean the car park is unlikely to be connected to the trunk road for a few years yet. 

This was presumably built under the chaotic Tory regime so hardly applicable to the current Labour govt. However, the sight and sound of Starmer, and most members of his cabinet, is less than inspiring. to put it mildly. Hopefully appearance is not an indicator of performance. We shall see...

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Government is all about compromise and striking a balance between the ideal and what is practical/affordable/fair.In other words politics is the art of the possible.It doesn't matter whether a government is far left or the opposite.In healthcare for example the NHS cannot provide every expensive drug to every person that needs them.Thus some people are going to die before their time because they do not have access to these life saving drugs.Should the government be accused of "killing people"? I don't think so in this case.

Government is about choices.  Let's review 2 of their choices. 

1.  They have increased train drivers salaries (who are already in the top 9% of earners) by 15%.

2.  They have removed the winter fuel allowance from the bottom 1%.

So yes, based on these choices I do believe the government should be accused of killing people.  I hope someone takes them to court for corporate manslaughter when the inevitable deaths highlighted in the Labour review are then highlighted by the media come winter.   

Do you think that train drivers already on £65,000+ are more deserving than pensioners on just £11,300 of governmental support? 

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Is this false?

Changes to the A40 improvement scheme were submitted last September and now need to be approved by Homes England and the Department for Transport, which is funding the works and park and ride. The lengthy bureaucratic processes involved mean the car park is unlikely to be connected to the trunk road for a few years yet. 

So canceled Nov 29 2022

Revised plans submitted to the then Tory DoT 10 months later in September 23

Where they sit for 9 months until Labour come to power in July 2024.

The Telegraph blame the 2 month old Labour Government.

And they think this is the stuff their readers deserve. 

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

So canceled Nov 29 2022

Revised plans submitted to the then Tory DoT 10 months later in September 23

Where they sit for 9 months until Labour come to power in July 2024.

The Telegraph blame the 2 month old Labour Government.

And they think this is the stuff their readers deserve. 

Deflection, is that statement false?

Do you still regard the Telegraph readers as Brain Dead?